cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable air compressor

Camper117
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 F250 with airbags. I'm looking for a portable air compressor that I can run off the auxiliary AC outlet in the cab of my truck (it's labeled as having a 115 watt capacity). I want something small to air up the bags off the truck's power so I don't have to run extension cords to my existing compressor, which is too large for the truck to run. Does anyone have any suggestions?
25 REPLIES 25

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a used Viair 300P off ebay for a good price. Then modified it to operate like a "normal" compressor by adding a pressure switch, gauge, quick release fitting and a new poly hose. The 300P has a higher cfm rating (2.3) compared to the 450P but lower duty cycle. I cut off the battery clamps and used a weatherproof marine trolling plug & recept. The recept. is mounted on the junction box in the A-frame (another mod.). I can reach all tires on the truck & TT with the hose.

The thing about 12 volt portable compressors is that they have a duty cycle rating that needs to be observed. Viair now has performance data on their website which helps. I didn't like the Viair curly hose and their tire inflator is junk.

I tested the 300P on a rear tire on our F250 that I run at 80 psi for towing. Can't remember the time, but it didn't take all that long to go from 60-80 psi.

The Q Industries MV-50 gets good reviews and is basically a knockoff of Viair, but cheapened up a bit. Both these are popular with off-roaders and their big tires. The 120 volt compressors are an option but are very loud and of course need 120 VAC - no good if out on the road or during CG quiet hours (like heading out early on another leg of a trip). If looking at 12 volt compressors, make sure there is full/proper data on psi/cfm & duty cycle.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
My 12 volt Harbor Freight compressor has been airing up our air bag pin box for a couple of years. Works great .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
I use a dual purpose 12v battery jumper/ air pump. Works fine for air bags, bikes, Motorcycles. Takes forever to add 5 psi to a MH tire. It's very handy as an aux battery jumper.

Norm

Edit- Mines a 15 yr old sealed lead acid unit, And its kind of big and clunky. I noticed there are very compact Li-Ion units now available.
F1BNorm

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you can beat a Viair for an onboard compressor using vehicle power, but they cost accordingly.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these, worked fine with the old 1500 and it's 45psi tires. The new 2500 at 80psi, it doesn't like one bit.

Works well on my tiny trailer tires and their 50psi rating. Two batteries shared shared between a drill for the jacks and a lantern as well.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Same here on the Ryobi. However it's only $40 at Home Depot, better than $55 at Amazon.

Already carry the drill for the stabilizer jacks, impact gun for wheels, led lanterns and fan.....so that Ryobi air station made sense.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have the Smitty Built compressor from Amazon? Over 5 cfm of air, impressive.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
jwandvassie wrote:
I love this one. Just set the psi you want and it'll cut off when reached. I run 80 psi in my trailer and truck tires when towing. Just make sure you get the big battery. I keep two with one on charge.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P731-Function-Inflator-Compressor/dp/B006NKLHOY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1485734703&sr=8-6&keywords=Battery+Powered+Air+Compressor
This is the one I have. It really couldn't be easier to use.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Cameo Phil wrote:
The 12 volt Viair 450P is a great portable compressor. It hooks directly to your battery terminals with alligator type battery clips. Will air up a 120psi trailer tire with no trouble.

+1

Cameo_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
The 12 volt Viair 450P is a great portable compressor. It hooks directly to your battery terminals with alligator type battery clips. Will air up a 120psi trailer tire with no trouble.
2002 Carriage Cameo F35CKB
2005 Chevy 3500 LT, CCLB 6.6L Diesel 4X4

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like my portable air compressor, I have discussed a larger CFM unit with PacBrake and maybe more storage than my current 1.5 gal of storage maybe 3 gal.

Image link not accessible

Use this to post pics to rv.net
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jwandvassie
Explorer
Explorer
I love this one. Just set the psi you want and it'll cut off when reached. I run 80 psi in my trailer and truck tires when towing. Just make sure you get the big battery. I keep two with one on charge.

Link

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Viair 450P Automatic Function 12v Portable Compressor, and I also have Stanley 115v 6gal. 150-Psi air compressor. and of course I can't find a picture of either. They both work great. and the both are clumsy to carry around.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a commercial for a device called "The Air Dragon" on TV, runs on 12 volt, not 120 volt,

I am not big on 12 volt compressors (have 2 or 3) Mine blows the 20 amp Lighter fuse long about 50 PSI and I need 60 for ye old space saver.. But it is enough to get me home to the 120vac Pancake job.. That puppy can hit 150 PSI no tribble.

But I think even my Black and Decker Air station would have an issue on a 115 Watt limit.

One quesiton.. You said that is a 120 volt outlet limted to 115 Watts (less than one amp) Are you sure that is not labeled 115 VOLTS?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times