cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Permanent campsite in the woods

Arabian_Horses
Explorer
Explorer
I have six acres of wooded land in Tn.that I am considering clearing a spot and putting hook-ups for a travel trailer. My concerns are animals getting into the camper, squirrels and such. I will only be staying in the camper about a week each month. I will be putting a metal garage cover over the camper. Has anyone done this? Is this a bad idea or good idea?
10 REPLIES 10

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
Be sure to check with the county folks ... strange laws ... not be legal ... can not ... can only be in an established Trailer court here.

They also do not allow ... they will even allow you ... They won't issue ... find out it is not legal to do...

... state it is legal ... These are local county laws...

Wow, that is a lot of government controlling and limiting your freedom! Not for me, glad you are comfortable with it.

As for the OP... Sounds like you have private property. Nothing wrong with building a shelter to cover your RV while it is being 'stored'. Of course, a RV dump for your tanks doesn't look much different than an septic line clean out. Power is important to keep it from freezing in the winter, and water is needed to fill your tanks before departure. Whether those are all hooked up every month when you are present is your own business.

Six acres is a lot of wooded land. No trespassing / keep out signs and closed / locked gates also apply to government officials who might be suspicious of any code violations. Don't advertise what you are doing. I like the idea of the metal storage 'carport' as that conceals what is underneath. A lot of code enforcement is now using Google Earth to see what is going on with a property, so out of sight is useful.

I would be a lot more concerned about 2-legged varmints than 4-legged. Three unattended weeks is a long time for squatters & thieves to do damage. It is not like RV's are built with physical security in mind. Even when in a locked storage yard, damage is rampant. I cannot imagine what could go on when thieves are given more than a few moments to do damage. You could return and find the campsite completely cleaned out, and the RV long gone.

As for the 4-legged, I would think a tightly buttoned up rig would go a long way. Crawl underneath and think like a mouse - they can get in the tightest places. Be sure to remove any edibles when you leave, aside from maybe stuff in closed cans. They will smell out the food and try to get in. Eliminate the olfactory incentive.

Just some ramblings, HTH,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
I think it is a good idea if your travel trailer is sealed up good.
Especially the undercarriage.

Guy

X2

hunter_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set up that is used for this purpose as well. I have a 5th wheel with a L-shape elevated deck built around the side and back that makes it very nice to hide gear/brush cutter deck under as a garage of sorts.

I use generators (big one for AC needs, small one for other use), but looking to add some solar this year, I added a septic holding tank (tank only, not system) to direct dump into. I added a cellular trail camera that takes a 4 pictures a day + any motion and send to my email. (about $27 a month fee - Spartan GoCam)

As far as pests, I put standard mouse traps on the outside parameter, fresh cab in the inside (not the best experience - but another layer of protection) and sprayed mouse-free on the undercarriage (better experience - but expensive). I still put some traps inside the basement to make sure nothing is getting inside... also I have a local bobcat that is helping in the effort.

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to install electric. Check on cost. Could be very expensive.

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
when you leave, lay out sticky traps. Rodents love potato chips; I stick a half chip in the middle for bait. Leave no open food or trash.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Flying critters also need to be blocked along with the insects both walking and flying. Put screen over your heater door, and your fresh tank breather tube outlet. Use a good 6-9 month insect block around the windows, door, wheels, etc. Protect or remove your sewer and water hoses. Disconnect the power plug or get a grommet that makes it air tight where it goes into your trailer.

It can be done but be prepared for some surprises the first time or two you go to the trailer. I have the same situation and it takes some effort, attention to detail and a good check list for when you are leaving.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to check with the county folks and see if you are allowed to do this. Each State/County has strange laws concerning living in a trailer on a permanent basic.

I know here in this county it would not be legal. We can park our RV's on our local property and sleep over sometimes etc but can not hookup sewer and take up permanent residence. The only permanent trailer residence can only be in an established Trailer court here.

They also do not allow living in a RV trailer on an empty lot while you are building your house etc...

I don't think they will even allow you to have power brought into an area like you are talking about and just have a power distribution panel on a pole. I think you have to prove you are building a house or building etc... I know of one person that tried to live in a barn/shop as his legal residence. That didn't work either... It all seems to hinge around adding proper sewer things... They won't issue a permit for you to do that...

Got to get the right permits before you start spending monies only to find out it is not legal to do...

Who knows how long it take before you get caught ignoring the laws.... Your call on that one haha... I know exactly what would happen to me haha...

Some areas in this state it is legal to take up residence on your property living in a trailer... These are local county laws...

Just saying - be aware what is legal and what isn't before spending alot of monies...

I know of several trailer cabins in the mtns around the Smoky Mtns in TN so it may not be a problem for you...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Think like a rodent. Look at all possible inlets and put aluminum sheeting over them. Maybe some rodent spray. I might consider a trail cam for two legged intruders.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is a good idea if your travel trailer is sealed up good.
Especially the undercarriage.
The other thing to consider: Is your property where you might have a problem with vandals ?

Guy

Moved from ATC