cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pls help - My black tank level is incorrect

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My black tank level is incorrect . It always shows 3/4 full . I do not plan to fix it as I know it is a common problem. I just wanted to ask the experts here . How to you know (or guess) when it is time to dump the tank without looking at the level indicator ?

thanks
19 REPLIES 19

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
The level of the freshwater tank is a good indication of how much has gone into the waste tanks, unless you are bringing large quantities of liquid refreshments aboard.

My black tank level indicator has never worked.

I have never worried as my fresh water is less than my black and gray tanks. When I run out of fresh water I go to a dump and dump the tanks and refill the fresh water.

If at a campground using their water I go two days then add about three full toilets bowls in the black tank and dump. I have found the wife and I can go 4 plus days on the black tank.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our fiver just one year. The sensors have never been accurate so we don't even use them. Experience has taught us when to empty....water in the shower, and looking into the toilet. Who needs sensors! ๐Ÿ™‚
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
sharker6 wrote:
Who needs a sensor? When your tank is full your feet get wet. Same with the grey tank and the shower.
Well you would really have to have a big bladder to get your feet wet using the stool. You should be able to notice when the slider is submerged!:W
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

sharker6
Explorer
Explorer
Who needs a sensor? When your tank is full your feet get wet. Same with the grey tank and the shower.
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RES, 2008 F250 Diesel FX4

bob_b1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just ignore it. I've never filled the black tank in the last 11 years of ownership.
You'll need to dump that gray tank more than Twice before the black tank needs dumped.
If you still are still convinced that you need to fix the sensor, do a search on the GEO Method. There is a lot of good information on tank cleaning in his post.
'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates:)

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently I am one of the lucky 10% that doesn't have this problem, at least on a long term basis. Every once in a while when we are camping, if I don't rinse out the tank after dumping, the reading may not be correct. Probably some TP stuck on the sensor.

Fortunately our MH has a built in tank rinser which definitely works well. After 5 years, our currently empty black tank reads Empty on the sensor. I've never used anything to clean out the tank other than rinsing it with water.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would say 90% of all RVers have your problem.. I just ignore the beast.. My tanks have other ways of saying "DUMP, SOON".

There are 3 or 4 different sensor sets.

Standard is a row of nails, or equivlant of nails, these penetrat the tank wall, Just a metal rod inside the tank, if the rod is WET, then clearly the level is at least that high. The "Gauge" senses which rods are wet and shows the level.. The problem is that slime on the walls keeps them wet all the time.

HORST miricle probes are "1b" for this discussion, Same type of sensor but they have done a few things to make them less suspectable to slime.. Supposed to be good, I hope to install later this year.

There are Pneumatic sensors.. These measure pressure at the sensor point, if the pressure on both sides of the sensor is the same, It's not that full, If the pressure is higher INSIDE the tank, it is that full... I have only seen these in the instruction manual for my macerator toilet. alas the sensors were NOT installed.

In theory you could weigh the tank. Several companies make load cells that could do this.

SEE LEVEL sensors use some sort of electrical sensing to measure the level inside the tank.. People who have this type of sensor.. Say it works well.. The only problem is if the sensor falls off the tank These are the Cadillacs of the sensors.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
As others said, after using it a few times, you will know. Also, as I heard someone mentioned on here, when it burps. Yes, it will burp when you flush it and it's full.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Have had four RVs that had internal tank sensors. None were still working after the first year. Limited success with all the tricks with cleaners, ice, etc. Now have one with external sensors. Only three months old so, we'll see.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
We had the exact same problem. 3/4 full and wouldn't budge. I tried everything(spent a fortune on vinegar and ice) We sat in LV for 2 winters (very hard water) so the hard water calcium built up was registering false readings. I got the gray tank cleared with hot water and vinegar, but when we got home, I decided I wanted the black reading empty. "These things bug me" I ordered

Black tank wand

It will bend into all corners of the tank. It took about 20 minutes of moving it into all corners and WAHLA tank read empty.

Definitely worth the trouble

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
The level of the freshwater tank is a good indication of how much has gone into the waste tanks, unless you are bringing large quantities of liquid refreshments aboard.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMT830 , yes. I guess that is the "best" level indicator. As My wife always says "if we see diamonds floating above the mine, we know the mine is full of diamonds. It is time to empty."

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Cody - can you see straight down into the tank looking down the toilet with the valve open?

The fuller the tank the better the dump
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
If you use your rig a lot you will pretty much just know when it is getting full. But if nothing else when it gets full you will know when you flush. It is a pretty simple system. It may burp a little when you flush when it is real full. Eventually you will actually see the contents coming up the 3 inch line, hard to miss. Of course you want it to be at least 2/3 full when you dump so there is enough liquid to get rid of all the solids. Keep in mind the worst than can happen is you could end up with a little in the bowl. Not a crisis.

You must not have a flush kit installed.

We hook up the drain hose to the dump station, pull the slide valve for the black tank, allow to empty, then close the slide valve. Then pull the slide valve for the grey tank, allow that water to chase out the black waste in the hose. then close the grey tank valve.

to flush the black tank, we simply hook up a water hose to the flushing fitting and partially fill the black tank then empty again. repeat as required to insure the tanks flushed out.

I do not have a flush valve on my truck camper blank tank but I do have one on my 5th wheel Cardinal. But with either rig I still like to have 2/3 of a blank tank before dumping if possible. It just provides enough volume to push most the contents out. I also clean out with grey water after black water.

By the way thats one cool airplane you have there in your profile website!!!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!