cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Police hunting RV in Atlanta Area

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone in the Atlanta area that observes a RV with damage to right front that looks recent, notify the Police.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/police-seek-rv-driver-in-fatal-i-75-hit-and-run/nbZhR/
59 REPLIES 59

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
... I like to leave more than 1 car length between me and the vehicle in front.....
I like to leave room for an 18 wheeler plus breathing room. That tactic paid off big for both me and an 18 wheeler on one trip. I saw brake lights way ahead just as a VW bug in the first lane cut in front of the 18 wheeler in the second lane so I slowed more, flashed the lights and the 18 wheeler moved in front of me. He thanked me. He would have made a mess of the VW bug if he had no place to go.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the truth. We, with 3 other RV were making our way in to the Marshalling Yards at the Georgia Dome this past Labor Day weekend. We were driving in from Norcross for the CFA Kickoff game.

No matter the speed, if a mere car length and a quarter developed, a car was going to fill it. It's amazing how little concern those folks give for the stopping distance of a truck pulling a trailer.

I kept falling further behind because I like to leave more than 1 car length between me and the vehicle in front.

down home wrote:
I don't know one way or the other on the wreck.
However in Atlanta we have had numerous close calls of people cutting us off in the MH. We've had them come from the right lane over to the lane left of us while we were riding the brakes. No one will let you have space to slip into the lane you need. They ride right on the side of you and the corners despite braking or accelerating to get hopefully in position to change lanes. There have been several that resent you being on their road? They fly in front of you and stand on the brakes.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

quicksilverado
Explorer
Explorer
If the RV driver had simply pulled over he would not be in the trouble he is. Not a difficult concept to understand.

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I do not know whether the charges against the driver will hold up or not, but I imagine they are initially charging worst possible and then can reduce or drop later as story becomes clearer.

That's modern-day prosecution in a nutshell.
Throw the book at someone, to scare them into pleading guilty to a lessor charge so trial can be avoided.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Atlanta traffic will not hold a light to the traffic and the drivers north of LA at the 210, 5, and 14 intersection. That is the worst I have ever expierenced (other than Hong Kong).

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know one way or the other on the wreck.
However in Atlanta we have had numerous close calls of people cutting us off in the MH. We've had them come from the right lane over to the lane left of us while we were riding the brakes. No one will let you have space to slip into the lane you need. They ride right on the side of you and the corners despite braking or accelerating to get hopefully in position to change lanes. There have been several that resent you being on their road? They fly in front of you and stand on the brakes.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
AprilWhine wrote:
hitchup wrote:
A Prius owner not wearing a seatbelt, I'm not surprised he was killed.

Why do you think the person riding in the passenger seat is the owner? I would assume it belonged to the driver.

That's what I get for assuming they were married heading back to FL. She, the nameless driver lived and he (the one with a name) passenger died.

Sure glad you all like to pick on everyone for reading something into an article. :E
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

antiquedrose
Explorer
Explorer
Wreck Saturday, guy surrendered Tuesday, wonder why? Perhaps skipping out on revelant drug and alcohol testing. Just a guess.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know whether the charges against the driver will hold up or not, but I imagine they are initially charging worst possible and then can reduce or drop later as story becomes clearer.

For those that are not familiar with the area, this is a VERY heavily traveled section of I75. It is one of the last exits before you reach I285 (the Atlanta bypass) and is scary crazy even if you know where you are going. Both the Prius and the RV were not from the area, so were likely searching for the correct lane. I know in the Atlanta area, there are lots of folks that switch lanes constantly, so there may have been more involved in causing the accident than just those two. I will say that in 2 years of living and daily driving in the area near that intersection, my DD had 4 accidents, and only one was she actually charged. She had only had 2 accidents (and 1 at fault) in the previous 10 years of city driving in other cities. I think that exit is one of the most frequent sites of crashes in the area.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many of us are surprised time and again that other drivers will hang in your blind spots for miles oblivious to the danger that they put themselves in. I drove truck professionally back in the 70's and saw lots of "things". My DW years ago drove my parents Class C a few times, however I do not believe she has the skills to drive our 20K+ pickup and 5th wheel. She tends to over react to situations on the road, which is not good when towing.

We had a case a few years ago of a 5th wheel heading South in the hammer lane on I-5 in Washington traveling above the towing speed limit and was unable to stop when traffic backed up. He crossed over to the North bond lanes and killed two or three people in a vehicle going the other direction. About 18 months later they gave him a 450 dollar fine for failure to control his vehicle or something similar to that.

Again, lets hear the whole story of this one!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rv driver was on tv in Atlanta last night and stated there was a paint scrape on the front of his rv.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
JJBIRISH wrote:

These things will all be a part of the processโ€ฆ
but if there is no damage to the RV (as though he wasnโ€™t involved) why would he leave the scene and then call 10 miles down the road, and a full hour after the accident??? It all is strangeโ€ฆ
but it takes almost no impact at highway speed, just a tap to the rear quarter-panel, to cause exactly what has been describedโ€ฆ maybe nothing more than paint exchangeโ€ฆ

It would by then have been all over the local news and soon someone would discover him in the parking lot he was hiding in, or on the highwayโ€ฆ
would calling then be assumed as a show guilt or concernโ€ฆ I personally think it would be a sign of guilt with no way out because his plate number was given by another witnessโ€ฆ there is nothing good that can come out of this no matter what the final outcome isโ€ฆ

but he in my opinion is charged correctlyโ€ฆ he in fact was involved, he in fact started the chain reaction accident, the chain reaction accident resulted in a deathโ€ฆ and he in fact did unlawfully faill to stop for a collisionโ€ฆ ten miles and on hour later would not reverse the requirement of stopping for a collision in anyoneโ€™s mindโ€ฆ and I think he was hiding in the parking lot to evade getting caught until he realized it was a useless effortโ€ฆ

he was charged correctly in my mind and I havenโ€™t read anything differentlyโ€ฆ

what was he doing for the hour he was at Wal-Mart??? Maybe trying to buff out scratches or paint transferโ€ฆ sound like a one hour jobโ€ฆ but the type of damage hasnโ€™t been mentionedโ€ฆ

So you were a witness and know that he caused the accident? Or have you seen a video tape that shows without a doubt that this RV driver caused the accident? Hope none of you are on my jury, as I do not think we know yet what really happen, yet most of you are ready to hang'm high!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
TInmania wrote:
JJBIRISH wrote:
In GA homicide by vehicle is a felony, and a first degree felony only requires the driver shows negligent behavior that caused an accident with a death(I donโ€™t believe that means he had to cause the death, only the accident that caused the death) โ€ฆ

also one of several other circumstances are included, like school bus overtaking, failed to stop, were driving in a reckless manor, or under the influence, attempted to escape, or have been habitual offendersโ€ฆ

I would think by GA law he is properly chargedโ€ฆ of course heโ€™s not been proven guilty of anything yet and our knowledge of the true facts are limitedโ€ฆ

Still in my book leaving the scene automatically puts a cloud over his headโ€ฆ I canโ€™t imagine someone being able to do thatโ€ฆ

I don't agree that he was properly charged with first degree homicide by vehicle. From what I read that is reserved for special cases and I don't think it applies here--and certainly not if there was no damage to his RV.

"In the state of Georgia, first degree homicide by vehicle is a felony offense. A first degree felony is the worst kind of charge connected to vehicular homicide because it relates to the most reckless and negligent behaviors. A person can face first degree homicide by vehicle charges under the following circumstances: if the driver met or overtook a school bus; if they unlawfully failed to stop for a collision; if they were driving in a reckless manner; if they were driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs; if they failed to stop for a law enforcement officer; if they attempted to escape a police officer; or if they were previously declared a habitual violator."
http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/explaining-vehicular-homicide-in-georgia

I can't see how an alleged illegal lane change, while not evading police or involved in some other illegal activity--such as DUI--can become first degree homicide by vehicle. A jury will buy that is the most reckless behavior?

Leaving the scene is another issue. Even that could be murky if he really did stop and give a report to an Atlanta officer, a few miles down the road.

What I can see as first degree is if he hightailed it from an accident scene and then caused an accident while fleeing.

Michael

These things will all be a part of the processโ€ฆ
but if there is no damage to the RV (as though he wasnโ€™t involved) why would he leave the scene and then call 10 miles down the road, and a full hour after the accident??? It all is strangeโ€ฆ
but it takes almost no impact at highway speed, just a tap to the rear quarter-panel, to cause exactly what has been describedโ€ฆ maybe nothing more than paint exchangeโ€ฆ

It would by then have been all over the local news and soon someone would discover him in the parking lot he was hiding in, or on the highwayโ€ฆ
would calling then be assumed as a show guilt or concernโ€ฆ I personally think it would be a sign of guilt with no way out because his plate number was given by another witnessโ€ฆ there is nothing good that can come out of this no matter what the final outcome isโ€ฆ

but he in my opinion is charged correctlyโ€ฆ he in fact was involved, he in fact started the chain reaction accident, the chain reaction accident resulted in a deathโ€ฆ and he in fact did unlawfully faill to stop for a collisionโ€ฆ ten miles and on hour later would not reverse the requirement of stopping for a collision in anyoneโ€™s mindโ€ฆ and I think he was hiding in the parking lot to evade getting caught until he realized it was a useless effortโ€ฆ

he was charged correctly in my mind and I havenโ€™t read anything differentlyโ€ฆ

what was he doing for the hour he was at Wal-Mart??? Maybe trying to buff out scratches or paint transferโ€ฆ sound like a one hour jobโ€ฆ but the type of damage hasnโ€™t been mentionedโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
In GA homicide by vehicle is a felony, and a first degree felony only requires the driver shows negligent behavior that caused an accident with a death(I donโ€™t believe that means he had to cause the death, only the accident that caused the death) โ€ฆ

also one of several other circumstances are included, like school bus overtaking, failed to stop, were driving in a reckless manor, or under the influence, attempted to escape, or have been habitual offendersโ€ฆ

I would think by GA law he is properly chargedโ€ฆ of course heโ€™s not been proven guilty of anything yet and our knowledge of the true facts are limitedโ€ฆ

Still in my book leaving the scene automatically puts a cloud over his headโ€ฆ I canโ€™t imagine someone being able to do thatโ€ฆ

I don't agree that he was properly charged with first degree homicide by vehicle. From what I read that is reserved for special cases and I don't think it applies here--and certainly not if there was no damage to his RV.

"In the state of Georgia, first degree homicide by vehicle is a felony offense. A first degree felony is the worst kind of charge connected to vehicular homicide because it relates to the most reckless and negligent behaviors. A person can face first degree homicide by vehicle charges under the following circumstances: if the driver met or overtook a school bus; if they unlawfully failed to stop for a collision; if they were driving in a reckless manner; if they were driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs; if they failed to stop for a law enforcement officer; if they attempted to escape a police officer; or if they were previously declared a habitual violator."
http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/explaining-vehicular-homicide-in-georgia

I can't see how an alleged illegal lane change, while not evading police or involved in some other illegal activity--such as DUI--can become first degree homicide by vehicle. A jury will buy that is the most reckless behavior?

Leaving the scene is another issue. Even that could be murky if he really did stop and give a report to an Atlanta officer, a few miles down the road.

What I can see as first degree is if he hightailed it from an accident scene and then caused an accident while fleeing.

Michael