cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prepped for Second AC Question

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I will soon pick up our new travel trailer and it has a 50 amp power supply and is prepped for a second air conditioner. The air conditioning is ducted ac. If I want to add a second ac unit in the future will it be as easy as removing the bedroom vent and adding a second unit? Will there be wiring that runs to the thermostat? I was just curious. We are going to try a week at the beach in June and will probably know after that if we want a second ac. To give more detail this is a 2015 Evergreen Sun Valley S29DB
11 REPLIES 11

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
RockyMt wrote:
My unit was wired and ready for second Air Cont.- it ducted right into the existing duct work and thermostat was a ready for the unit.There was an outlet cover on the ceiling marked.

Thanks for the info, this is different from the other posts. I have contacted Evergreen today and will let everyone know if they respond.

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
My unit was wired and ready for second Air Cont.- it ducted right into the existing duct work and thermostat was a ready for the unit.There was an outlet cover on the ceiling marked.

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all of the great information. We are going to see if one ac will do the job but I am a little concerned about a week at the beach in a site without shade.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree what is said above the only thing I ran into when I did mine was my roof was thicker than what the AC came with. So, I had to order a thicker install kit. When you remove the existing vent you can measure the thickness of your roof and order accordingly...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
RedGATitan wrote:
The second a/c will be independent of the main ducted unit and will only blow into the area it is installed in. If your doing a DIY installation you will need to order a non ducted unit. If your new travel trailer has is prepped for second a/c, it should have a blank receptacle cover near the vent in the front. Wiring will be behind this cover. The hardest part of the installation is getting the a/c up on the roof.

X2

RedGATitan
Explorer
Explorer
The second a/c will be independent of the main ducted unit and will only blow into the area it is installed in. If your doing a DIY installation you will need to order a non ducted unit. If your new travel trailer has is prepped for second a/c, it should have a blank receptacle cover near the vent in the front. Wiring will be behind this cover. The hardest part of the installation is getting the a/c up on the roof.
2003 F-250 PSD 4X4
2013 Outback Sydney 331 FRK

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
dee74 wrote:
I will soon pick up our new travel trailer and it has a 50 amp power supply and is prepped for a second air conditioner. The air conditioning is ducted ac. If I want to add a second ac unit in the future will it be as easy as removing the bedroom vent and adding a second unit? Will there be wiring that runs to the thermostat? I was just curious. We are going to try a week at the beach in June and will probably know after that if we want a second ac. To give more detail this is a 2015 Evergreen Sun Valley S29DB

While this is a complete guess, I think unless you have a very high end unit or MH with multi A/Cs installed from the factory your second A/C will not be ducted, but a direct exhaust with the thermostat in the ceiling panel so it's basically a totally self contained unit. The wiring should be run to the Vent opening where the second A/C is to be installed.

The reason for it being a non ducted system is that A/C systems are designed with specific duct system laid out to ensure the best cooling and air distribution and having one designed for two units with only one installed would not be efficient.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dee74 wrote:
Thank you for the replies I just was not sure if it worked off of the single thermostat that is already in the tt and I was not sure how or if it connected to the existing ducting. I will need to take a look when I pick up the tt or contact Evergreen and see what I can find out.

Contacting Evergreen would provide better info...speak with production/floor manager not an office clerk
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies I just was not sure if it worked off of the single thermostat that is already in the tt and I was not sure how or if it connected to the existing ducting. I will need to take a look when I pick up the tt or contact Evergreen and see what I can find out.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Typically 'prepped for 2nd A/C' means breaker slot is available and AC wiring has been run (next to bedroom vent area)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
I would imagine you will need to remove the inside cover of the vent you want to install the new AC unit in and check to see if the ductwork is already there. It may not be and any new AC unit you put there will just blow down directly out of the inside control panel.
I am sure though that if it says its prepped for a second AC unit then the wiring is there for the electric however, it probably does not have thermostat wires unless you already have a second thermostat on the wall.
Good Luck
SK