cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally did it!

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
purchased a 2015 Keystone Outback 32ft 5th wheel and a 2005 Ford 350 to pull it.

so excited for our first trip this weekend! reading somewhere in here about watching underpass heights. ordered the atlas that supposedly shows the heights but now I've got that to worry about.

first trip is from Oklahoma City to Austin for a wedding. was thinking of taking 281 on into to Austin from Wichita Falls. now I'm thinking I'm going to have to stay on I35 the entire way.

never considered height when we upgraded from the C class.

not meaning to complain but dang it I figure its going to be too late by the time I can read the clearance heights on underpasses.
10 REPLIES 10

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
well, we made it without taking out any bridges! closest we saw was 13'11". plenty of space.

my parking(backing) fears never came to pass. had myself so worked up by the time we got there my stomach was in knots! very large spot with plenty of room to pull forward etc. so I got my first slot backing done!

so much easier to drive than the C-class we had. wind from semi's etc. not a bother at all.

all in all a great first adventure!

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
have the atlas on order. only figured out the truck has a GPS a couple days ago will have to try and figure that out.

going to get up top this evening and see how close the actual height is to the 13.2 the manual states.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Trucker's Atlas, which you can purchase from almost any truck stop. The first thing you should do is actually measure your exact height while hooked up.

You can't go by what the specs may say for your rig. I am 13'5" exactly and keep my RV GPS set at 13'6", but I also consult my Trucker's Atlas prior to traveling each days route.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget about low tree branches, phone and cable lines, ripped one of those down and older gas station canopies. Congrats on your new rig and have a ball.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Pick up a copy of the Truckers Road Atlas or see if there's a Smart Phone app. I have a "height phobia" and found that very handy to put my mind at ease. Up here in the northeast low bridges can be a problem, even on the not-so-far off the beaten path.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Outback 5ers look like they're 13'1" tall across the board so you can relax.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
THIS will also help.

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
What is the highest point on your RV?

I seriously doubt you'll have an issue unless you get WAY off the beaten path.

Each state has a list of restrictions you can check online from anywhere.

Example.

ediemarie
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
So nice! From one Outback to another ... YOU'LL LOVE YOUR OUTBACK! This may well be the very last camper you ever purchase!

Congrats! (get photos!)

thanks, that's great to hear! she had everything we wanted and everywhere we wanted it!

as is said looking forward to many years of travel but that height thing is just sitting back there making me worry.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
So nice! From one Outback to another ... YOU'LL LOVE YOUR OUTBACK! This may well be the very last camper you ever purchase!

Congrats! (get photos!)