cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Progressive Insurance

surfride
Explorer
Explorer
This post is about my claim experience with Progressive. I damaged two of my basement doors on my motorhome, nothing structural, a cosmetic repair, should be a turn and burn repair; yeah right. As it turns out these doors are aluminum and aluminum is near impossible to repair; who knew, I thought they were sheet metal... When I called to make the claim, an adjuster called back and said they were too busy to schedule an appointment. Seriously? I live in San Diego, they cannot cover Southern California to get an adjuster out in a day or two... Ten days and they finally sent someone out, nice enough guy, but he knowingly shorted the estimate by over 25%, underestimating the cost of the doors by nearly 65%. Even after he explained why the doors had to be replaced he estimated replacement of 400 per door, knowing Fleetwood charged 1100 per door, how do I know he knew; he told me himself what they cost for various manufacturers, why didnt he call FW himself and get an exact price?

There are three shops in San Diego equipped to handle rv body repairs; of the two I called they both were reluctant to work on a claim from Progressive. The shops told me Progressive is known for intentionally shorting estimates and they dont want to waste their time going back and forth with Progressive for more money trying to get ahold of their adjusters. Progressive does not have enough adjusters for my area, it took me three days to get a call back from my adjuster just for him to tell me there is nothing he can do. So in my case the shop tried to patch the doors without discussing it with me, the adjuster was correct they cannot be repaired, the patch is easily spotted. Progressive's position; you picked the shop we cant do anything; but it was their intentionally low balling the estimate by 25% that created this problem. My motorhome has now sat for six weeks and Progressive is laughing all the way to the bank. Brilliant business strategy. THANKS FLO!

(Have fun all you Progressive cyber-shrills)
~surfride
39 REPLIES 39

rvrev2
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted on this forum in the past that I will NEVER used Progressive Insurance. The reason why can be found at this link: http://www.rhodeislandinjurylawyerblog.com/2012/08/my-take-on-the-progressive-ins.html, or you can just Google Progressive Insurance Lawsuit Scandal.
Katie Fisher, a 24 year old John Hopkins graduate, was killed in an automobile accident on June 19, 2010. The OTHER driver ran the red light and struck Katie, thereby causing her death. That driver was insured by Nationwide. Nationwide quickly paid out the entire limits of their auto policy. Katie, however, also maintained an UNDERINSURED auto policy. This means that if the other driver does not have enough coverage to pay for your damages (and in the case of a tragic death - no amount is enough) then your own insurance company, in this case Progressive, should cover the difference. Katie was entitled to $100,000 under this policy.

Progressive refused to pay out. Maryland doesn't allow people to take out lawsuits against their insurance companies. So, Katie's estate had to take out a lawsuit against her killer. Progressive sent one of their lawyers to defend Katie's killer just so that they would not have to pay out. Katie's killer and Progressive loss this lawsuit, and Progressive was forced to pay.

In other words, Progressive defended their own policy holder's killer just so that they would not have to pay what they had agreed to pay in their contract.
2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG
2005 Chevy 2500 HD, crew cab, long bed
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I hit a tree last year which required a new roof and some paint work. I let my local insurance company know and they said they would turn it in. The next day the adjuster called me, and told e what they would pay. Then he told me if it goes over he would write another check. Unit was repaired and all was paid except deductible. Very easy situation. This was all done in Amarillo TX.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
Alfred622 wrote:
Hmmm... I've had Progressive for nearly 10 years on my RV... but have NEVER had a claim. Your post makes me wonder if I should be looking elsewhere.

I'd be very interested in experience others have had with Progressive Insurance.....
In 2001 I had a new Prowler with fiberglass exterior. All my previous trailers had been aluminum siding. Well I had just washed the 2 week old camper and was getting ready to wax it. My six foot aluminum ladder was standing at the front door while I was on the ground getting my stuff ready. All of a sudden a gush of wind grabbed the ladder and slammed it into the front door. It punched a silver dollar size hole in the front door. Of course the then wife wasn't a happy camper. When I contacted Progressive they said they would repair the hole and told me to take it back to my dealer. In a day or two my dealer called and said that he had ordered a new door for the trailer. He said that he told the adjuster that showed up that he knew I wouldn't be happy with the repair because he knew that the repair would always be visible. The adjuster approved a new door and all I had to pay was my deductible. That has been the only claim that I ever had before and after with Progressive. I don't know how their current service is but the one time I have had a claim I was more than pleased with how it turned out.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
We have Progressive on our trailer and on my bike. I never looked at the companies political stance. I am overjoyed that I inadvertently am doing business with a company that supports many of the same things I cherish. Like civil liberties!

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
I've had two major claims (both windshields replaced at the same time and tornado damage) with Progressive and they were quick, very professional and my premiums have not increased. Iโ€™ve had claims with State Farm on my auto and home and theyโ€™ve been a pain in the neck on both of them.

Based on many posts in this forum it appears that it can vary greatly from state to state how well an insurance company handles their claims. Here in Indiana the places I had the RV repairs done said they prefer Progressive over all other insurance companies because they pay timely and are fairly accurate with their estimates.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Taverniti wrote:
We have Progressive and a recent claim was handled without issue. Will continue with Progressive.

X2
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

easttexan
Explorer
Explorer
You do realize that the correct forum for insurance complaints is the State Board of Insurance. They can actually help you, as should your insurance agent. If they don't, I can assure you there are lawyers that will happily help you with a "bad faith" claim. A lot of state laws allow treble damages, etc. So, it basically boils down to the fact that if a door costs $2000 and you have replacement cost coverage, they owe you $2000. If you have not pursued it further, that is your fault, not Progressive or some dead guy.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I had one claim with Progressive for around $3,200 that was handled quickly and with no problems. There are good and bad claim adjusters.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
It is not just the manufacturer, of the bay doors you might have problems parts from. Our Mh was just two years old when the slide stopped working. The dealer hot wired the old motor and it was not the right motor either. It took a few weeks to get it. Fleetwood at the time now American Coach called the mfg and they took time to build the motor. No one stocks parts any more. It might be good for inventory taxes but it is terrible for Customers and Customers remember the next time they buy. Same with Son's Soltice. they had to make the door as all the doors they were getting were going to the car production line. Somehow someone interveined and they pulled one from the line.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may want to edit the heading. There is Progressive Dynamics that makes converters, Progressive Industries that makes EMS/surge protectors, as well as Progressive Insurance.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Prowler Doug wrote:
I manage a collision repair shop and we wont work on progressive insured vehicle's. Its not just your area its nationwide. Good luck.

Nationwide is the wrong choice of words. (Nationwide is on your side). "All over the country" would be a better choice. ๐Ÿ™‚

Prowler_Doug
Explorer
Explorer
I manage a collision repair shop and we wont work on progressive insured vehicle's. Its not just your area its nationwide. Good luck.
2005 1500 Hemi Ram
2007 Fleetwood Prowler Classic 240 RKS

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Campinfan wrote:
Thanks for the info. I won't use them but also because of the political views of the owner /person running the company. Why do you think they call it Progressive?

Today's world economy is too complex to even attempt to base purchases on the socio-political opinions of suppliers of goods or services. Shouldn't buy goods from red China. (The goal of communist countries is to defeat democracies). Shouldn't buy Arab oil. (Muslims hate infadels). Somebody likes gays, someone else hates them. Someone dislikes birth control, someone else favors it. Someone favors legalizing pot, someone else uses it legal or not. I'm purchasing a good or service from the source that does the best job of providing it, not from the source that votes as I do.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I just went thru a claim with Progressive due to hail damage. They did write up for about half of what the shop wants. Once the shop called they totaled it and want a pretty healthy buy out. The only delays were us getting it to the shop and the shop taking the time to write it up.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

PortWentworthSa
Explorer
Explorer
We have Progressive on our MoHo. Been with them for 12+ years. We had 2 major claims over $10K each. No problems with them at all. Never had a rate increase due to claims either. In fact, even though I have 2 big claims I still have vanishing deductible. I'm down to $175.00 now so I will stay with PROGRESSIVE