Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max tire psi vs door panel max load psi

syndrome85
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a tire pressure question. I have a 2006 dodge mega cab 1500, 5.9 hemi. I have a 26 foot starcraft ar-one wide body weighing about 5000 lbs. My tires say max tire pressure is 44 psi. My door panel says max load pressure is 70 psi. Normally I know to never exceed max tire pressure on a tire. Is there something different about towing that allows you to go above a tires max psi? When I put 44psi in all my tires they still look a little low. And when I put the trailer on the hitch it looks really low. Is it bad to put over the max tires psi when towing? Any anwers are appreciated. Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
johntank wrote:
Going by what Tire Rack list for OE tires for your 2006 1500 Mega Cab 2 or 4 wheel drive is a 265/70-17 load range E tire, I would say someone cheep out on new tires before you got the truck. JMO

X2

Look at your VIN sticker, it will list the stock tire size that is the MINIMUM to get the rated GVWR, anything smaller would de-rate the GVWR.

Note that the front GAWR (5200 lbs.) added to the rear GAWR (6084 lbs.) does NOT add up (11,284 lbs.) to the rated truck GVWR (8800 lbs)!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
johntank wrote:
Going by what Tire Rack list for OE tires for your 2006 1500 Mega Cab 2 or 4 wheel drive is a 265/70-17 load range E tire, I would say someone cheep out on new tires before you got the truck. JMO

X2

Look at your VIN sticker, it will list the stock tire size that is the MINIMUM to get the rated GVWR, anything smaller would de-rate the GVWR.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
OP, please advise what type, size, and load range tire is specified on the door jamb tire/load placard.
Personally, I would put the next size larger LT tire on, in at least Load Range D or E.
That's what I have on my Dodge 1500, and they work great.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

johntank
Explorer
Explorer

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
There are a min of three different sub-classes in the half ton class

Most 'half ton' comes with 'P' class tires. The +6K GVWR and +7K GVWR

The fake half ton comes with 'LT' class tires. The +8K GVWR and some 'off road'
packages. 'P' class tires normally do NOT last long in serious off roading
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
syndrome85 wrote:
Thank you all so much!!! I had no idea. I've had the truck for 2 years and just bought the trailer a couple of months ago. I will replace my tires. I have 2 kids that travel with me. Again thank you all so much.

While you're at it, recommend a steering stabilizer.

Steering Stabilizer

syndrome85
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much!!! I had no idea. I've had the truck for 2 years and just bought the trailer a couple of months ago. I will replace my tires. I have 2 kids that travel with me. Again thank you all so much.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
X1000 percent...illegal and a danger to you and everyone around you

In Europe/Japan/etc...if they caught you with those on that TV...they'd
ticket and boot you spot on

Then find the dealer who installed them and fine them. To even revoke
their business license. If injury from that vehicle (even if not 'cuz
of the tires)....jail time for the owner of that shop which installed'm

The door label from the OEM for that vehicle has the

M I N I M U M

tire class and size

Since it says 70PSI, it must be in the 'LT' class tire. With the tires
sidewall listing of 44PSI...it is a lower class tire...AKA 'P' class
Which needs to be DE-RATED a min of 9% of it's sidewall ratings
when used on a pickup

Forget about freebie advice on these types of forums. Go by the facts
and that is your vehicle's door label. That tires class and size is
the MINIMUM tire

Plus...all things designed/engineered are NOT for the good days out
there when a riding lawn mower 'can do it', but for the worst day
out there when Mr Murphy crosses your path.

Either you have the proper sized everything, or not. No time to go back
to the store for bigger/better...nor re-setup/adjust

(edit)...PS...the PO might have also changed out the wheels and to
be safe, check their ratings. There are like ratings for wheels and
the kind of person who did that...might have gone to 'P' class wheels too

CapriRacer wrote:
syndrome85 wrote:
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a tire pressure question. I have a 2006 dodge mega cab 1500, 5.9 hemi. I have a 26 foot starcraft ar-one wide body weighing about 5000 lbs. My tires say max tire pressure is 44 psi. My door panel says max load pressure is 70 psi. Normally I know to never exceed max tire pressure on a tire. Is there something different about towing that allows you to go above a tires max psi? When I put 44psi in all my tires they still look a little low. And when I put the trailer on the hitch it looks really low. Is it bad to put over the max tires psi when towing? Any anwers are appreciated. Thanks.

WARNING!!!

You need to replace those tires IMMEDIATELY. You've got the wrong kind of tires and they are going to fail due to overloading.

DON"T WAIT!! DO IT NOW!!

Go to a tire dealer and have them look at the situation.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah the 1500 Mega Cab comes with a 8510 GVWR and 6000 RAWR 8 lug wheels and Load range E tires.

Now if the OP< meant he has a 1500 quad cab then it comes OEM with P tires.

And I guess its possible Dodge/someone installed the wrong tire or tire placard.

Anyhow he's towing a very light weight trailer so I would use the 44 psi max sidewall tire pressure in the truck.
It was common some years ago, when 3/4 ton trucks road like a log wagon, for 3/4 ton truck owners to go with a P tire with their light weight loads.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
W.E.BGood wrote:
"WARNING!!!

You need to replace those tires IMMEDIATELY. You've got the wrong kind of tires and they are going to fail due to overloading.

DON"T WAIT!! DO IT NOW!!"

A bit of Chicken-Little here IMO. I just finished a 4700 mile 3-week cruise from eastern Iowa to northern California with both interstates and VERY twisty mountain roads and 8% grades. My '08 Tundra with "dangerous" P-rated tires @ 40 lbs. handled it all confidently and comfortably towing my 7,000 loaded Outback 25 footer.

syndrome85...as others have noted, the original tire size/design/rating is different than what you have on it now. Use the existing pressure on the tire.

You are comparing a Toyota Tundra which is a light-duty "1/2 ton" pickup truck that weighs around 5500lbs off the lot to a Dodge MegaCab 1500 which is actually a 3/4 ton truck and weighs almost 8000lbs off the lot.

Apples and oranges.

The Dodge comes with LT Load Range E tires from the factory. Your Tunrdra came with P-rated.

Someone cheaped out on the tires on the Dodge.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
cjoseph wrote:
Look up that tire and find out what the maximum WEIGHT rating is for it.

Weigh your rear axle with the trailer hooked up and loaded up. Divide that by two. That's how much weight you are carrying on each tire.

There may be a 2-digit alphabetic code at the end of the tire's sidewall description.

Example: P275/75R-15 SL

SL = Standard Load
XL = Extra Load
LL = Light Load

No letters means standard load.

With a max air pressure of 44, I'm guessing Extra Load. I would still weigh it.

Don't exceed that tire weight rating and as already said, don't exceed the max tire pressure.

If your tires are squatting at the max pressure, you are probably over weight on them. Just guessing.
My standard loads were 44psi. My XLs are 50psi.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
It appears the tires you describe are underrated for your truck. It is possible you are out of spec enough that you shouldn't haul or tow much of anything.

One thing is absolute under any circumstances- NEVER, NEVER, NEVER overinflate tires beyond the max psi printed on the tires.

Personally, I'd begin shopping for properly rated tires.

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
Look up that tire and find out what the maximum WEIGHT rating is for it.

Weigh your rear axle with the trailer hooked up and loaded up. Divide that by two. That's how much weight you are carrying on each tire.

There may be a 2-digit alphabetic code at the end of the tire's sidewall description.

Example: P275/75R-15 SL

SL = Standard Load
XL = Extra Load
LL = Light Load

No letters means standard load.

With a max air pressure of 44, I'm guessing Extra Load. I would still weigh it.

Don't exceed that tire weight rating and as already said, don't exceed the max tire pressure.

If your tires are squatting at the max pressure, you are probably over weight on them. Just guessing.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
W.E.BGood wrote:
"WARNING!!!

DON"T WAIT!! DO IT NOW!!"

A bit of Chicken-Little here IMO. I just finished a 4700 mile 3-week cruise from eastern Iowa to northern California with both interstates and VERY twisty mountain roads and 8% grades. My '08 Tundra with "dangerous" P-rated tires @ 40 lbs. handled it all confidently and comfortably towing my 7,000 loaded Outback 25 footer.

syndrome85...as others have noted, the original tire size/design/rating is different than what you have on it now. Use the existing pressure on the tire.

Your Tundra might have shipped with P rated tires?

The 1500 Megacab is a 3/4 ton truck. It has 3/4 ton axles, suspension, brakes and frame. Granted, the rear axle is the slightly lighter duty 3/4 ton version. No way this truck should be running light duty tires or wheels. If money is an issue look for factory take offs.