cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pull in slides in wind?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Bullhead City in a wind storm. At what wind speed would you pull in your slides? Sustained or gusts? Thanks!
49 REPLIES 49

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
We once rode out a tornado in a hybrid, scary as he**! Obviously if we had warning it is not something we would have ever done. It was the scariest 4 minutes of my life. Many downed trees, a few trailers with roof damage, many damaged awnings.

It is not unusual to have 25-35 mph gusts where we live. Our Spree 261 RKS has a super slide and with those winds I've never even thought about bringing ion the slide.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
homefor2 wrote:
I'm on the beach at Lake Havasu and it's been howling since the wee hours of the morning. I'm glad I don't have slide toppers due to noise. I have no movement of the slides at all and didn't consider bringing them in. Our unit is very heavy. Maybe that's why it doesn't move.

:h

If you don't have slide toppers how do you know they are noisy?

Just saying......

Oh btw... and ours are not a noise issue.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on the beach at Lake Havasu and it's been howling since the wee hours of the morning. I'm glad I don't have slide toppers due to noise. I have no movement of the slides at all and didn't consider bringing them in. Our unit is very heavy. Maybe that's why it doesn't move.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My slide stays out in all stationary conditions. I have no toppers or supports and have survived maybe 50 mph winds just fine.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
IF we did put them in how you going to function?
Depends on the floor plan. Some RVs are completely functional with the slides in. Granted, not very roomy, but still functional, and it's only a temporary situation.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
StarkNaked wrote:
The one time that I had to bring the slide in because of the wind was because of the beating and flapping that the slide topper was taking. I didn't want it ripped off of the slide.

Mine " sounded " like they would tear off, but never did and that was with sustained winds of 60-65 mph, gust up to 90...Guess it depends on material of slide topper and how well they were installed maybe?
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one time that I had to bring the slide in because of the wind was because of the beating and flapping that the slide topper was taking. I didn't want it ripped off of the slide.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjxj wrote:
golf_bears wrote:
We were in Wall, SD in Oct. of 2013. Wind storm came in and the kitchen slide, which was facing the wind, was moving in and out by about 4". Closed the slide in a hurry. Not sure what the wind velocity was but at that point it didn't make any difference, we right in the middle of it. Storm lasted about 1/2 hour. To say the least, we were worried.

FOUR INCHES??? How can it have that much slop in it and still function? Mine is old school rack and pinion tracks so maybe it's different? This thing is pushed out solid against the side wall. You would have to roll this rig down a mountain to break the slide off. Is yours cables or what?

We were in 80 mph gusts and the top of our curb side slide would move in at least 1.5". It was a hell of a ride!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Slides in? Not necessary...and we have toppers. Me thinks you have more stability with the slides out plus IF we did put them in how you going to function? So...a no brainer for us.

We have the wind here in Casa Grande like everywhere in the SW right now and the only things making noise are the 2 flags on the pole.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
To save your slide covers yes

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Indio, CA and the wind is blowing so much dust that it is hard to see the other trailers. Our slides are out, panels are up and the windsock is still hanging on. I did have to go pick up our chairs about 50 feet away this morning.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just pulled in my kitchen slide. Wind was lifting it. I'm rocking so much I'm getting seasick.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
I pull my slides in to protect my slide toppers, I don't want them torn off.

In the 2 major wind storms we were in, all my slides had toppers, they made a lot of noise, but nothing happened to them. No damage of any kind.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I pull my slides in to protect my slide toppers, I don't want them torn off.

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
Never ever use slide supports, especially in high winds.

You should leave your slides out. The center of gravity will remain about the same, but the area around it will be greater. Thus more stability