cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rats

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need some advice, but I'm also writing this to vent a little. I dropped my RV off at the local repair shop because of a broken hydraulic line. When I went back to pick it up, rats had gotten into the wiring and destroyed it. The 12 volt wires going from the plug to the brakes and battery were completely chewed off. I assumed the RV repair facility would take responsibility for it, since it happened while the RV was in their custody. No such luck. They want me to pay $500 for the repairs.

I have two ultrasonic pest repellants in the FW - one at each end. I used steel wool and expanding foam to block all the openings where rats can get into the RV. How can you prevent the rats from chewing the wires? This is the second time that I've had to deal with this and it's cost me $2000.
28 REPLIES 28

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
This is the same topic as another thread by the OP. Please see HERE
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Peppermint oil? Since they are doing the work anyhow have them run it in conduit and never worry about it again.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks guys. I'm just frustrated. The wiring was fine and everything was working when I dropped it off and now I have to pay $380. I can see their point, too. They can't necessarily prevent rodents from chewing on the RVs they have in their yard.

I ordered some peppermint oil and it should be delivered today.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
mgirardo wrote:
Unless you can prove the repair shop knew they had a rat problem, you probably don't have a case for more than $100. Wiring isn't that expensive and the fix isn't complicated. I would tell them to keep their $100 and make the necessary repairs. They will have a happy customer and they will not have to lose $100.

-Michael

It's a little more complicated in this case because they had to drop some sheet metal and pull the insulation and plastic cover off the bottom of the rig. They've replaced it twice this year for unrelated problems. $400 in labor.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you've had this rodent problem previously, how can you blame the shop for having it again, especially since the shop had it outside at times. That's nature. That's not the shop's fault. You were lucky to get the $100.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:
The RV Repair Facility just e-mailed me and they knocked $100 of the repair bill. I'm a little upset. I figured that since it happened at their facility that they should be responsible for it.

Unless you can prove they were negligent, you are out of luck. You cannot hold someone responsible for what is considered an 'act of God'.

Be happy with the $100, they don't have to give you that.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you can prove the repair shop knew they had a rat problem, you probably don't have a case for more than $100. Wiring isn't that expensive and the fix isn't complicated. I would tell them to keep their $100 and make the necessary repairs. They will have a happy customer and they will not have to lose $100.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Etstorm wrote:
mabynack wrote:
I need some advice, but I'm also writing this to vent a little. I dropped my RV off at the local repair shop because of a broken hydraulic line. When I went back to pick it up, rats had gotten into the wiring and destroyed it. The 12 volt wires going from the plug to the brakes and battery were completely chewed off. I assumed the RV repair facility would take responsibility for it, since it happened while the RV was in their custody. No such luck. They want me to pay $500 for the repairs.

I have two ultrasonic pest repellants in the FW - one at each end. I used steel wool and expanding foam to block all the openings where rats can get into the RV. How can you prevent the rats from chewing the wires? This is the second time that I've had to deal with this and it's cost me $2000.

Saw a tip today
Take Irish Spring soap, cut in half and put in mesh bags under the rig.
Supposedly rodents hate the smell and stay away

Having watched a rat chew through a several inch thick concrete slab that held terrazzo tiles in a public hallway via CCTV respectfully I wouldn't count on the Irish Spring as a deterrent.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I once watched a Jude Judy episode where someone took their car in for a repair. While in the custody of the repair shop, the car was broken into and things were stolen. They had it posted they were not responsible for any damages. The owner of the car took them to court to pay for the damages and losses. Judge Judy ruled in the car owner's favor. Reason? The repair shop had responsibility for safe keeping of the car and they were negligent in their responsibility to keep the car safe while in their possession. Even though they claimed they were not responsible, they were. They ended up having to pay for the loss and damage.

I don't know the circumstances or the conditions of your repair shop, but it is something to consider. Small claims do not take lawyers and the cost involved. Just because they post a sign does not mean mean they are exempt. Something to think about there?

Oddly enough I saw that episode. They left the car on the road not in their lot. That is why they did not keep the car safe.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RV Repair Facility just e-mailed me and they knocked $100 of the repair bill. I'm a little upset. I figured that since it happened at their facility that they should be responsible for it.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Etstorm wrote:

Saw a tip today

I'll second the Irish Spring. I use it when I take a shower, and I haven't been bit by a rat yet.

Doesn't work on scorpions though, got stung by one of those little creatures.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
mabynack wrote:

Saw a tip today

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't blame the shop, Noah was the idiot that let them on the boat.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Can you put the rat traps into a long pipe where the dogs can't get to them?