Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

reese type hitch vs air hitch

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Is one better than the other?
It doesn't seem like the air hitch takes out much of the bounce. Is there anything better. I have dodge dually pulling 25 2003 komfort. Have air hitch and air bags on truck. Still getting a rough ride
14 REPLIES 14

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
billy1davis wrote:
It doesn't seem like the air hitch takes out much of the bounce. Is there anything better. I have dodge dually pulling 25 2003 komfort. Have air hitch and air bags on truck. Still getting a rough ride

I will bet money you are over inflating your rear tires. What PSI are you running? 45 PSI would be plenty with that load.

Set your bag pressure with the TT attached at 5 PSI. You really don't need the bags with that load. Allow as much weight as possible to be transferred from the TT to the TV.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

towdriver
Explorer
Explorer
billy1davis wrote:
Thank s for that info. Makes alot of sense
. We are only using the "shocker" air hitch. The advice so far is to let all the air out of the air bags and let the leaf spring s carry the load. When we carrying a 3500 lbs camper it road real well. So we are now carrying 400 lba of concrete plua the trailwr. We will see how this works

If your talking about letting all the air out of the bags on the TV I would suggest that you don't do that. I also run a 3500 DRW and pull a 25' TT and with no load in the truck I run 10psi in the bags. If load I add more air but you should never run the bags empty. With no air the bags will wreck themselves, it's recommended you keep a minimum of 5psi in them.
05 Dodge 3500 4x4 QCLFB Edge Juice w/Attitude
06 FunFinder X240

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank s for that info. Makes alot of sense
. We are only using the "shocker" air hitch. The advice so far is to let all the air out of the air bags and let the leaf spring s carry the load. When we carrying a 3500 lbs camper it road real well. So we are now carrying 400 lba of concrete plua the trailwr. We will see how this works

kwlincoln
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Seems like most people replying don't have a clue what you're asking but feel the need to spout off anyway.

I use an airsafe hitch. I have a 2012 F350 and a bumper pull toy hauler with a heavy hitch weight. It works well and does take a lot of bounce out. Works even better if you don't use distribution bars. A lot better. For me, I have to use the weight distribution bars but I don't put much tension on them to let the truck carry a little more weight. That allows the trailer weight to take some of the stiffness out of the springs and unbinds the airsafe hitch to work more freely.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Air suspension / bags and weight distribution hitches have different functions.

When you hang a bunch of tongue weight on the back end, it works like a see saw and take weight away from your front axle. Take enough weight, it affects stabilty and steering.

Air systems help to level the truck body and keep your headlights out of the trees. A secondary benefit may be improved ride comfort. It does not restore weight taken from the front axle.

Weight distribution's primary function, is to restore weight that was taken away from the front axle. Secondary benefit is help with leveling the truck and trailer combination.

The two systems can be used together, but, air ride does not take the place of weight distribution.

One of the advertised benefits, on the Andersen hitch, is a smoother ride. I have one, and have not noticed any improvement in ride quality, however, DW says she no longer needs to wear a sports bra.

Maybe, the biggest impact on OP's ride quality, is the OEM suspension. Could be, he needs new shocks.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
billy1davis wrote:
Air bags on a 3500 DRW with a 25' 2003 trailer ??

Another example of too much truck for the job. Drop the bags and lower air pressure in the DRW rear tires regardless of trailer type......if your towing a small 25' trailer.

X2 for sure!!!

Should not need either with a 2001 Ram 3500. Is your tongue weight even 1,000#?

Replace the shocks on the TV with Bilstein's your choice 5100's or 4600's. Put shocks on the trailer, reduce the Air pressure in the bags to 5 psi. Reduce the air pressure in your rear tires to less than 60 psi, because you just don't have enough weight on the back of that truck for a dually and air bags.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
it was the Jets adjusted by the RV place that I went to that I throw several bags of concrete in the back of the truck todampen the right it seems to have worked without the trailer I'm anxious to try it with the trailer

HouseApe
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP is talking about an air reciver hitch like the air safe http://airsafehitch.com
I've been looking at them also. The airstream guys seem to love this hitch so the rivets don't pop out.
2014 Ram 3500 Megacab Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins
2017 Open Range Roamer 310BHS

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had my Travel Trailer I used a Reese 1200 lb trunnion Weight Distribution hitch and two friction sway bars.

Rig was rock solid and the tow was very comfortable.

Thanks!

Jeremuah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing the WD hitches a weight distribution hitch so if that is the case which hitch do you useand are you using tt or a fifth wheel

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you are a great Candidate for the Andersen "No Sway" weight distribution hitch.

Okay...stop laughing. ๐Ÿ™‚

I know you have a Dually, but you probably do not need much Weight Distribution..sounds like you have a problem with bounce...I did too with my TT and Dually...some call it teeter-tottering or, well, bounce.

The WD hitch on my trailer was for two things for me...1) eliminating bounce, 2) sway control.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
billy1davis wrote:
Air bags on a 3500 DRW with a 25' 2003 trailer ??

Another example of too much truck for the job. Drop the bags and lower air pressure in the DRW rear tires regardless of trailer type......if your towing a small 25' trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer is regular tt not 5th
truck is 2001 3500 dodge dually

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fifth wheel or travel trailer?
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD