cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Temperature Monitors

MissouriBird
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to spend a month or so in the south during the coming winter, but are quite concerned about loss of power at our home, or furnace failure--both of which would lead to frozen pipes and lots of other issues.

What kind of remote temperature sensor/alarm do you use and what would you recommend? We want something that not only monitors temp in house and freezer, but is also capable of sending either a text message to alert us as well as our daughter.

All suggestions will be appreciated.
Nomads at heart
26 REPLIES 26

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found the one I used at Menards

Home Sitter
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
In our development, we have snowbirders that have a plumber come to the house to "winterize" it. Everything gets turned off.....then they call the guy about a week or so before the return, he comes back and turns everything back on.

No water...no heat...and I must guess, no damage.

When I used to snowbird (Jan-April in AZ) I turned off the water, but left the heat on...about 40 degrees. Nothing bad happened.

I think my sump pump in the basement would be a downfall to that system.

However good for a lot of applications depending on cost.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
In our development, we have snowbirders that have a plumber come to the house to "winterize" it. Everything gets turned off.....then they call the guy about a week or so before the return, he comes back and turns everything back on.

No water...no heat...and I must guess, no damage.

When I used to snowbird (Jan-April in AZ) I turned off the water, but left the heat on...about 40 degrees. Nothing bad happened.

Y-Guy
We have a Honeywell Thermostat that allows me to remotely control the temp and see the humidity level via my phone or computer. I like it so much I had them installed at two office locations.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Can you leave one of those large round outside thermometers in a window where a neighbor can see it?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
darsben1 wrote:
winterize the pipes

X2
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lacrosse Technologies has a line of monitors that do what you want. I use their remote temp sensors to watch the outside temp and fridge temp.

I had a simple system that made a call at a preset temp and if the water detector sensed water. Threw off a bunch or false water alarms at first. Battery backup and used the landline phone. I can't find it online, so I guess it's no longer made.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to Ideal Security and purchase a Phone Dialer (SK618) and Temperature Alarm (SK627). They are wireless and will cost about $140.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cad seems to me to have done all the appropriate steps.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last time we went to Quartzsite, we shut the water off at the source, drained all the water pipess, put RV antifreeze in all the drains because it doesn't evaporate, and then left the heat set to 45 degrees. We also had a small electric heater near to where the water came into the house, just in case the backup failed. Nothing bad happened.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
winterize the pipes
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
I have NEST thermostats in my house and apartments. I can read and set/change the temperature in several locations. It a great piece of mind... Can't help you with the freezer, but if I know the house temperature, I really wouldn't care about the freezer.