cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Retired NY fireman saves the day!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, DW misplaced her $600 reading glasses while switching over to sun glasses. Looked everywhere for five or six hours, finally gave up. We were scheduled to depart the next morning, so after hook up we looked everywhere again with no luck. The four hour ride home was not all it could have been.

We arrived home to find a message on the phone from fellow campers we had met. He was a retired NY city fireman camping with his DW. They had found the glasses, located our home address, and put the glasses in overnight mail delivery. These were wonderful people who went above and beyond to help a fellow camper. NY sure has some fine folks, especially the firemen and firewoman. Thank you.

Lakeside
20 REPLIES 20

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Great people with great news for sure. It is awful how expensive the special glasses can be. Mine with Walmart $9 frames were over $300.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - a good story degenerated into how much you should pay for reading glasses...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
PTC?
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth, I've been called many things but never Gitchigoomee. Are you any where near PTC?
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
That's just what firefighters do.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:

NY sure has some fine folks, especially the firemen and firewoman. Thank you.

Lakeside

firemen and firewoman = "Firefighters"

Congrats on a positive camping "rant"...:B

~

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I have several pair of reading glasses; all from the rack in Wal Mart. One in my truck, one in the Vette, one in the MH and DW even carries a pair for me in her purse in case something happens. Oh yeah I forgot about the pair I'm wearing while I browse rv.net.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing "Peg Leg" reply reminds me of a funny. Gordon Lightfoot had a great song a few years back about the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. In the song there is a line "...of the Big Lake they call Gitchigoomee." I heard the wife singing it one day and she said "of the Peg Leg they call gitchigoomee". I bout fell out, but I found my Dollar Store glasses and put them on (just to stay on topic).
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
mowin wrote:
Not all in NY are bad ya know... just some ... lol
X3
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Campers are GOOD people.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
robsouth wrote:
$600.00 reading glasses???? You need to check out the Dollar Stores.

My optometrist's lab will make ANY single-vision glasses for $80,traditional bifocals for $100, no-line for $150. My glasses (single-vision, scratch-resistant and OSHA-approved safety lenses) were $120. $600 is crazy!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Makes my heart warm......:)
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

dodgerdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had caterac surgery and have really great vision but the upclose sucks now... but I need glasses to read and so forth... Go to costco..... You would not believe how nice a pair I got for so little...

Mike C.

Big_Don_53
Explorer
Explorer
At the Dollar Tree I pick up 5 or 10 pairs at a time and put them upstairs and downstairs and all points in between. At a buck a pair it's a lot faster then finding the prescription ones and they work just as good ...
If you think the grass is greener on the other side, then you need to water your own grass