cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp at 30 amp pedestal ?

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a new TT that has 50 amp. We stay a lot in state parks that are only 30 amp. Would we just use an adapter. Will this cause any issues with things working and running. The TT has 1 15k ac unit but braced for a second should we want to add one. If we did would we be able to run both on a 30 amp pedestal safely. Tks
30 REPLIES 30

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what I liked about having two ACs was that after initial cool down, you could run the AC in the end where you weren't. at night run it in the living area, during the day, run the bedroom one. keep the noise down a bit.
bumpy

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

If using the 30A to 50A adapter doesn't cause problems for your DAD then he needs to check the 50A receptacle he is plugging into isn't one for 'welder'....no neutral

He's had other rigs plugged into his 50a with no problem.. He's plugged into other 50a and it sent 240v thru his system too. It's something with his rig and he's okay with just using 30a. No second A/C or W/D unit (it's wired for it however). He's not going to sell it anytime soon either, so no worries there either..

Thanks for the additional info and thoughts Biscuit!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
...I can use the dogbone to take my 50 amp to 30 amp when at a 30amp only pedestal and...All else will work fine?

I wouldn't go quite that far.

AC + the microwave + a hair drier all at once = a good likelyhood you will trip the breaker.

The true 2-leg 50 AMP hookup is a bunch more electricity than 30A single leg, and tends to offer electricity for almost anything you can run...

...30A is a little bit limiting...you don't have to WORRY, but you do have to take a little bit of care to not overload it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A few words of warning.. by the way, as I type this I"m in a 50 amp rig on a 30 amp site.

Some parks the electrical power is... Well... Not all that good (This one for example) I have many times seen voltmeters at the pedistal show low voltages (Like mid 80's) (I am not kidding) my RV can adjust for SOME of that.

But tonight I had my normal electronics on (Around 3-5 amps) a steamer (same amp range) one AC, the converter and fridge.. The water heater is OFF. and click went the breaker..... Inverter held till I got it reset.

I ran the generator before I brought up the Microwave.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
1200 is a a little high. One thing not mentioned is that it is not the difference from 30 to 50 amps but with 50 you have 2 50 amp circuits for a total of 100 amps. When I had a 30 amp Pace Arrow I was able to run both ACs at the same time. I did have an EMS that controlled things for me.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
I would go ahead and get it with the 2nd a/c. Better to have it and not need it than not to have it and wish you did.

Dealer quoted 1200 for installed 13.5k ac. I thought that was pricey since it is already pre-wired and braced for it.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
I would go ahead and get it with the 2nd a/c. Better to have it and not need it than not to have it and wish you did.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
MitchF150 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
If you are plugged into a 30a you won't be able to use both AC's at the same time. For the 50a setup, each AC unit is wired to a separate leg of the 50a plug. For the 30a, you only have one hot leg, thus one AC with power to it...

Mitch

If you plug the 30A in and then test each hot on the 50A end, both will have voltage.

30A to 50A adapter feeds both hots on the 50A.

Trying to run both A/C's at same time is a problem due to only having 30 amps total available

My mistake... My dad has 50a on his rig and when he plugs into 50a, he blows the system, with 240v going thru it... It's mucked up on the 50a side for sure, but when he uses the adapter to plug into 30a, it's fine.

I first thought that was because the other leg was not hot... Thinking about it more now, the 30a is only 120v no matter what, so both legs can be hot with 120v as stated...

Dad just does not use 50a anymore... He's had it checked out, but no one has been able to resolve it and he does not need 50a anyway...

Thanks for the clarification.

Mitch

If using the 30A to 50A adapter doesn't cause problems for your DAD then he needs to check the 50A receptacle he is plugging into isn't one for 'welder'....no neutral
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

John_M1
Explorer
Explorer
When we had a unit that was 50 amps, we put the doggone adapter on the motorhome end of the cable so it stayed inside the service compartment. We then used a 30 amp cable to connect to the power post. We found that for a lot of quick overnight stops we didn't need 50 amps and the 30 amp cable is a lot lighter and easier to manage.
John and Susan
2018 Winnebago Vista 26HE
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
Ahhh. Another bunkhouse.

With 2 kiddies need the bunkhouse. We really like this layout with the open kitchen and stand up shower vs. tub. Like the privacy of the bedroom with access to bathroom from it. Feels like a 5th wheel layout.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhh. Another bunkhouse.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
CecilT, what TT you looking at?

Keystone Outback 323BH

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
CecilT, what TT you looking at?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Motorcycle Jack is correct.

That, or the other way is to get a dogbone adapter with the locking ring that goes into the trailer 50amp shorepower plug & takes a 50 amp or 30 amp extension cable.

There are many ways to skin this cat.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995