cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rodents (mice) keep infesting trailer and pickup truck ???

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
What can I do to keep the vermin from invading our trailer, battery compartment and under the pickup truck hood, etc... They keep getting in and setting up nests and chewing things, etc....

Tried some Irish Spring soap but not really solving our problems.

We keep the trailer and pickup truck stored on our country lot for months at a time so the critters seem to like the fact that they are undisturbed.

Any magic solutions to keep them away? Devices, Lights, etc???

Thanks,,
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
30 REPLIES 30

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cats, Traps, those are the best. Don't use poison. You might poison someones pet.

Besides, you don't want a dead mouse in the walls of you camper/ truck stinking up the thing. It's a horrible smell and hard to get rid of.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Farmers use something called Fresh Cab, rodent repellent. Can buy at Tractor Supply or other farm service store. I've been using it, so far so good.
Had a Suburban a while back that squirrels kept getting into the engine compartment and chewing wires. I mixed a spray bottle with 50% Hot Sauce, 50% water and a good squirt of dish-washing soap. Soap is sticky and stays on their feet, when they go to lick/clean it off they get the hot sauce. They don't come back. CAUTION - the solution is very caustic on exposed metal parts. Made everything look like it was corroded, but no squirrels!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leave the hood of your truck open. Use evergreen boughs as deterrent. I had a pack rat once under the hood of my truck. I set large traps by the tie rods since that is their typical point of entry. I trapped one and an owl got another one. End of problem.

If that doesn't work get a cat and leave him in your trailer for a day or two.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
In New York they have rodent problem too,,big rodents

https://youtu.be/jL0x5oBFC1w

That was a great video!

As to poison, I had an exterminator years ago tell me to avoid Dcon and TomCat poisons, as they are very weak. He suggested Ramik brand. I also found "One Bite" brand to be very effective.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
at our property, we have to leave tractor hood open to keep rats out. Also after two re-wires of four wheeler, it no longer stays in barn... it goes back and forth to town.

I used Fresh Cab in propane tank area of TT, because squirrels were chewing my hoses.. had to replace because the chewed them until the leaked. as a disclaimer, I have heard it is now a new formula, so may not work the same.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:

I've experienced this, first hand. Unfortunately, NYC has two things that make a haven for rats: 1) A giant, heated, rat hotel that is mainly not disturbed--the subway system 2) The typical refuse pickup system where trash bags are thrown on the curb forming a rat smorgasbord.

When visiting my Daughter in Brooklyn, I went out on the steps to have a cigarette on trash pickup night. I was surprised by a rat the size of a small terrier. Observation showed that they were coming up from the subway ventilation shafts and it was only a short sprint to a pile of trash waiting to be picked up.

For RV's and rodent deterrents, it seems the best is absolutely sealing any possible entrance with a material that can't be chewed. Traps and cats are not 100% but can aid in diminishing the population. I would guess snakes could also be used but are less efficient than a cat. My cat leaves rodent trophies in the same spot, mostly uneaten. She does occasionally have mouse tartare but I feed her too well.

Good luck to those in a battle with rodents.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
tenbear wrote:
Grit dog,I had a problem with mice getting in around the power cord. I made a metal plate with a small hole to fit the power cord and I duck tape it to the door with the hose hole in it. No more mice.

Good idea, thanks!
I will do the same this winter. I think I finally put 2 n 2 together this year, as I though the camper was sealed.
Or actually make something for camping too. We've picked up a hitch hiker a couple times now while camper was parked off the truck and hooked up to power.

I am happy my camper came with a twist lock detachable power cord. No holes.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
tenbear wrote:
Grit dog,I had a problem with mice getting in around the power cord. I made a metal plate with a small hole to fit the power cord and I duck tape it to the door with the hose hole in it. No more mice.

Good idea, thanks!
I will do the same this winter. I think I finally put 2 n 2 together this year, as I though the camper was sealed.
Or actually make something for camping too. We've picked up a hitch hiker a couple times now while camper was parked off the truck and hooked up to power.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
You could Try spraying undercoating oil such as Rust check in the engine compartment,it stays wet for long time,so I doubt mice would like to settle in that..

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes the old ways work the best.

My grandfather used to put dishes of what he called โ€œCritter Gitโ€™rโ€ around the place. It was equal parts of Plaster of Paris, Cornmeal and Sugar. It was irresistible ........ and fatal.

When they eat they go looking for the one thing they can find inside, water. They donโ€™t die inside and stink the place up.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have heard of many thigns. Moth balls. Dryer sheets.

I installed a Kitty Cat.. Seems to be doing a fairly good job.... BUT. not 100%

Oh about six years or so ago after getting some minor work done Elsewhere on the RV I headed south Blasted thing was "missfiring" Now I clearly heard the misses (Wife did not) finally found a shop willing to work on it.

Rodent damage to the ignition primary

Two new spark plugs some solder and electrical tape about 90 minutes labor and 100% again
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had co- hosts at a park that had transmission wires chewed on. The lawn and garden center had some type of rodent repellent that was a spray. The mechanic did the repairs and then sprayed the underside with the repellent and repeats this for them when they get their oil changes. No more chewing. You could use the repellent in and around other areas too. Reason they were getting mice ---- they were feeding the birds and seeds dropping from the multiple feeders was attracting racoons, squirrel, mice, chipmunks you name it.