cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route 66

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip down that will take along the old route 66. I plan on starting at Las Vegas and head east from there. But what is just along the way to see. I know there is two big holes in the ground (The Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater). What sight that one can spend a day or two to see. Something not to far off the path. The end of my trip will take me to the south central part of Kentucky the town of Russelville. My Fathers place of birth. I have family back there I have never met. Any help to make it a good trip.
31 REPLIES 31

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
thgoodman wrote:
Just a few more comments from us:

We found some of the fore mentioned RT66 books very nice and some kinda' lacking. Look at a few before you buy.

We found Meteor Creator quite UNDERwhelming and very overpriced. YMMV

Take a look at Walnut Canyon National Monument. You can walk down into the canyon and walk through the cliff dwellings. Just East of Flagstaff and South of I-40

+1 on Walnut Canyon, we really liked that. The Grand Canyon Caverns was good as well, right on rt. 66.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to "Take it Easy" as you stand on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live along Route 66, use parts for routine travels, have toured the route from Chicago to Flagstaff. When touring, I use "EZ66 Guide for Travelers" by Jerry McClanahan, published by the National Historic Route 66 Federation. When touring 66, I might take as much as three days to go 200 miles. Or you can run the whole route in three days, if you stay on the Interstate highways that replaced it.

There are still almost 200 miles of old 66 to follow in Oklahoma. Most roughly parallel the turnpikes, and later the Interstate highways, that replaced it. Although most of it is there, not many people follow 66 through Oklahoma, because it often doubles the travel time, more than triples the time if you follow the urban surface streets in Tulsa and Oklahoma City metro areas. Think miles and miles suburbs with traffic signals at 1/4 and 1/2 mile intervals, and we are into protected left turns, so if you catch a red expect to sit three to five minutes before you see green again.

What to see? That depends on your interests. I trained first as a historian, then later as a geologist, so I look for historical museums, and stop to study the rocks and the big holes in the rocks. But along Route 66, there are a lot of other attractions like 50's hotels, nostalgia diners and restaurants, a Cadillac Ranch, a big plastic whale, etc. I go to one of the restaurants (Talley's in Tulsa) simply because I like the food, but I've passed the whale at Catoosa at least 50 times and still feel no need to stop for a visit.

But many other Route 66 travelers are looking for the kitsch: the whale, the Cadillac Ranch, the 60 ounce beefsteak et al. Whatever rings your bell, which is why it helps to have a good guide.

Going to Kentucky, you will not get very far on Route 66. Last place to turn right and go to Kentucky is in Oklahoma, where you will follow US-60 across southern Missouri, through Cairo and into northwestern Kentucky. I've done that too, several times. It is a trip in itself, in many ways more interesting than Route 66. One of my US-60 trips took me all the way to Richmond, Virginia.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Stop in Vinita OK at Clanton's Diner for a hearty meal of calf fries. 😉
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
We were stuck in Carthage, MO for 2 weeks waiting out bad weather north of there. Needless to say we got a little bored, so we went to the last Route 66 drive in theater still running. It turned out to be one of the high points of the trip back north.

Think Norman Rockwell photo, and that is the moment you will be living when you go to that drive in theater. A very rare thing indeed.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
OATMAN IS A must see if your rig is small enough to get there.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Rt 66 near Needles
a lot of really long trains
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
All of the previously mentioned.
We did Chicago to LA 2 years ago. No regrets. Some areas were a bit lacking but we always found something. A good guide book is a must.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

uglybear11
Explorer
Explorer
do not buy books look on the net for rt 66 sites there are several that give you a listing of everything to see on the original route as well as on the modern route. We live in Tulsa, Ok. It took us 3 days to get to Amarillo, Tx, We stopped and saw every small town's old buildings, museums, where the movie the grapes of wrath was shot, old bridges, famous eatereis, etc. We saw things as a tunnel under a small town's street that was made to beat the traffic on route 66. There are always many things to see and do on any trip.

blue whale and the forgotten Noah's ark
shoe tree
Ike's chili house in tulsa - where it was said that ike would sell cheap chili and a family of 4 might share it as it came with free crackers.
the big texan steak house - actually good steaks
old signage

i would just say to slow down and look for all of the unusual along the way

i will get off my soap box --- there is a world out there....

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad

Oatman AZ on Route 66
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sending more things than one could not do in a summer, but you can pick & choose what would be neat for you guys.

I-40 Through New Mexico and Arizona - Things To See:
Near Santa Rosa just Off I-40, Santa Rosa Lake State Park would be a nice place to overnight. Never been there myself.

NM State Parks are a good bargain. $10 without electric, $4 more for electric. Most have nice showers (no extra cost) & no entry fee or day fee on top of camping fee as in TX & CO.

Easy to get to Santa Fe by taking US 298 at Cline's Corner ( Exit 218) to I-25 then South on 25 to Santa Fe & on to ABQ & I-40. If Eastbound on I-40 or to return to the 40 from the 25. Westbound, take the 25 at ABQ to Santa Fe.

At I-25 end of the short cut is the Glorieta Pass & Pecos Area: Civil War Battlefield and Pecos Nat'l Historic Park, the remains of an Indian pueblo.

Santa Fe & Bandelier Nat'l Mon't area of New Mexico -A Trip Report 2012.

Los Alamos is a very neat small city in itself. Free bus system with very neat buses. Very pretty setting up in the high country. Somewhat of a gated community as well. We only drove through & stopped at a SuperMarket. A nice town. http://www.visit.losalamos.com/
http://www.losalamosnm.us/transit/Pages/default.aspx

More on the Santa Fe Area Expanded & ABQ.

Just minutes north of Albuquerque (off of I-25, exit 242) in Bernalillo, is Coronado State Monument where Francisco Vásquez de Coronado—with 300 soldiers and 800 Indian allies from New Spain—entered the valley while looking for the fabled Seven Cities of Gold. Next to it: There is a Bernalillo city campground (used to be a state park) at the entrance to the State Monument. Wasn't a bad site some years ago, haven't been there in some time. Coronado Campground

The ABQ Aquarium is really neat, small but excellent. ABQ Zoo, not so much at least last time there (2011).

Cliffs Amusement Park, never been to it, but might be neat for the kidos. Likewise, Several Albuquerque Water Parks.

Likewise, the Rail Runner Train would might be something interesting to do in ABQ & Santa Fe Area.

Over by Grants (I-40 W from ABQ): El Morro National Monument is neat to see & has a small campground; there is a private campgound near by as well. Near Grants or can be reached from Gallup. We went from Gallup to Zuni Pueblo then to El Morro (we lingered too long at the Pueblo and didn't get to hike the trial at El Morro, got there too late in the day; its a neat trail too, we had hiked it before). Of course one could go to it from Grants as well.

An old post Flagstaff - Gallup - Grants- Albuquerque - Santa Fe - Plus

Grand Canyon Plus

Grand Canyon Railway

Grand Canyon North Rim & Utah

Petrified Forest can be seen in a few hours driving through it. I have two places I would recommend near the Petrified Forest if needing to spend a night:
Homolovi Ruins and Lyman Lake State Parks of AZ. Homolovi Ruins State PARK, Winslow, Arizona -not too far from the Nat'l Park. On I-40 Take exit 257 for AZ-87 toward Second Mesa 0.4 mi; Turn left at AZ-87/I-40 Bus/E Second St (signs for AZ-87/Second Mesa) Continue to follow AZ-87 1.5 mi; Turn left at Honani Rd. Never been to this one. The other one we have stayed at (after a visit to PFNP) is Lyman Lake State PARK. It is not too far from PF Nat'l Park, but off the interstate some miles.

Just in case:
This was a neat place to camp and visit (have not been to in it many years), even with a museum nearby, all close to Gallup at Red Rock/Churchrock just off of I-40 east of town. It was a state park when we used it.
http://www.campingroadtrip.com/campgrounds/campground/campground/11212/new-mexico/red-rock-state-par...

Blue Water Lake State Park, by Grants, west of Albu'que on I-40. Bluewater not a bad area, but more of a fishing site. But not at all bad for an overnight, even some hiking trails. http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/SPD/bluewaterlakestatepark.html

El Morro National Monument is neat to see & has a small campground; there is a private campgound near by as well. Near Grants or can be reached from Gallup. We went from Gallup to Zuni Pueblo then to El Morro (we lingered too long at the Pueblo and didn't get to hike the trial at El Morro, got there too late in the day; its a neat trail too, we had hiked it before). Of course one could go to it from Grants as well.
http://www.nps.gov/elmo/index.htm

More on Santa Fe (Eating):
We had very good Asian from Jinja Bar & Bistro in Santa Fe summer of 2012 & again this summer. Just stumbled onto it in a thunder/rain storm. We did carry out, but it was a very nice restaurant. We ate inside this year.

Someone at the AAA office recommended Tortilla Flats in Santa Fe; it prove to be very good as well.

Normally, we would eat on the Plaza, from Cart Vendors, such as Roque's Carnitas. Cart Cuisine, but they were not there that week-end. Due to the 'Santa Fe Indian Market', "a 91-year-old Native art market", we didn't find the normal street food venders on the Plaza. We did eat once at one of the 'Indian' vendors, but the lines were extremely long. Also at a roasted corn vendor.

A lot of Historic Route 66 Attractions along the way in sections of the old route.

Along I-40 there will be sections of the Old Route 66 by some of the small towns as well as large:
Tucumcari has somethings from Route 66 days. Tucumcari, New Mexico Route 66
Check on the bottom of the site, it has a link for each of the states Route 66 went through, such as Oklahoma.

ABQ has a section through it. Route 66 Info

Historic 66

More Route 66
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

thgoodman
Explorer
Explorer
Just a few more comments from us:

We found some of the fore mentioned RT66 books very nice and some kinda' lacking. Look at a few before you buy.

We found Meteor Creator quite UNDERwhelming and very overpriced. YMMV

Take a look at Walnut Canyon National Monument. You can walk down into the canyon and walk through the cliff dwellings. Just East of Flagstaff and South of I-40
Tom & Jan
Full timers since April '06 - 1 fur kid (Archie - mini Poodle.)
2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder towing 2012 Subaru (4 down)
Started workamping Sept '07 - "This isn't too bad. Think we'll do it some more."

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We are thinking about a similar trip.
I found this book. I have not ordered it as of yet.
Route 66

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are only a few sections of the US66 still remaining. CA-AZ-NM have the most sections still there. Of Course ROUTE 66 only goes between Chicago and Los Angeles. For the most part Route 66 follows the now I40 route once it starts going East and West..

The only part I have really observed good is in the FLAGSTAFF/WILLIAMS AZ areas... Everyone needs to have their picture taken standing next to one the ROUTE 66 historical road signs.

The Meteor Crater is the breath-taking view and has an outstanding Information center but once you see the big hole in the ground not much else for us to do there hehe... Petrified Forest is another wonder to see. I also fell in love with the Wupatki Ancient Indian Ruins & Cliff Dwellings North of Flagstaff. especially just before dark when you can look to the EAST when up on one of the high ruins and see the PAINTED DESERT starting to change all of its colors.

If you got time to kill the Grand Canyon would be be the place to see... Also in and around Flagstaff including SEDONA and other high country places blew us away for years of going there - Always see something new when we visit. The RED ROCK canyons blows us away hehe...

Not sure when you are going on the trip by HIGHWAY 89A is undergoing alot of work and may be closed in sections around SEDONA. Scheduled work to road and the AZ FIRE has done a big number on the road.

If you end up camping in FLAGSTAFF over night be aware that the railroad that goes through there is active with trains about every 5-miunutes all night long... Might want to get off the main drag there when spending a night or two.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I found downtown Flagstaff interesting, tho' I just walked around for an hour in the early AM before the shops were open. I was waiting for Lowell observatory to open (also in Flagstaff; worth the effort).

There's a big museum in Canyon, about 15 minutes south of I-40 in Amarillo. http://panhandleplains.org/pages/about_pphm_29.asp. I spent a full 1/2 day, mostly just walking by the exhibits & snapping pix. There's a full-sized 1920's oil drilling rig off the lobby, to give you an idea of the scale of the place.

There's also the Painted Desert / Petrified Forest between Flagstaff & the NM border. I spent a day there, taking a few walking tours.

Jim, "Everybody seems normal, until you get to know them."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')