Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rt.101

Camper93
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
What condition is rt.101 north of Astoria Oregon, the reason I ask is because I'm going to Astoria from Vancouver B.C. and wold like to take highway 101 pulling a travel trailer.
Thank ou
13 REPLIES 13

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Uh Frank, the town of Forks just went on water rationing. Not enuff rain this year.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Don't bother going south of Burlington on I-5. Take SR-20 west towards Anacortes and then south over the Deception Pass bridge onto Whidbey Island, then to the Port Townsend ferry. Interestingly, the ferry ride is considered part of SR-20. Continue south from PT to the junction with US-101. Head west to get to the WA coast or east to go down the west side of Hood Canal.

US-101 down the Pacific coast is a fairly decent road, two-lanes most of the way. Apart from Ocean Shores, most of the towns are small and facilities are a bit limited. It does have good access to the Olympic NP and the wettest place in the US!

Hope you have an enjoyable trip. If our current weather holds, it will be quite spectacular.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Dave-Sparky
Explorer
Explorer
If you do want too take the Port Townsend ferry with your rig, get on the Washington State Ferry website and make a reservation for the sailing you want. Ferry ReservationsWithout one you may have to wait several sailings to get on.

If you make a reservation, and don't cancel or revise it if needed there is a "no show fee" of $30 charged, but otherwise the fare is based on your overall length.

I have compared the cost of this ferry vs driving around and it is a winner, even without considering Seattle traffic!!

Bigdog wrote:
If you are coming south and want to miss traffic on I-5 and have the great trip also, come down I-5 and cut across to Whidby Island and take the Port Townsend ferry. There are some really nice places to see on the island and then you pick up 101 south of Port Townsend. The ferry is gonna run you about $70 if you are in the 40'-50' range. It actually can be a wash between going south on the 5 with mileage,time and Seattle drivers as against taking the ferry and having a nice relaxing ride. Besides, Coupeville and Port Townsend are two not to miss places.
Dave and Colleen
Colleen's Beach House
1991 Dutchman TT 24FK
2007 Chev Avalanche AWD

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
If you are coming south and want to miss traffic on I-5 and have the great trip also, come down I-5 and cut across to Whidby Island and take the Port Townsend ferry. There are some really nice places to see on the island and then you pick up 101 south of Port Townsend. The ferry is gonna run you about $70 if you are in the 40'-50' range. It actually can be a wash between going south on the 5 with mileage,time and Seattle drivers as against taking the ferry and having a nice relaxing ride. Besides, Coupeville and Port Townsend are two not to miss places.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"Camper93".....There is a must do in Astoria. In the middle of town, there is an open lot that has an old "Bow Picker" boat sitting in the center of it. Two women, inside the boat cook up fresh fish and chips, made with tuna. It's some of the best fish you'll ever eat.

x2 on that

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Camper93
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone
We have been to Astoria a couple of years ago but took rt.30, thought we would try a different route this time.
DSDP Don, we had the fish and chips the last time we were there and can't wait to have them again.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Camper93".....There is a must do in Astoria. In the middle of town, there is an open lot that has an old "Bow Picker" boat sitting in the center of it. Two women, inside the boat cook up fresh fish and chips, made with tuna. It's some of the best fish you'll ever eat.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Or...Gary throwing his two bits worth in..if you are not going via the Olympics...down I-5 to Olympia and hang a right. Catch the 101 just around Montisano. That'll get you to the State park at the Columbia River bar in one day.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent route! There is no part of it that ought to be avoided our experience towing a TT. Don't expect to see much ocean anywhere. Yes, where do you plan to get onto 101?

If heading south from Vancouver, taking the ferry from Whidbey Island (turn right off I-5 at Burlington) over to Port Townsend is VERY nice and highly recommended. The 101 drive around the Olympic peninsula is a lovely drive but you won't see much ocean. Taking 101 down the east side of the Olympic peninsula is also very nice, a much shorter and direct route and you'll see Puget Sound in parts. To do the latter, head west just past Shelton. If you've got the time, I suggest taking a side-detour over to Ocean Shores for at least a part day while heading down to Astoria. Camping next to the ocean in Ocean Shores is a great experience.

Unless you are planning to visit Seattle, avoid it like the plague as traffic is pretty bad 24/7 and not fun when towing a TT.

The Astoria area is great - have fun!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or I5 south to Longview, west on US30 to Astoria and US101 south. This is probably the fastest way to the coast. 101 in WA state, at least the parts I have driven, (north of Aberdeen to the border) is mostly inland with very few views of the ocean. Around the Olympics has some nice scenery.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where do you plan on catching 101??
Coming down from Vancouver where do you plan to catch 101, taking a ferry to the Olympic Peninsula and follow around west then south through the Coast of Washington over then down to the Astoria-Meglar bridge?
The other method would be south on I5 to Olympia then head west on HY12 to Aberdeen and Westport then south to Raymond.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once you cross into WA it is mostly 2 lanes, one in each direction with pullouts for slow moving vehicles. It does have some elevation at times but nothing like a mountain pass. It is also somewhat winding as it generally follows the coastline. All this adds up to an amazingly beautiful drive. My advice is to take Highway 1 from Raymond to Westport which will get you closer to the ocean. North of Hoquim your only choice is 101. You shouldn't have any issues towing a trailer other than cars wanting to pass you. The only issue you may face is finding a campground as this route is very popular in the summer.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Last time we drove it from Astoria to Vancouver, no issues... Nice route.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch