cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV accident at a Roundabout.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
This accident took place in Worthington, MN not to far away from me. I heard that the man driving had a hart attack but, I don't know for sure. I hope the link works.

https://www.facebook.com/tina.williams.942145/videos/1564595816932732/
63 REPLIES 63

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Nv Guy wrote:
There is one in Fernley NV, and it's a total cluster in the afternoon, traffic backs up. The timid drivers hesitate, the aggressive over reach so things grind to a halt.

Not a good solution IMHO, I have had more bad experiences (read near misses) with them than good ones.

In the week we've been here Down Under millions of vehicles have no doubt transitioned these roundabouts which in this country are everywhere. In that time I've not seen a single newspaper story nor television report about any roundabout accident. Personally, as a Canadian not used to these darned things I don't like 'em either but that doesn't necessarily make them unsafe - it's all in what you're used to.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is one in Fernley NV, and it's a total cluster in the afternoon, traffic backs up. The timid drivers hesitate, the aggressive over reach so things grind to a halt.
Not a good solution IMHO, I have had more bad experiences (read near misses) with them than good ones.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
I'm not a fan of roundabouts either but in Canada we're beginning to see more and more of them. :M At the moment we're Down Under where roundabouts seem to be at every major intersection ... when I asked my BIL for an estimate of roundabouts in the city of Sydney his answer was "easily thousands". Add to that driving on the left side of the road and it's a mystery to me how "easily thousands" aren't killed each year because of these things. :h

I'm concerned with the recent proposal in Ontario to build roundabouts with a straight through lane for trucks on the same grade level. Could be problematic.

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
Also in MN about a month back. I watched a car enter a roundabout but proceed to hang a left and enter it backwards!

Can't fix stupid.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

When Bill Weld was governor, he was late getting to a wedding on Cape Cod and ordered the bridge rotary replaced with a "flyover" and that worked better. Basically, they bury the rotary part under the straight through road putting all the traffic problems out of sight on local roads.

sounds like a better idea to me
bumpy

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
mt1729 wrote:
I'll take a stop light or a 4 way stop any day over a round about.

We have a number of roundabouts (they're called rotaries here) and they work OK if you follow some basic rules. And therein lies the problem with rotaries in Massachusetts.

Places where they replaced the rotary with traffic lights made the traffic jams much worse.

When Bill Weld was governor, he was late getting to a wedding on Cape Cod and ordered the bridge rotary replaced with a "flyover" and that worked better. Basically, they bury the rotary part under the straight through road putting all the traffic problems out of sight on local roads.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a fan of roundabouts either but in Canada we're beginning to see more and more of them. :M At the moment we're Down Under where roundabouts seem to be at every major intersection ... when I asked my BIL for an estimate of roundabouts in the city of Sydney his answer was "easily thousands". Add to that driving on the left side of the road and it's a mystery to me how "easily thousands" aren't killed each year because of these things. :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take a stop light or a 4 way stop any day over a round about.
Moose

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I wish that they would have , or still would, run a public information campaign here in MN when they first started adding them. Instead they just started building them without telling any of us how they worked.

Like this:
www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/MDOT_RoundaboutHandout_360069_7.pdf

I'll bet there was material but it's hard to distribute to passing drivers.

I was more thing like a ad campaign on TV showing people how to use it. That handout that you posted says "use the guide signs to let you know which lane to be in" Then it shows a picture of the sign. I just don't get those signs. The left lane sign and the right lane sign look exactly the same except the left lane sign has a big dot in it. I don't get those signs at all.

Bigg_Al
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Hwy monies were allotted so HWY 260 between I-17 and Cottonwood is being widened .....2 lanes east & west bound. Roughly 15 mile section will go for 1 lane each direction with a couple of short passing lanes and be 2 full lanes each direction----divided hwy.
Excellent! Whoo-Hoo

Hold your horses.......7 round-a-bouts are being built also.

Had to do something with the monies being allocated.

Do you remember the intersection of Pacific Coast Highway, Lakewood Blvd. and the Los Coyotes Diagonal? It's been there my entire life and still works well. I'm sure you remember what it's called. :B
Tow Vehicle:
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 DRW Laramie Crew Cab
6.7 Cummins Diesel

Race Car:
Pro Mod 1969 Chevelle
Jerry Bickel Chassis
525ci BAE Hemi Twin Turbocharged
3 Speed Lenco Transmission
Best E.T. 5.62 seconds at 265 mph

Take me to your Golf Course!!

muskrat49
Explorer
Explorer
There is a roundabout I remember in Kiev, Ukraine that connects six four-lane roads together. The trucks and buses just crept around and the cars treated them as stationary objects. Total chaos.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
They put a roundabout on a 2 lane state highway locally a number of years ago because folks were running the stop sign on a cross street and causing accidents. One accident in particular was a school bus going 50mph with a load of kids having a senior citizen run the stop sign, get t-boned by the bus and ending up dead. The first design was too small for the local farmers to get through with their equipment and after several public hearings, the size was increased and it went in fast. Yes, it is annoying, but for the most part works fine.

Sometimes I go around a couple of times without exiting just to entertain my grand daughter..

It is close to a high school and when it first went in, a bunch of kids from high school filled it up and went in circles for awhile, once every few times around, a car would exit and another from high school would enter.. it entertained the kids, but annoyed the adults wanting to go somewhere..

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
There is a proposed roundabout on WA 20 east of Anacortes. It is where a 2 lane highway intersects with the 4 lane highway. It will be a 2 lane roundabout, that originally had options for an overpass for through traffic, but the $$ were not available. There are merely 30,000 vehicles passing through the intersection each day now, what could go wrong? I like roundabouts, but I am mildly concerned, especially with NAS Whidbey Island increasing their impact with about 10,000 new personnel in the near future? Like I said, what could go wrong?

I can remember when my sons started driving 30+ years ago and needed to pass through the flashing yellow light to enter the 4 lane highway. It was terrifying in the fog.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chris Bryant wrote:
I live near, and drive through, roundabouts, a Divergent Diamond,
and a SPUI (Single Point Urban Interchange

traffic moves far quicker and safer through all of these than standard stop lights with left turn arrows.

I have experienced both of these, and will say the first time through I thought What the heck! Then I thought about them I see how they improve flow. Would have loved to been in the room when they were frist suggested! :B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"