cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Chocks????? 1 or 2????

zell66
Explorer
Explorer
looking into purchasing locking wheel chocks for my 1996 40 jayco. noticed last year a lot of forward to back motion in RV and wondering if locking wheel chocks are the way to go? And if so 1 side or chock both?
13 REPLIES 13

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Two Rotochocks, they always go on before we unhitch.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use 2 Roto-choks, one for each side.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
definitely TWO! both sides need to be done.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Use two for best results. After reading a nice review here I bought a set BAL X chocks on Ebay for around $60.(The RV stores wanted double.) I was a bit disappointed overall but maybe I expected too much. I would say the x chocks help eliminate about 50-60 percent of the movement. I would still say they are worth it though. Maybe the combination of X chocks with king pin tripod would eliminate say 75-80 percent of movement on my 5er but it just isn't super important to me.
E.Lee Galik

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Both sides for best results
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've always used two pairs of chocks. The first is a wedge set on the downhill side, and this is the set that gets the weight put on it (I set the chocks, put the truck into neutral so they get set in place.) After the wedge chocks are in place, I pull out the BAL X-chocks.

The advantage of this is that even though the BAL X-chocks provide excellent stability, if a tire loses enough air that the chock works loose, the wedge chocks are still doing the job.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
For best results two chocks are needed to reduce movement. We also deploy scissor and stab jacks that help to minimize further movement. Obviously there is still some movement, but our 32' rig sure feels more solid and steady to us and that is all that counts. There are certainly additional methods that can be instituted to alleviate motion, but for us this works well enough without over-complicating our set-up regimen.

lat471
Explorer
Explorer
Chock both sides to be sure. I use X chocks between both wheels and it helps with the movement a lot. I also have Wingard braces for the front of the 5th wheel.
07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
AirForceAngler wrote:
I strongly recommend chocking both sides of the TT, especially if you're on an incline. I have seen a trailer start to pivot around the chocked side once it was disconnected from the TT. I have always just used plastic "wedge" type chocks on my TTs, but the ones that clamp in between the tires look nice, too. Plus you don't have to worry about the chock getting stuck under the tire on a slopped spot.

That happened to me before while unhooked. I always chock both sides.
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
I strongly recommend chocking both sides of the TT, especially if you're on an incline. I have seen a trailer start to pivot around the chocked side once it was disconnected from the TT. I have always just used plastic "wedge" type chocks on my TTs, but the ones that clamp in between the tires look nice, too. Plus you don't have to worry about the chock getting stuck under the tire on a slopped spot.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Chocks keep the wheels from turning when hitching/unhitching BUT it will not stop movement of the RV. Lots of discussion (and disagreement) on this Forum for the subject of RV movement. Try searching for `strongarm' a type of movement minimizer.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
Mine also work great. I've got two of them. Mine came as a pair. Hope whatever you find works for you.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Mine work great.
Try one,you can always buy another.
Good Luck, Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin