cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV'ing in Africa?

karead7
Explorer
Explorer
There doesn't seem to be a suitable forum for posting this, and searching the archives doesn't come up with much either.

We're planning a trip to Africa and we want to go RV'ing there.

Has anybody ever RV'ed in Africa? It turns out that it's quite a popular thing, with quite a few RV parks and campgrounds in both Namibia and South Africa.

http://www.travelwithkevinandruth.com/2013/06/rving-in-africa.html
10 REPLIES 10

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to contact folks who have RV'ed in Africa (or caravanned, to "speakers of the Queen's English"), you might want to contact the International Caravanning Association.

These are some of the more adventurous RV'ers in the world.

karead7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of your information folks! The planning continues...

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
We did S. Africa, Botswana and Zimbabe about 6 years ago.We have been on many great trips, but this was the best. We did it with Reli, a now defunct caravan group.I don't know about Zimbabe's stability right now, but they have a huge Park there (Hwange)sic where we drove into it and spent the night fenced in with our rigs. There was a hide overlooking a pond.lots of elephants etc.Also Victoria Falls is there. Botswana and S. Africa were great also.I think Adventure Caravans also runs trips there. I have traveled with them on multiple trips.They in my estimation do a good job.Traveling with experienced people is important.There are areas you don't want to go into.

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Lived in Africa (Cameroon, Liberia, Botswana, Djibouti, Central African Republic and visited a half a dozen others) for over ten years spread over thirty years. Love 4x4 travel and have done a few long trips across the continent. Shoot me an e-mail and I will try to be helpful.
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that Europeans regularly take RVs to destinations in northern Africa, particularly the more stable locations in northwest Africa, and there are rental programs and caravan tours in South Africa and on up eastern Africa toward Kenya.

However, most of the East Africa tours I've looked into use air transport from urban area to urban area, country to country. In terms of road networks, infrastructure, and red tape, it is not the same as renting a RV somewhere in western Europe and driving all over the continent.

Just Namibia and South Africa would be a good start, and is pretty common as a tour these days.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Safest to hook up with a caravan outfit where each couple has their own RV but you travel as a group and have support for breakdowns or a medical emergency and often a translator/guide.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
One of TC'ampers on this forum posted an extensive trip into North Africa sometime back. Can't remember the name right now. Based on their experience it is not something for the uninitiated unless travelling with experienced RV'ers there. It did appear to be quite the adventure. Keep us posted.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Dixiechick
Explorer
Explorer
Fantasy RV Tours offers a trip to Africa. I would not want to go alone for safety reasons.
Cathy and Don, finally retired :B
Cats-Whiskers the Princess and Shadow the Baby
2008 Allegro Class A Open Road 32'

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
You'll find hours of reading and answers to your questions on the topic at http://www.expeditionportal.com/.

IIRC, these folks have already done that, at least in N.Africa: http://www.travelin-tortuga.com/Travelin-Tortuga/Home_Page.html

Jim, "Every dawn's the start of a new error."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
We have RVed in Newzealand,Italy and Norway but not in Africa,will be interesting to see you blog after the trip.
Have a good one.
F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom Go 5606
Website