cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV security

OhHolly
Explorer
Explorer
About to be first time trailer owners. Just wondering about how folks secure their rv s when they are in storage lots?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
23 REPLIES 23

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember, you are trying to "secure" something that is only slightly stronger than a large, double strength cardboard box, no matter what type of RV it is!
There are very few things that can be done to deter a thief that is truly dedicated to separating your goods from you. While it may be possible to slow him down or annoy him, if he wants it he will get it!
While a booby-trap is always tempting, be aware of the liability laws in your locale. Such a trap could end up costing you more than it saved!
Other than that, there have been some pretty good suggestions in this thread.
Don't be too disappointed when, in the final analysis, they do little or no good. That's simply life in the modern world!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take your battery home with you.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
My previous Class C rig got broken into twice. After that I bought a 12 volt electric fence charger and a ground rod. Ran it off the coach batteries (charged by solar). The rig was metal-sided, so touching it pretty much anywhere would give you a wake-up. Never had any more issues. I think I was the only person to experience this, though... always forgot it was turned on when I grabbed the door handle.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are very fortunate. Stored inside a building on a chicken farm. Nothing gets on the property before going past the managers house & dogs first.

Further we are at the back of the building. First one in in the fall, last one out in the spring with farm owners class A in front of us along with a few boats & equipment in there. Somebody lays an eyeball on it every day.

Did the outdoor storage for a couple of years. Didn't like that at all. Once at a storage facility. Once in fenced are of a CG.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
My take on this. The first is location. If in tweaker central, no amount of security is going to help.

Second, for a trailer, I secure it three ways:

1: I use BAL X-Chocks, and padlock them. This isn't "real" security, but it is obvious from someone on the side that the trailer is not going to be moving.

2: I use a security chain and high secure Abus padlock between the wheels and into the frame. This is where my real security is.

3: If I'm parked at the storage place, the owner let me bore a 4-5 foot hole, sink a chain in cement, leaving a few feet above ground. This gets secured to the frame via another high security lock.

4: Just to let potential thieves know that the trailer is secured, I stick a tongue lock on. Most thieves can bypass it, but it does show them that they are going to have to power up their angle grinder before they can leave with their prize.

This doesn't protect against break-ins. Here in Texas, if someone doesn't make the vehicle move, burglary of a vehicle is highly likely to get someone a night in jail, not much else. The only real way to protect against break-ins is to store in a good area.

So far, I've had good luck. The only thing I've ever had stolen was a used sewer hose from my real bumper.

Carlos___Ranae
Explorer
Explorer
We have been storing our toyhauler at a TT preserve for years without any issues. We had a 30 amp cable gone missing while at a dealer for repairs; however, they replaced it with a new one. I suggest that if you are going to use storage for extended period to bring home all tools.
Carlos & Ranae
2017 Seismic 4212
2012 Dodge Ram, 3500 Laramie Longhorn
4X4, DWR, Pullrite 18KSuperslide Hitch
2006 Yamaha Midnight Silverado, 1700 CC

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
The place I store at has dogs, they release them at night to patrol, Big dogs, I was fortunate enough to relocate my space to an interior slot next to the dogs pen and dog houses!! They usually hang out an sleep next to my trailer. No issues yet other than my plastic chock block got chewed up.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
I have been broken into only once, while it was parked overnight at my house. Storage with an onsite caretaker is the only way to go.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Store in western Pennsylvania. No theft here when you store in a limestone mine! A plus is no winterizing needed! All the kids are doing it!

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Paid insurance bill, valuables removed, door and storage bays left unlocked. Have had people inside, but no damage or theft. Neighbors on both sides have had significant damage and items removed.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hope for the best and keep your insurance paid up. There are no guarantees when it comes to storage.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
1971duster340 wrote:
Ask the storage owners if you can park close to the next unit and block your door/bay doors. You'll have to pull your RV out if you need to go inside. Nothing will keep a burglar out if they're determined.

What about the owner of the other unit???
We have an extra wide site, as it is on the end of a shed for covered storage. we park a little off center, and can put the slides out while in our site! :B

Every user gets a personal access code, and as mentioned before required to enter, and exit.

I feel the unit is far safer at a good storage lot than at home. If you both work, there is about nine to ten hours a day no one is home, and likely many neighbors are not home. Our storage yard has a maned office 9 to 5 six days a week, video, and on site watch person 24/7.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
All of the above posters have it covered correctly...
Location and insurance are your best bets...

Also, there are a ton of various tongue and pin locks available...supposedly to keep someone from towing your rig away.

Start Here......Locks...LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a smaller town our trailer is stored in front our house and we lock the doors in the summer, but in the winter it is stored out on a farm in the countryside unlocked, but all items removed. I unlock it because I do not want them to break the locks/doors when it is most remote and not monitored.
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie