cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sad Camping Season for us!

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
After getting back home from our week long trip to the lake for Memorial Day, my DH was uncovering the air conditioner when the ladder leg broke. Down he came! His hand hit our chain link fence on the way down, cutting his hand from the top through the web of his little and ring finger, down into the palm. Took 14 stitches to close it, and the bone between the first knuckle of his little finger and his wrist is broken.
Here we are 8 weeks later and he is still in a 1/2 cast, looking at another 2-3 weeks. (Dr said he isn't a spring chicken any more and it takes longer for us "old folks" to heal....) plus we are looking at physical therapy later so he can regain use of his fingers.
Of course, this happened to his dominate hand.
So, we have been off the lake, out of the campground, staying at home just wishin' we were fishin'.....

So, I thank you all, here on our forum, for letting me live through your adventures and seeing your pictures - it has helped this Ole Gal enjoy the treats of being out and about!

Thank you, Okie
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS
25 REPLIES 25

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
Surgery went well. Another period of healing and then therapy. Doctor says that he hopes we will be all done by the first week of October.... 2-3 weeks after we winterize the Cougar.
But next year is going to be great!!!

Still smiling because we are still blessed!
Okie

Now THAT is the attitude we ALL should maintain! Here's to continued blessings and healing! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Surgery went well. Another period of healing and then therapy. Doctor says that he hopes we will be all done by the first week of October.... 2-3 weeks after we winterize the Cougar.
But next year is going to be great!!!

Still smiling because we are still blessed!
Okie
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2010 Cougar 276RLS

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks. Hope and pray we all heal up soon.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
John S. wrote:
I feel your pain. I got home from a rv trip in April and went to the doctor fo the results of the MRI. I had been having some hearing loss. Well, I am thankful I ave the RV. It's in a Long term spot that a KOA set up for me as I go to Johns Hopkins for 6 weeks of radiation for a brain tumor. My summer trips are cancelled and I hope to finish up mid sept.

We are so sorry you are going through this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted when you can, let us know how you are doing?
God Bless you, Okie
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2010 Cougar 276RLS

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel your pain. I got home from a rv trip in April and went to the doctor fo the results of the MRI. I had been having some hearing loss. Well, I am thankful I ave the RV. It's in a Long term spot that a KOA set up for me as I go to Johns Hopkins for 6 weeks of radiation for a brain tumor. My summer trips are cancelled and I hope to finish up mid sept.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Update: We are going to stick with the doctor we saw last night. Much better "bedside manner" - explained a lot to us, and recommended treatment. He is very concerned that there is little mobility in all of DH's fingers due to being in the brace for so long. Should have been in therapy about 4 weeks ago for the 3 fingers not near the break... He said that this is his concern because he is going to fix the bone.

Surgery is scheduled for the 6th of Aug.

We are encouraged with what we learned last night. FINALLY, someone explained clearly what is needing to be done.

The sad news is: we are at home until the latter part of September. By that time, the 5er will have been winterized and put to bed.

But as DH said last night--- "But just wait until NEXT year! Boy, are we gonna have a grand time!"

What a Sweetie. He can still make me smile! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you all, Okie
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2010 Cougar 276RLS

beckid
Explorer
Explorer
When I was a kid, we were out and about on a family vacation in Oregon. My grampa died and my dad had to fly back to So. Cal. to manage things. My mom couldn't drive the truck/Airstream home so they had to fly out a friend to drive the rest of us home with the trailer. I decided right then that I would never get stranded without the knowledge and ability to get myself home. That experience made an impression on me for sure.
Me '54
Him '58
Rain the Awesome Aussie
Maggie the wonderdog over the RB 4/16
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, not the way to end a trip for sure! Hope the healing and therapy do their job and your back out soon.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish we could do something to help your husband. I hate to hear of anyone spending so much time recovering.
I also wish we had seen good photos of the failed ladder (make and model would help as well). I remember seeing a recall on a certain model ladder.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of a "spare" husband, we rely on either of our retired sons-in-law. Because DW is "altitude challenged" and the dumb Flexsteel seats aren't height adjustable, she can't drive the motor-home. We didn't realise that when we bought it.

In the event I become incapacitated, we launch one of the s-i-ls with a one-way ticket from either Bellingham or Seattle to wherever we're stuck and they drive us home.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
I wish we had a "thank you" button here. I would thank each of you for your replies.
Thanks!
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:
Can you not hitch up and drive your rig? Or maybe you could pay someone to haul it up to the lake for you for a week. I bet you'd both feel better if you could get out in your RV.

No, I am unable to hook it up, sure wish I could. I have some physical issues that prevent me from that. Hopefully, DH will get a good report from the second opinion so that we can get at least a couple of weekends at the lake before winterizing in September.

But you are right, we would feel better if we could get out. Maybe a weekend in Camp Driveway! ;):)
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2010 Cougar 276RLS

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
Gosh I'm so sorry to hear this - but what a great attitude you have!

Comfort and speedy healing to your DH.

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Can you not hitch up and drive your rig? Or maybe you could pay someone to haul it up to the lake for you for a week. I bet you'd both feel better if you could get out in your RV.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!