cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Screw In Tire

Explorer II
Explorer II
I picked up a wood screw in one of my FW ST tires yesterday. The tires are less than 1 year old and has about 2K miles to date.

I took it to the tire shop requesting a plug-patch. The resident tire guru informed me that to do the plug would be too invasive on the steel belts and recommended just the patch. I agreed and proceeded with the repair.

Does anyone have personal experience with a patched tire, be it positive or negative? Did you have any issues with the tire after the repair? Personal experience replies only, PLEASE!

My tire in question carries ~2000lbs and is rated for 2540lbs.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
64 REPLIES 64

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Had many tires patched here with no issues......

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I use SLIME,on all my farm equipment, my truck, boat trailer, camper and anything else that springs a leak. Never had a problem with it not working and the seal is permanent...I carry a bottle of it and a 12 compressor in my truck just in case of a low or flat tire.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
wandering1 wrote:
Watch out, you will have all of the tire expert wannabes blaming the tire for picking up a screw because it was made in china.

Why would a tire be partial to Chinese screws ? That is what your sentence implies. "It" always refers to the previous noun, which is the screw.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a tire patched,a patch is the best way to repair a tire with a screw hole.Watch out, you will have all of the tire expert wannabes blaming the tire for picking up a screw because it was made in china.
HR

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I've used nothing but plugs for the past 40 years. No problems for the remaining life of the tires that I plugged. This experience is on E-rated truck tires, P-metric automobile tires, ST trailers tires and all-terrain vehicles including tractors.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I know that this will give the California haters more ammo but, here the use of plugs by a second party is prohibited. Owners can do what they want but repairs by tire shops or mechanics cannot.

I've used all three methods and only had one problem and that was when a plug was used and I think the hole was too big for a plug alone.

I'm to old to do repairs now but if I were to carry one or the other I'd go with the combined plug/patch. In fact I may just buy three sets of them one for the DW and myself and one for each DD. If a flat occurs in a remote area a respondent may not have either and at least we could offer our own.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tire Kingdom, where we go for all tire related needs, will not do plugs anymore. They used to, but a few years ago they quit, and now insist that only way to properly repair a flat, is to patch it from the inside. Not sure if they use a plug in addition, but they always dismount the tire and patch it on the inside when I've been in there for flat repairs.

So, no, I have absolutely no problem with patches. Have had tires patched on a couple different occasions due to collecting a nail or screw, tire has been fine after patching.

..This reminds me of a somewhat related incident I had, with DW's minivan: Had noticed that one tire was loosing air noticeably faster than other 3. I was having to put air in it every couple of weeks. Knew it must have a leak, but I couldnt find any screw or nail in it (they can be difficult to see sometimes). When it went into Kia dealership for oil change last week, I told them to look at the tire and patch as necessary, as it was leaking.

They tell me tire is fine, no leaks in it. I knew they were full of it, as I had personally been having to add 5-10 psi every few weeks. I don't think they bothered to check it. Anyway, I took it over to Tire Kingdom, low and behold, they immediately found a screw in it, pulled it out and patched the tire. Problem solved.

Sometimes, you need to trust your 'gut', and the good ol' tire pressure gauge (or TPMS system), not what a dealership tells you. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
America's tire uses an umbrella patch from the inside. Never a problem.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
True story: A fellow RVer reports purchasing a Pressure Pro TPMS, well it arrived while he was camping so he tossed it in the basement storage intending to put it on when he got home.. 15 miles from the CG, people are honking and pointing, and he found the tire on the towed was totaled, As was the rim, the brakes and the wheel well.

I put mine on when it arrived, 2/3 the way to where I was going and BEEP BEEP. So I added air to the tire on the towed (Same corner as the guy above) and continued to add air all weekend, Monday I added air and headed to the tire store.. They investigated and found that like the O/P, I'd been SCREWED, they removed the screw, put in a proper patch, re-mounted and balanced, and no charge (Road Hazard Warranty). Tire lasted several years.

I would have no problem with a patched tire, Never have had a problem with a patched tire, Used to work in a business where we had many patched tires (Nails, not screws but same effect).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Was an ASE Master Mechanic for 15 years. Living out in the country, I keep items around to prevent being stranded and having to pay for something I could have handled myself. Plugging my tires has never caused a premature failure or rusting of the belts and that has been on everything from my mowers to my 2500 series trucks and trailers. Every situation is different but I know what has worked for me for the last 35 years. You just have to know what you are doing/know your limitations.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
I have an enclosed cargo trailer that I patched the ST tire.
It has been about 1 year, no leaks.

Good job :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine have been patch. Most places will not plug a trailer tire. Contact the tire manufacturer and ask. There are a lot of tire expert wannabes out there that really don't have a clue.
HR

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
A plug patch is the only way allowed, on high pressure truck tires. The plug extends through the hole with sealant and stops water from getting, to the steel belts. The patch part, of course seals in pressure. I wouldn't use just a patch on any tire now. Tires can roll for a hundred thousand miles on some vehicles. A patch without a plug might not stand up that long. imo

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have an enclosed cargo trailer that I patched the ST tire.
It has been about 1 year, no leaks.