cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No thank you. Don't need your help

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had just arrived back at the park when new neighbors arrived to pull in across the way. I am not a busy body so really wasn't paying attention other than to notice that they were really making a production of parking their 20' tt. As I was putting toys away I could hear shouting between the couple (you know the type when folks don't have their system for parking) but again let it be. Couple minutes later I walk around our 5er to stow something on the other side and glance over just in time to see the driver smashing his tt into a very large tree. I immediately shouted STOP.

The spotter thanked me profusely and the she mentioned she could not see that side. So I stayed to spot. Quickly became obvious that my assistance was not welcomed from the driver (yep the dude). After a few suggestions to help him along, all ignored I finally asked what I should have before... "do you need a second set of eyes?" Answer "No thank you". So I wished him luck, offered how I would do it anyways, and offered my help if they asked.

Went back over to finish my own efforts only to hear a loud crunch a few minutes later. Turned to find the truck and trailer at 70 degrees and his rear bumper firmly kissing the same tree. I felt bad for the tree.

I guess my point is that I offered to help some folks who needed it but the assistance was unwanted. If the driver could have swallowed his pride his truck would still be pretty instead of smashed.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"
113 REPLIES 113

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I read through all the posts.. most folks are willing to help it seems, but like all of us, like it when we are appreciated.

This is how I offer to help, I simply say, "Let me know if you need some help" and then go back to my site.

On the humorous side, I am tempted to video the neighbors backing in, you never know when it will be a winner on you tube or America's funniest videos...

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I have NEVER argued during entering or exiting a site (even when we were learning). He did have lots of practice with his boat and I knew how to back a horse trailer.

As the years have passed, we have found that a system of hand signals is extremely helpful.

We don't say a word and he can tell how far he has to back as I hold out my arms in width measurement. I use the signals like the ones used on planes and it works. Folks look at me weird, but it works for us.

Instead of yelling...I get a kiss. :B
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
JC2 wrote:
NC Roamer wrote:
It's not surprising that some have difficulty backing a truck and trailer. Heck, I see people every day doing a poor job of driving forward in a car.

So very true.:R

I have seen a camper driving FORWARD in a drive through site run over the water/electric pedestal. Then, stop, and back over it, I guess to make sure he got it right. :S
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
NC Roamer wrote:
It's not surprising that some have difficulty backing a truck and trailer. Heck, I see people every day doing a poor job of driving forward in a car.

So very true.:R
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
I would and have rejected "help". It has absolutely nothing to do with macho or ego. It's a matter of trust. I don't know you or anything about you.

Same here. I rarely have any problems (a MH is much easier to back in), but I often get in and out several times. Mostly I am just trying to get it exactly where "I" want it. My wife is the spotter and I just have her let me know if I am about to hit anything.

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
some people should not be allowed to tow a trailer. (any size) the guy living next door is one of them.
he can not park correctly (30 ft fifth wheel) in front of his own house and has lots of open and clear space. he is a air traffic controller...yes the guy who tells pilots how to land a plane full of people. so he is not stupid.

me i pull a 48 foot van and must get in and out of very tight places (multiple times a day) without hitting anything. NO spotters required...or wanted.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toedtoes point taken. I ask only if I see them struggle (would you like some assistance) If no, I walk away. If yes I ask what they would like me to do.

I have stopped several people from hitting trees, pick nick tables or the front of my RV and they have thanked me profusely. I figure a tired person does not want driving lessons after a long day on the road. If they want pointers well do it over a cold beverage or cup of coffee the next day

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
If you really think about it.

When you are at home sitting on the front porch do you get up and run across the street or down the street to help someone 'you' think is doing something the wrong way at their house? They most likely would be a bit defensive if you did. Same as when they are in the own site at a CG. :W
No it's not, I have yet to see someone back there house in my neighborhood. I also have very large yard and don't have to worry about them hitting my house. In a tight campground damage can occur, they can hit my RV or truck.

By the way I do assist my neighbors if I see they need help and they do the same for me. We also have cookouts as well. I have great neighbors and we can help each other without having to stick our nose where it does not belong.

I don't think anyone here has indicated that their offer of assistance was due to potential damage to their own RV/vehicle. Most folks have indicated simply that they felt the other person needed assistance and so they approached them and offered to help or offered advice.

I also think there is a difference between walking up to a neighbor (with whom you are on friendly terms) and offering assistance, and walking up to a complete stranger and offering assistance.

In addition, I think that there is a big difference in approaching someone and asking "would you like some assistance" or "can I help" versus approaching someone and just offering advice unsolicited (such as "you need to cut more to the left before you reach the tree" or "go forward and try backing up again and I'll direct you".
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:

When you are at home sitting on the front porch do you get up and run across the street or down the street to help someone 'you' think is doing something the wrong way at their house? They most likely would be a bit defensive if you did. Same as when they are in the own site at a CG. :W
No it's not, I have yet to see someone back there house in my neighborhood. I also have very large yard and don't have to worry about them hitting my house. In a tight campground damage can occur, they can hit my RV or truck.

By the way I do assist my neighbors if I see they need help and they do the same for me. We also have cookouts as well. I have great neighbors and we can help each other without having to stick our nose where it does not belong.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

NC_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc

bankmule66
Explorer
Explorer
sometimes there can be too much help. last winter in Florida guy from park and three others all giving different directions I finally said keep quiet unless i'm about to hit something. this made guy in site behind me upset did not speak the week I was there. other neighbors friendly one who wasn't involved in trying to help brought over a beer as soon as unhooked.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
noplace2 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
When we say we watch the entertainment it is not a slam to those that are not perfect, it's just a saying.

No it's not, and we all know it. Who you trying to kid?

The entertainment part can be watching someone nailing a backin on the first try!

We are currently at South Beach SP, there were two spots that were angled the wrong way coming in, and with the closed loops not allowing approaching from the other direction! Both backed up about a 1/4 block to get to the spot! They did great backing in a straight ling assumed they also hit the site fine also.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Oregon_Ms
Explorer
Explorer
I am always grateful for any help that I can get.