cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second trailer size. Definition. double or triple tow.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
. Many states allow multiple towing, within sensible limits. Our issue is that to stay within the legal 65' length limit and sensibly a second trailer must be equipped with self actuating brakes. Surge brakes, independent of the tow vehicle and first trailer.
There is no Mfgr of a unit that is short ( 10) box ' , wide ( 74") inside, with a 80" high rear door to accommodate a SXS or 2 big MCs side by side.
I am building our own all aluminum unit. The single 4" drop axle concept is to allow a low floor, so ramps and dragging are minimal,
The wide and tall is to allow 1 of todays SxS units to load, exit, entry and tie down.
I am certain we are not the first people to see this need for an enclosed shorter, wider taller enclosed trailer.
How about you? What is on your dimensions wish list for a cargo trailer?
12 REPLIES 12

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS Gde and Grit Dog,
I looked up Middlebury ( (mti) on your recommendation . they never came up on my Google searches or were offeredby local dealers.
From what I can see on their website they do not offer what we need int.Wx rear doorHx box L as a stock build, so as a custom build price is still not in consideration.
I have built many custom trailers for myself and others. this is the first enclosed all Aluminum I propose to build . Running gear is not an issue, Chevy used the same calipers and discs for years before and to this day on many models of vehicle. Parts will be available more reasonably priced than from trailer suppliers long after we need the trailer.
value would be of interest to our heirs, or maybe to a fellow rver that has the same needs. that wants us to build them one. Again no issue.
The many other suggestions like a snowmobile trailer are over axle high bed, ( got one, 8'x 20' hyd. tilt I built in '94 with 2 4 bolt 13" Dodge k car axles ) Its too long and high, not enclosed for security and cleanliness. even my 1974 build 4x 8 box trailer with running gear from a '57 Dodge pickup front axle spindles are still available. It does confuse todays tire changer boys with its left and right hand bolts into hub instead of studs and acorn nuts. They do not know L or R on the bolt head means anything.
With the proliferation and popularity of SxSs and M/Cs, the acceptance of multiple towing I believe trailers with these demensions and features will be common someday soon MFGRs are yet to see it.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Cheaper? I suppose, if you are only comparing the cost of the parts and hardware to an entire trailer.
That’s like saying it’s cheaper to mow 5 acres with a push mower from Walmart vs a large commercial mower. Sure the mower costs only a small fraction but it’ll take you 12 hours a week , every week compared to 2 hours.

It’s awesome that you have the time, skill and tools to do this. I like working in the shop too. Restoring a truck currently, although I really don’t have the free time to do it.

The other consideration is should you want or need to sell the trailer, used cargo trailers retain their value very well, however you’ll have a much more difficult time selling a home made trailer and won’t get as much for it, because no one wants a trailer that they can’t even figure out what brakes and hubs are on it. Add lower residual value to your cost of materials, and unless you’re dumpster diving for the expensive stuff like the aluminum skin, roof, surge brake actuator it may not be much “cheaper” even though you don’t place any value on the cost of your time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
GDE and SD, I’m pretty confused.
GDE, literally most every 7’ wide cargo trailer out there is a low deck height with outboard wheels, flat floor. Unless you specifically get an inline trailer, but those generally aren’t in the small single axle size.
SD, aside from a 7’ wide being about 9” wider interior width than you’re building, everything else you are proposing is basically standard trailer features.
Single 3500lb axle with brakes. Yup
Low deck height. Yup
Available in taller heights. Yup.
Rear drive up ramp door. Yup.

Like I said, nice project, but there are trailers available that for all intents meet your criteria. I bought one a couple years ago, basically exactly what you’re proposing except I opted for 14’ long. Was about $3200 out the door, delivered 100 miles to me ($150 fee but I was in a time crunch). Ordered in any ( basic) color I wanted. Engineered waterproof wood floor. Full plywood walls. 3500lb axle with brakes.
MTI trailers.

Maybe they’re the only ones that make this type of trailer..... but I doubt it.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all of you, you are giving me great ideas.
We do have need for a cargo trailer to transport the SXS and M/Cs to riding areas. A toy hauler is great, but not ideal. Might have to haul or store furniture or?
The reason I have settled on 10' box is that with our tow, 36' 5er, an over all 14' second trailer places us near the 65' maximun length in many states.
We do not need a tandem axle 7k unit that is wide, tall enough for the light load, and it would just be extra weight and overlength. There is also the higher deck height of a longer trailer.
I searched high and low for the size a unit we need, if any mfgr makes them they are without brakes and high decked. Dealers ( Big Tex, Carry on etc.) said noone makes it,
So, old timeretired welder fabricator that I am, build it.
The axle I made with spindles disc brakes from a salvaged Chevy uplander, with surge
actuator, 6bolt 205/50/ 17" tires, new axle tube 8'5" wide to outside of tires. . All aluminum frame and body with 4' wide front doors both sides, rear 35" double doors, not ramp gate( other uses you see?) with stowaway under ramps that can be used rear, or side.. Finished deck height 12" 4500w Genny will mount on the tongue, 14' Porta Bote folded on the side with motors, oars and stuff inside.
There comes a time when what you need just aint out there, or if it is its cost prohibitive. When I'm done, it will be better than any factory job, lighter, safer and just what we need. At much lower cost. Not counting my labor and shop time of course.
This what we need and have decided is right for us.

I started this thread to get the discussion going on what might be your perfect solution to your needs. Maybe the enclosed trailer mfgrs need to take a look at what us 5 th whl RVers with toys need.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have a look at a snowmobile trailer configuration - the whole deck is over the wheels full width flat floor inside. You could probably order a short box version.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might think about ordering a tall trailer, then put a false floor at angle to get over the wheel wells. This would allow shorter ramp, better transition floor ramp, and storage under the false floor

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Sounds like a nice project, but you can buy any number of 7’W x 10’ L cargo trailers. Single or actually tandem axle, even on a short trailer. Height can be ordered taller.
There are many trailers out there that will fit your dimensional preferences very close.
Unless you’re hung up on the exactly 74” interior width which is silly. 7’ trailers are about 80” wide inside.

Again, great project, but not practical from a time and $ standpoint with so many mass produced options available that will fit the Bill.

Depends.

Typical "7ft" wide trailers are measured at the outside dimensions, to get enough inside dimension that the OP wants, the deck will need to be OVER TOP of the wheels in order to Maintain a wide enough FLAT floor. That would mean the deck height will be considerably higher than what the OP wanted in order to have a flat floor (no wheel wells inside).

OP would have to go with a 8' or 8.5' trailer width with drop axles in order to get a wide enough flat deck between the wheels and that would get them the lower deck height.

So in reality OP would need to be looking at 8' or 8.5' x 10ft enclosed trailers with 80" or higher height.. Not exactly a common height dimension.

Found a 8x10 trailer HERE which gives enough flat floor space width between wheel wells of 81" but falls short on the interior height at 6' 7" (79") and door height of 5' 11" (71").

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Sounds like a nice project, but you can buy any number of 7’W x 10’ L cargo trailers. Single or actually tandem axle, even on a short trailer. Height can be ordered taller.
There are many trailers out there that will fit your dimensional preferences very close.
Unless you’re hung up on the exactly 74” interior width which is silly. 7’ trailers are about 80” wide inside.

Again, great project, but not practical from a time and $ standpoint with so many mass produced options available that will fit the Bill.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
Towing: one trailer

Double towing: two trailers

Triple towing: three trailers

DMV / DOT / MOT / Transportation Dept / will have published information.

Driver license classes have reciprocity in the USA and Canada

Vehicle configurations, weights, and dimensions do not

Yep.

Be aware, some states may have stipulations on where "doubles" (or greater) are allowed which means a lot of roads in that state, it may be prohibited and you will have to break down your unit to drive on those roads.. PA is one of those states..

PA also has a rule that the first in tow cannot be "bumper pull" so you would have to have a 5th wheel first then the bumper pull..

Don't know about other states so you will need to do your homework for those.

As far as your custom trailer, sounds like it will be pretty nice!

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like a toyhauler would be much easier unless you have to transport the SXS from the camping area to the riding area.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Montana, "double towing" is two trailers. "Triple towing" is three trailers. Maximum length is 75 feet. IIRC, the applicable law is MCA 61-10-104.
However, "she who must be obeyed" says that ain't gonna happen! I will NOT tow the Jeep towing the boat trailer behind the motorhome!
State law isn't always the final word...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've thought of an enclosed trailer that can be turned around 180 degrees in it's own length so the garage door faces the street when it is parked side by each in your back in camp spot...

Kind of like how this trailer works:

RNLI Shannon class lifeboat beach recovery

Only smaller and more compact.:)