cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

securing an external RV cable

jholovacs
Explorer
Explorer
I am installing an external cell antenna at the back of my travel trailer. The cable will run down the back and enter in a hole near my power cable entrance.

The cable is black. My RV is white. I was thinking about securing it with a long piece of white tape, but I don't know if that will look totally ghetto or not.

Has anyone done something similar? How did it turn out? What is recommended to make it look nice and professional, or at least like the cable is supposed to be there?
2011 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew/ EcoBoost/ 4.10 diff
2016 Open Range 319RLS
2012 Keystone Outback 298RE (traded in)
10 REPLIES 10

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem with the cable to my backup camera. While changing the clearance lights to Leds, I discovered raceways were built in the back wall for all the clearance light wiring and fished the wire thru those raceways. When the center clearance light was off, I made a 1/8 " al plate to go behind it that has a channel to run the power and video wires under that light. And the camera bracket is mounted to that plate. The camera power is taped into the trailer clearance lights power but the video wire runs thru the raceway at the top of the wall and down the right side to the brake light. I couldn't find a way out at the bottom of the wall so I drilled straight thru the wall at the brake light (into a storage closet) to get the video wire out.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
You can also run the cable inside a piece of white pipe, then secure the pipe to the camper using clips.

jholovacs
Explorer
Explorer
Hah the antenna I bought (with the flex spring, mounting plate and built-in ground plane) comes with the 10' black cable attached... messing with that could ding me on the gain.
2016 Open Range 319RLS

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Why not use white cable? Should take only a minute or two to apply some white tape to the trailer and make your own decision as to how it looks there.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider mounting the antenna forward and near the refrigerator vent. You can then use the refrigerator vent to drop the coax down and then on to a convenient location.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some cable raceways. I used double sided foam tape to contain a cell phone booster cable in a raceway on my roof.

Cable Raceway
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

jholovacs
Explorer
Explorer
Well I don't have a ladder, so that's not really an option for me. I don't have a rear cap either; the back is the rear wall of the camper.

I have never heard of cable race ways. I'll look into that.
2016 Open Range 319RLS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is the rear cap on the trailer a true or false rear cap? (my Motor home it's a false cap, the true cap is like 4" farther forward the cable is in the gap).

Running it down the ladder is the best idea I've seen to date. or buy white cable, or both.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is such a thing as cable race ways. You can find them in many places that will have sticky backing to stick to your rv. Simply run the cable inside it and snap it together. The problen you might have it that I dont know how good of UV protection the stuff has. So it could get ugly looking in a year or so

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
For now, we have the same set up. We ran the cable down the ladder then ran it along the window frame with black tape (black frame). When we get some white duct tape we will probably replace the black tape and drop the cable a little lower. I don't think anyone will be looking close enough at our trailer to notice it.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road