cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selecting a dehumidifier

flyboykuao
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, this is our first year of RVing (Class A DP). As part of our winter routine we selected a specific dehumidifier. We live in Oregon's Willamette Valley with fairly mild and very moist winters. I plan to setup inside the RV and vent down the sink drain with the grey water line open. We are storing the RV outside this year with no cover.

I am interested in your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the unit's description in Amazon: Ivation IVADM45 Powerful Mid-Size Thermo-Electric Intelligent Dehumidifier w/Auto Humidistat - For Small Spaces of Up to 100 Square Feet

Here is the Amazon URL:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KO0S0U8/ref=as_at?imprToken=Wfuq9RPLnKjklow8ZQ5Bow&slotNum=8&ie=UTF8&tag=goodairgeeks-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=w61&creativeASIN=B00KO0S0U8&linkId=9d696057f420889eacb9a3a05ed1a4b2
10 REPLIES 10

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to drill a hole in my D/H tank and run a hose in into the sink or outside if possible. but it doesn't get that cold here. I can see one freezing up if it was real cold. you might need a heater set to come on at about 35 deg. just enough to keep things from freezing.
Jay D.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen an Ivation model that has a continuous drain option on the tank.
Mine actually froze over an inch band across the front, not sure about the internals but it was noticeably heavier when I brought it in the house to thaw.
I also have one of those crystal moisture absorbers in the TT. When the crystals change color, you plug it in elsewhere to have it heat up and release the moisture into the air.
I'm still trying to figure out how I can use my new TT cover and gain access to the DHs. No door zipper! Might put it under the front bed near the outside access panel, propping the bed up with a stud.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Ivation ivadm-35 from Amazon, small and inexpensive for storage it works great. I close everything up tight and open everything inside and turn it on and let it run. T/T stays dry and fresh, I dump mine about every other day. but thinking about putting a hose in the tank and letting it go in the sink. best investment I've made for storage of my T/T.
Jay D.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What to do about condensation?

The cause of the condensation is the walls are below the dew point temperature. If the walls can be made warm enough the problem disappears. Running a fan to circulate air may help to raise the temperature on the surface of the wall.

One other solution is to reduce the relative humidity inside the RV.

The easiest way to do that is to open a roof vent a bit, find the furthest window from the vent and open that a bit. An electric heater near the window will improve that and keep you warmer. I'd suggest a low wattage radiant type, or a small oil filled (if the oil filled can be on a shelf so the air from the window passes over the fins.)

I know opening a vent and window when it is cold seems counter intuitive, but it does work.

Another possible solution is an electric dehumidifier--but the cooler it is the poorer they work. They are generally energy hogs, some what bulky and definitely noisy.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We cover ours and crack the ceiling vents and window covers at each end of the rig and never had a humidity problem in the Chicago area.
When an RV is not covered there is a larger difference in the inside temperature from daytime to nighttime which sucks in the moist air and causes the humidity buildup. There is a long explanation which I will skip.
Just my $.03 adjusted for inflation.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
"Squeezes Up to 25 oz. of Water a Day From Humid Air from small areas"

LOL that's terrible for that $80 thermoelectric unit. My 70 pint GE will pull out two gallons in only a few hours from my trailer during humid weather.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I'd get a real dehumidifier, something like a 20 pint that has a humidity level setting. The one you're looking at has no provision for continuous draining, you have to dump it every few days.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too small! You will want one to handle maybe three times that!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here

To make a web address a clicky, use the advanced tab when making a post. Use the globe tab and paste it in.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I went shopping for one several years ago I did a web search for ratings and reviews. Bought the one with the best ratings. Never was disappointed with my pick.
For an alternative to Amazon shop at www.compactappliances.com. have bought several items from them. Always got it within three or four days, free shipping good prices. Remember no matter what brand they all come from China.
BTW, instead of putting the water down the drain, thus making your trap not winterized, simply place it on the table, stick the hose out the window.