cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self defense while traveling

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I were discussing a small handgun for defense while traveling. I was doing some research and it seems the only way to transport a handgun is unloaded and in a locked container.... Just a few problems with that, 1- rarely do criminals or people that mean to do you harm let you go and unlock your gun case, get your gun, and then wait while you load it..., 2- with all these darn rules that make a mockery of our 2nd amendment rights, why bother???..... I will just keep that great big butcher knife close by I guess.....
Proud father of a US Marine
157 REPLIES 157

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
mikim wrote:
Knock on Wood!!! We have never been in an unsafe situation while rv, ing. That being said, we do alot of hiking and I think it is time to buy a couple of cans of bear spray that could have the same type of protection without the hazards of a handgun.

X1, I carry a Bear Spray in all my vehicles, 5th. wheel and in my home. My Bear Spray can will shoot out a stream of bear spray about 25 to 30 ft. It cost about $45 a can. I don't want any intruder or unwelcome person any closer than 30 ft. to me if they are threatening to me or my family.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
Most Americans don't travel with guns as someone stated. Only those paranoid do.

I believe you're referring to my post. To clarify, I did NOT say most Americans travel with guns. I said most Americans who say they want a gun for security make that decision regardless of how much of a risk there actually is in their lives.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sport45 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
No, it isn't that dangerous to travel in the US. Many Americans have the "I'm going to get them before they get me" mentality which results in wanting a gun for the rare chance that something could possibly happen at some point in their lives and they need to be prepared for that chance no matter how unlikely it is.

(I'm not being political or mean, but this IS the basic underlying reason why most Americans indicate they want a gun.)

You state that with a capital "IS" like it's a fact. You sure it isn't opinion? I know it doesn't describe me at all and I've been a native-born American for over 55 years now.

Yes, I'm sure it's not an opinion. It's based on the reasons why most Americans state they want a gun - because they feel the need to protect themselves from the chance of being a victim, regardless of how unlikely they are to be a victim.

Are there people who want to carry guns for other reasons - of course. That's why I didn't say ALL. Again, this isn't an insult or political.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
. . . rarely do criminals or people that mean to do you harm let you go and unlock your gun case, get your gun, and then wait while you load it...,

Exactly. That's why I opt for a phased pulse rifle in the 40W range.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

roman_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Your rv is the same as your home. You can have a firearm be it short arm or long gun in your home. It must be secured with a legal storage device. When you take it out that's when you have to be aware of the local laws. If the fact that I carry a legal concealed weapon makes me paranoid, so be it. I have had several incidents where a member of my family was threatened. My wife was car jacked and my mother was almost beat to death while working in a convenience store. In either case I was not around at the time. The one time I came home and found my home being robbed and threatened with a pick handle my little 9mm but a stop to all the BS without anyone getting hurt. So much for being paranoid.

RT

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Yet another gun thread that's allowed to continue. How sad and selective.
‘Love is what’s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.’ - Elain - age 8

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote:
Is it that dangerous to travel in the US?

I hope not. I grew up in the South Bronx and never saw or heard a gun. Got mugged once as a teen mostly because I was too busy paying attention to my platform shoes. Stopped wearing them which made my mother exceedingly happy at the time, LOL.

Have traveled and lived in various countries throughout the world and never felt the need to arm myself there either.

I will say that as an American I've never been past the eastern shore of the Ohio River which makes me kinda ashamed to say "Oh yeah I've been to Doha but not Duluth". Also explains why I'm interested in RVing on this continent. Still, reading gun threads makes me wonder what is going on in other regions of the country.

My shoe incident and just city living has taught me to be aware of my surroundings, effect a fearless attitude in unexpected dodgy locales and stayyyyyy in the light.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Most Americans don't travel with guns as someone stated. Only those paranoid do.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the best self defence is to be aware of your surroundings and stay away from areas that may be a problem.

gcvt
Explorer
Explorer
Rhode Island is a 'shall issue' concealed carry State. If you have a permit, you can use this site to find out which other States honor your permit: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

You have to be a member to use the feature but https://www.usconcealedcarry.com has a trip planner that will tell you exactly how your concealed carry firearm must be stored in every State included in your itinerary.
2003 Ford E250 Sportsmobile EB10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nobody except those that intend harm to me/family will actually know whether I am armed or not.

I might have 15 pistols/handguns, 10 rifles, 4 shotguns, 3 bows, 2 slingshots, a couple of 'saps' and a baton..........OR just a BB gun.

Maybe I just have a 'cowboy' imagination

Nobody needs to know for sure unless...........!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
No, it isn't that dangerous to travel in the US. Many Americans have the "I'm going to get them before they get me" mentality which results in wanting a gun for the rare chance that something could possibly happen at some point in their lives and they need to be prepared for that chance no matter how unlikely it is.

(I'm not being political or mean, but this IS the basic underlying reason why most Americans indicate they want a gun.)

You state that with a capital "IS" like it's a fact. You sure it isn't opinion? I know it doesn't describe me at all and I've been a native-born American for over 55 years now.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
owenssailor wrote:

My first question too. We have traveled in the U.S. and never felt the need to pack a weapon but I suppose there is a first time for everything. Judging by the number of gun threads on these forums paranoia seems to be common.

The best defense is a good offense.
No, you do not need to be one of the some who have defensive firearms, its enough of a deterrent to the bad guys to think you do.
As an US/ Canadian dual citizen myself, I am not armed, but make the pretense ( a sign , bulge under my belt.,? ) when in permissive locations.
Liken it to preventive maintenance.
When you have no offense capability, you are defenseless. WW 1&2 history should have taught you the recourse of that.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
There are better forums than this one for discussing self defense issues. I suggest you ask elsewhere if you're serious about having deadly force available in your vehicle or RV. Here, the debate will be more about whether you should or shouldn't with opinions polarized one way or the other.

Search for forums using key words defense, firearms, carry, etc.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
romore wrote:
owenssailor wrote:

My first question too. We have traveled in the U.S. and never felt the need to pack a weapon but I suppose there is a first time for everything. Judging by the number of gun threads on these forums paranoia seems to be common.

I agree.

But, if you MUST have a gun to travel with--- unless you are a well-trained person who is willing to shoot a lot, you are better off with a shotgun.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board