cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Self defense while traveling

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I were discussing a small handgun for defense while traveling. I was doing some research and it seems the only way to transport a handgun is unloaded and in a locked container.... Just a few problems with that, 1- rarely do criminals or people that mean to do you harm let you go and unlock your gun case, get your gun, and then wait while you load it..., 2- with all these darn rules that make a mockery of our 2nd amendment rights, why bother???..... I will just keep that great big butcher knife close by I guess.....
Proud father of a US Marine
157 REPLIES 157

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
The entire premise of this thread is wrong from the git go! You do not need a self defense item while traveling. You get it out and prepare it after you set up camp. When you are moving it does you no good.
At 61 years of age I have never needed a firearm, and in my early years I led a fairly disreputable life.

That being said I carry a shotgun, unloaded with the shells in a elastic band on the stock. Rest assured that it is within arms reach at all times while in my camper.

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
You read every day some good guy with a gun kills some bad guy with a gun. Im just saying

I don't know where you're reading this, perhaps the comic books, but it sounds absurd. I don't read about a shooting every day, let alone the good guy shooting the bad guy. In fact, I've read more times about kids getting ahold of improperly locked guns and accidentally shooting themselves or a friend that the good guy shooting the bad guy (excluding, of course, a cop shooting a bad guy). I'm no anti-gun nut, but let's at least make reasonable arguements here. Just saying.

I don't know about this either, the numbers I read are 500,000 to 2,000,000 times a year a crime was stopped by a good guy with a gun without a shot ever being fired. Jim.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I am amused by the many times it has been said "It is just good insurance!".
It has been said about SO many different things, from fire extinguishers (manual and automatic) to having extra belts and hoses in a storage bin.
BUT, if somebody says it about carrying a weapon (of any kind) for protection, it is suddenly evidence of paranoia or being macho or anything derogatory, but NEVER "just good insurance".
It also brings out the armchair "Dr. Phils". Their posts are often fun to read. They always seem to jump to the conclusion that people carry weapons exclusively for protection from 2 legged varmints. I guess they are "city folks". The fact is, we have a lot of 4 legged varmints where we go camping that don't like us invading their living rooms, and sometimes (not often, thankfully, but it does happen) register their dislike rather violently and viciously. It is best to be prepared, with that "good insurance"!
As somebody else stated, if you see my rig in the KOA in Great Falls, there is no way to know whether I am armed or not. If you see my rig in Copper Creek Campground in the mountains near Lincoln, in bear country, you can pretty well bet that I have something with me!
Paranoid? When way back in the mountains, communing with Nature at its finest and potential worst, you bet I am!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I thank the moderator for allowing this thread to continue as this topic is a valid concern to many RVers. Weather or not you are pro or anti on the issue of firearms is not the point here. I also carry and have my permit from TN so I advise you to look into getting your carry permit to be legal in most states should you choose to get a firearm. Please please please get the training to handle it confidently and safely. Research the state laws you plan to be visiting on every trip, every time, as things are changing fairly quickly in this realm. Be careful listening to advice like " your RV is same as your home". Go ahead and do that in Jersey and you will be in jail. Handgunlaw.us is a good site to look at. No one else's opinion matters when it comes to you and your family's safety as its totally up to you how you wish to accomplish that goal. Staying in a Walmart parking lot over night you never know what you may be exposed to, even in interstate rest areas, nothing is totally safe. Just because it may be rare instances, the one time you are picked to be the next victim you will thank yourself for taking on the responsibility of your own defense. When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away. Too many meth heads and low lives out there for me to take that kind of chance. Be safe in what ever choice you make.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
You read every day some good guy with a gun kills some bad guy with a gun. Im just saying

I don't know where you're reading this, perhaps the comic books, but it sounds absurd. I don't read about a shooting every day, let alone the good guy shooting the bad guy. In fact, I've read more times about kids getting ahold of improperly locked guns and accidentally shooting themselves or a friend that the good guy shooting the bad guy (excluding, of course, a cop shooting a bad guy). I'm no anti-gun nut, but let's at least make reasonable arguements here. Just saying.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
None of this debate would be allowed if we did not have the Second Amendment!

It's your choice to own or not to own a gun or guns.

But I can tell you from many conversations that the typical "Liberal" voting RVer is carrying a gun.

I will always be prepared for that slight chance of a problem. If I do break a law in protecting my family that's fine, as they say I would rather be judged by Eight than carried by 6!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Old tv show Have Gun Will Travel...

My take is if they are willing to rob you let them take it, your life and your family members are worth more than your so called valuables and if you risk saving your so called valuables and you get seriously hurt or killed then imagine what your family will be going through after the incident. I rather be around and be with my family and watch them grow!
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I obtained a concealed carry handgun permit after my dog and I were hassled by a coyote while hiking in a local park. If it had been rabid and attacked I suppose I couldโ€™ve climbed a tree but my golden retriever wouldโ€™ve been ripped to shreds. I donโ€™t feel particularly paranoid, being 6โ€™5โ€ 215lbs and in good shape Iโ€™ve never been mugged, why bother when there are far easier targets than me. However, I think the fire extinguisher comparison is a good one. Just because youโ€™ve never had a fire doesnโ€™t mean that itโ€™s not a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy. You self-righteous quick-to-judge folks should remember that.

Steve

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Homeowner's insurance is money I could happily spend on something else.
What are the chances of a lightning strike or a flood?
I'm spending $1200 a year on a very off chance I'll have to use it.
Seems crazy.
Go and figure.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
Wasp Spray.

Shoots 20ft and will blind your attacker until the get to emergency and have eyes treated and flushed.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Shotgun and/or Bear Spray.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fishinghat wrote:
Don't take a handgun since possession laws can land you in jail. Instead, take a 12 gauge pump shotgun. You don't need a license. Everyone, especially a potential crook, knows what a pump shotgun sounds like when a round is loaded. So, the sound will scare him away and you won't have to expose yourself or fire a "warning shot". That way, you won't have to explain anything to the police and you'll be safe.

Interesting, I was wondering this the other day. When we fulltime I want a firearm with us and a 12 gauge can be driven thru all states?

my hubby is a hunter and I know we will be transporting some of his guns and I need to find out about this in the near future about what guns we can take with us and be legal?

We don't travel with guns now but hunting and protection is on my mind about how to handle this later.

gcvt
Explorer
Explorer
noplace2 wrote:
Yet another gun thread that's allowed to continue. How sad and selective.

Care to elaborate?
2003 Ford E250 Sportsmobile EB10

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
owenssailor wrote:
Is it that dangerous to travel in the US?

My first question too. We have traveled in the U.S. and never felt the need to pack a weapon but I suppose there is a first time for everything. Judging by the number of gun threads on these forums paranoia seems to be common.

Is it paranoia to carry a fire extinguisher? I've never needed one but I still want to be prepared.

MrWizard
i've been robbed twice
once at knife point, my wallet and cash

once at gun point, they stole a motorcycle

the first one was never caught
the second was caught within 2 hours, a juvenile (aka under 18yrs)
and prosecuted

neither time was i in a bad neighborhood, or someplace i shouldn't have been

the first on my way to work
the second leaving my BIL auto shop, caught me stopped in the drive way checking traffic, and stuck a gun in my face

it can happen anytime anywhere to anybody
there is NO such thing, "as it only happens to somebody else, never to me"
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s