cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shingles,,, how many have gotten shingles after vaccination!

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
so the football player terry bradshaw, is again on the TV tell all to get the shingles vaccination to help prevent shingles cause he had shingles and it was painful.

SO my question is.

How many of my rvnet friends have gotten the shingles vaccination, how much did it cost, and did it prevent, or lessen the shingles discomfort.

wish they had a poll feature here like some other sites i visit..
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.
36 REPLIES 36

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
As sort of a side note, you can get shingles on / in your eyes and it can cause blindness if it happens there.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
DW got the shot a year or so ago from Walgreens, no cost to us as insurance paid for it. No symptoms. She was concerned as her dad had a bad case of shingles when he was alive.

mikensallyt
Explorer
Explorer
D a n g .... guess I best get the shot regardless after reading up on it. And along with the pneumonia shot also. SOB. I felt like a human pin cushion in the military and thought it was all over with (needles and shots), I guess not.
Retired USN 1996, RMCS(SW/AW)
Traveling solo in my 2015 Thor Challenger since my wife of 25 years went solo to the Lord
Seems like every trip out there's a warranty repair on it afterwards
F/T in two years from now. Last child to graduate first.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had the shot last October. The MD billed $240.00 for shingles shot. Medicare did not cover it at all. My insurance paid $112.00 as the contract amount. I paid zero.

No shingles yet.
Interesting article at

http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/hcp/clinical-overview.html#complications
One thing it states is "In adults vaccinated at age 60 years or older, vaccine efficacy wanes within the first 5 years after vaccination, and protection beyond 5 years is uncertain;" there is more but I want you to go to the site and read the whole article.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got mine free while I was still working. My dad had a horrible case that lasted for months. He carried the scars to his grave. I didn't need a reminder to get the shot. Would have paid for it had it not been free. Not worth the **** shot, just get the shot.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
We got the shingles shot several years ago. No side effects. Medicare or Insurance paid for it. Don't remember a cost mentioned.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We paid $120 for the shot but other places wanted a lot more so make some calls. We got the shot two years ago and haven't had them.

I know one or two people who have had shingles after the shot, but the said it was very mild and they considered the shot to well worth it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.