cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I Buy The Dealer's Hitch

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm buying a bumper pull trailer and the dealer is offering to install a weight distribution hitch for $1,000. They said it is an Equal-i-zer, I don't remember which model. It's my first trailer so it may be nice to have it set up, but I'm pretty sure I could watch a YouTube video and do it myself. I installed a base plate on a Jeep. I checked Amazon and I see Equal-i-zer hitches for around $700. GVWR on the trailer is about 9,000 pounds. I'm planning to tow it with an F 250 though I might get an F150 if people think that's plenty. The difference in price isn't a big deal. Would you pull it first and then decide if it feels like it needs the WDH?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
44 REPLIES 44

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
If you get the F250, you will not need a weight distributing Hitch.
If you get the F150, you will need a weight distributing Hitch. Ford requires a WDH for the F150 at tongue weights over 500# and tow weights over 5K#.
There was an online seller a couple years back that was selling the Husky Centerline WDH for about $300 and it can be had with various ratings up to 1200# TW, 12K# tow. Noisy on tight right angle turns from the bars sliding on their brackets. Part of the friction needed for sway control. I like mine but itโ€™s the only one Iโ€™ve owned.
If you go the F150 route, get the Max Tow (53C) for the reinforced hitch & a thicker frame.
9000# towing with an F150 is doable, but I kinda concur with the other poster who said 7500# is the F150โ€™s comfortable tow limit. Above that is more work. And really crappy gas mileage. Towing usually makes for crappy gas mileage but pushing the upper limits is worse. Anecdotal evidence here and at related sites is youโ€™ll get 6-9mpg with 9K# towed by an F150. So the choice is also, better non towing mileage with the F150 or bettering towing mileage with the F250.
At 9000#, youโ€™ll likely need the 2&5/16โ€? ball. Yes, you need big balls!
Sometimes the RV dealer will have used WDHs from upgrade trade-ins, ask about those. Mine was, and they installed it for $300 total (& they did it perfectly) I downloaded the manual and watched YouTubes on it. I didnโ€™t have to reset it going from my 2008 Explorer to my 2019 F150 but did have to after moving the trailer axle from above to below the springs for a near 5โ€ clearance gain.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

TenOC wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
TenOC wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
I'm buying a bumper pull trailer and the dealer is offering to install a weight distribution hitch for $1,000. ?

$1,000 NO NO NO!!!! You can get a used Hensley Arrow or a used ProPride hitch for a few $ more. Search this forum for either and read the reviews.

"a few $ more"? Really? I just did a search and it looks like the new ones run about $4,000. Yikes! I'm not poor, but I'm not made out of money, either.

One quick search for a USED ARROW Link $1,800

That's a bit more than a "few Dollars more" .. Almost double.! Not saying that the Hensley is not worth it, they are.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
DallasSteve wrote:
TenOC wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
I'm buying a bumper pull trailer and the dealer is offering to install a weight distribution hitch for $1,000. ?

$1,000 NO NO NO!!!! You can get a used Hensley Arrow or a used ProPride hitch for a few $ more. Search this forum for either and read the reviews.

"a few $ more"? Really? I just did a search and it looks like the new ones run about $4,000. Yikes! I'm not poor, but I'm not made out of money, either.

One quick search for a USED ARROW Link $1,800
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Make sure they are specifying an Equal-i-zer and not any other hitch that they are calling Equalizer. the fact that you spelled it out seems you've already checked that but you want to be sure.

Make sure it's a 4 point sway control Equal-i-zer and not the less expensive 2 point sway control.

Yes they can be a bit noisy. Make sure the bottom and top of the sway bar sockets are greased. This is not the inside of the socket where the bar actually goes but the exterior top and bottom of the square tubes the bars slide into.

$300 for install doesn't found too far off.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Thomas/NH wrote:

Having towed with several F150s (hundred of thousands miles), it's a better truck than the Super Duty. I have had 3 Super Duty's. My current one is a F350/PS 6.7 Lariat and I tow 42' fifth-wheel and it's one hell of a good truck, but the last F150 was a better truck all around (except capacity & power). Keep in mind, that there are F150s and then their are F150s. You need to buy a truck properly equipped to tow the load you have.

Thomas
Thanks for the feedback. It seems like I need the F250 for this much trailer, but your comment concerns me. (In case you missed it the trailer is a max weight of 9,000 pounds- 7,760 empty) Why do you think the F150 is a better truck? Will I regret stepping up to the F250?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
TenOC wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
this is the place on your trailer to spend the bucks. you want it to pull like a feather,not a 18teen wheeler.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I guess that explains the bangs I hear from travel trailers here in the RV park. I keep thinking they hit something but it's just the hitch banging.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
DallasSteve wrote:

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I had a 9000lb TT that I pulled with an F150, then a Yukon 3/4T - You definitely will need a weight distribution hitch with an F150; F250 will handle it OK without but would recommend it anyway for sway control (many tow without).

Equilizer was a great weight distribution hitch BUT you need to get the plastic pads that ride on the L-brackets and grease the pivot otherwise they are VERY NOISY. I was embarrassed every time I pulled into a campground before I added the plastic pads.

Certainly you can install it yourself if you're somewhat mechanically inclined and have the tools. If you have more money than time the price doesn't seem bad.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
If you're willing to pay the $1000's extra for an F250 over an F150, then why are you quibbling over the $300 of shop time to have the hitch installed? That's 2 hours of shop time these days, which is about right.

Say what??? When was the last time you went truck shopping? There is very little differnce between the 150s and the 250 or the 350 set up the same. Availability of trucks is another issue. Yes, I've been shopping and very discouraged by the lack of inventory. My local Ford dealer usually has hundreds of trucks on the lot, only had 6 Super dutys and 35 F150s.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you're willing to pay the $1000's extra for an F250 over an F150, then why are you quibbling over the $300 of shop time to have the hitch installed? That's 2 hours of shop time these days, which is about right.

Then again, you 100% will need to adjust it yourself once you get home and get the trailer loaded. You're only paying for them to assemble the hitch and physically put it on the truck/trailer.

Guess I'm not really helping.

For a 9000GVW trailer, go with the F250. Even with modern trucks I still maintain that 7500 loaded is the COMFORT limit for an F150.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
I've never towed with an Equal-i-zer hitch, I'm a Reese dual-cam guy (had several of them due to the heavy tongue weight of my Reflections). I think Equal-i-zer is the most popular since that what dealers push. However, they are very noisy, my traveling companion has one on his Airstream/Mercedes. I can tell he's arrived as soon as he pulls into the campground. That's his number 1 complaint with it and it's hard to snap-up (yes, he does use the tongue jack as well). The only thing to caution you about is: height of hitch receiver on a F250. You'll probably need a long drop shank.
Having towed with several F150s (hundred of thousands miles), it's a better truck than the Super Duty. I have had 3 Super Duty's. My current one is a F350/PS 6.7 Lariat and I tow 42' fifth-wheel and it's one hell of a good truck, but the last F150 was a better truck all around (except capacity & power). Keep in mind, that there are F150s and then their are F150s. You need to buy a truck properly equipped to tow the load you have.
As far as having the dealer supply and install the hitch... There are a lot of things you don't know about setting it up properly and it will make all the difference in your towing experience.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Equilizer that I installed myself, it isn't that hard if you have basic tools and some mechanical ability.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say the weight and length of your trailer, but in most, if not all cases, weight distribution and anti-sway bar are recommended. Some may say otherwise with the anti-sway stating that a properly loaded trailer will eliminate the need for it, but we have always had them for our bumper pulls with no regret.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton