cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I get Weight Distribution, Sway Control or Both

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
I'm close to finalizing a purchase of a 29 foot travel trailer, GVWR of 7700 lbs. The TV is a 2015 F150, with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine and max trailer towing package, with a towing capacity of 10,500 lbs. Part of the deal involves a set of sway bars - but after discussing this with the dealer today, I'm wondering if I'm better off with a weight distribution hitch or both. If I don't take the sway bars, I can likely take some other add on instead.
23 REPLIES 23

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Keen Family wrote:
The brand is Husky - not sure which model. My suspicion is it is an add on friction control sway bar, but I'm not sure at this point.

Tell the dealer you want an Equalizer 10k or no deal. You do not want an add-on sway control, period.

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Keen Family wrote:
The brand is Husky - not sure which model. My suspicion is it is an add on friction control sway bar, but I'm not sure at this point.

Tell the dealer you want an Equalizer 10k or no deal. You do not want an add-on sway control, period.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Keen Family wrote:

I have a Husky as well. Exceptional customer support. I had a keeper fail on the WD bar and they replaced the keeper without question (spring steel that holds the bar in the hitch) and the bar which dragged on the ground.

I ended up getting a second sway bar which alleviated any push from semis and large vehicles and it made a huge difference. The cost was an additional $80 and was well worth the cost. If you buy this rig and get the Husky system don't hesitate to get the second sway bar if you feel your trailer move on you when large vehicles pass you. A 29' trailer will have some fulcrum working with you.

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
What part of "a combined weight distribution hitch and sway bars" indicates to you that it's NOT combined?

Doesn't "combined" mean combined?

"Many" WDH don't have integrated sway control as you already know. However, they work just fine when "combined" with a add on sway bar.
So to me. Combined only means that a sway bar in included in the package, not that Sway Control is integrated into the WDH.
That is how I took it.

I agree, especially since the OP thought you could use one or the other.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
What part of "a combined weight distribution hitch and sway bars" indicates to you that it's NOT combined?

"Many" WDH don't have integrated sway control as you already know. However, they work just fine when "combined" with a add on sway bar.
So to me. Combined only means that a sway bar in included in the package, not that Sway Control is integrated into the WDH.
That is how I took it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
You can get one on Cragslist cheap. I got a brand new Equalizer for $150.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they're selling you what they have. Instead of a unit that combines WD and sway control in one, they are steering you toward a WD hitch and add-on sway bars. It's not bad, but not as good as an all-in-one product like the ones named previously. Sway bars' amount of friction (and protection) are greatly lessened when they get wet (think rain), and I've heard tales of people bending the bars because they forgot to loosen them before backing up sharply into a campsite.

I had an Equal-i-zer for my 24' TT and it worked great. Bought it here:
RV Wholesalers
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
What brand are they giving you?

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Went back to the dealer and they are including a combined weight distribution hitch and sway bars.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely need it. I like my BlueOx.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You need a good integrated system such as the Reese Dual Cam system or something equivalent
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Hensley man myself. Superior control under all conditions. Had a Reese dual cam. No comparison. Lots more money though for the Hensley. But I feel so much safer with it than I ever did with the Reese.
Tight turning radius with no noise too.
My personal view and choice.