cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sleeping on air mattress equipped sofa bed ??????

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Next summer I am planning an eight-week trip to the West Coast with my daughter and her husband; thus, we will be using the sofa as a bed. The sofa is equipped with an air mattress which is very uncomfortable and reacts every time your partner moves. I have looked at getting a mattress-n-the box to place on top of the uninflated air mattress. The problem with this is that each day we will need to move this mattress to the master bedroom for storage while we are driving on the road. In the past I have used a 4- or 6-inch foam topper on the sofa sleeper or on the dinette when we use it as a sleeper for the kids. However, I suspect that the mattress-n-the box is going to be much thicker than 6 inches and thus much heavier and more difficult to move each morning. We have also considered replacing the sofa with one without an air mattress -- we probably would still need a 4-inch foam topper.

Has anyone placed a 6 inch foam topper on an inflated air mattress equipped sofa bed?

Your thoughts and comments are most welcome.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
9 REPLIES 9

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there enough room in your rig to leave the sofa folded up as a sofa and then get a good air mattress (Like the air dream thing) and lay it on the floor each night ? Then each morning deflate it and put it in a storage compartment somewhere.

Part of the uncomfortable mattress in your sofa might have to do with the fact that it's part of the sofa.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a sofa sleeper, totally uncomfortable, so we added a 2" topper to it. The sofa when in the sofa mode was far enough from the wall that the topper would stay there when rolled up, partially behind the sofa and partially above.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think MFL is talking about an Air Dream Mattress. We had this same mattress on our queen size sofa sleeper in our Terry TT that pulled out like a residential sleeper sofa.

We found one of these Air Dream mattresses at an RV surplus furniture place in Middlebury IN and it's been great! It's a regular sleeper coil spring mattress with an airbed attached to the top. Unfold the sofa then inflate the air mattress. Storage is easy, just deflate the mattress and it folds into the sofa.

We had that Trailer for 13 years and have had many couples sleep on that sofa as guests, and everybody raved about how comfortable it was! Even had my 2 grown daughters share the bed on one trip and they loved it too!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't recall the brand, but my air bed sofa came with a really comfy air mattress, that is heavy duty, and textured. It comes with corded attached pump, and an outlet right there to plug in. It inflates very quickly, and releases air quickly. I was impressed after sleeping there a couple times. It even came with a very soft fitted cover. I am sure it is chambered, as it did not move/bounce my 14 lb best friend that always sleeps wherever I do.

Jerry

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Quality air mattress WITH air chambers work well

Another vote for the above.

*If* you want to use two twin air mattresses - make sure they will both fit on the sofa bed.

The mattresses in a box - are way more expensive than air mattresses - and as a poster said, real PITA to move around!!- in a word, DON'T.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quality air mattress WITH air chambers work well
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
For their comfort I'd suggest the foam mattress topper (3" or 4") and store it each morning. After about two nights they will regret the air mattress convenience for the comfort. Their backs will appreciate it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
Half inflate the factory mattress. Put a pair half inflated "twin" mattresses on that then a thin topper.

Separate 'twin' air mattresses -- each can be inflated to sleepers comfort level and movement doesn't affect the other

Mattress in a box are great in the box...fairly easy to move around
Let them out of the box and best if you do so where you plan on using it....heavy/awkward to move and PITA to take off sofa bed/move to master bedroom

Separate twin air mattresses sounds like the solution
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Half inflate the factory mattress. Put a pair half inflated "twin" mattresses on that then a thin topper.