cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So what are your plans for 2017?

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I've been planning a trip for the last two years and health and grandkids and life just got in the way. Cross our fingers, it looks like we are a go for Feb 2017 and if all goes well, we will leave Washington and keep driving south until we hit some warm and then hug the warm until warm turns to hot and then and only then head home. Hope to see as many State and National Parks as time will allow.

What are your plans for next year? Anything special?
62 REPLIES 62

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to take the RV to the west coast and then jump a cruise or fly to Hawaii and check that out as a future snowbird place.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
No plans. Here are possibilities: Oregon coast as far as the Redwoods / Hells Canyon / Yellowstone via Tetons / Glacier / a month or so south in the Fall - AZ, Mohave, etc. / our favorite WA locations. If we check off 3 from this list it will be a successful season.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Our RV will not be ready for pick up so we are making relax plans w/o it in the mix.

First up, a trip to Panama, to introduce DGD, to the country and it's history, personal and historical. Still working on a date but Easter time frame is looking good.

Next, a trip to D.C., during Memorial Day weekend. Lot's of museum viewings and breakfasts at the Hay-Adams always makes me happy.

Made a tenting reservation at a near Boston campground for the 4th of July. Hope to continue our New England tour further north.

A cruise somewhere; haven't decided exact final destination yet but it'll prolly be to France or England and may or may not include the DGD.

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Did 4 - 1 week trips in 2016 but now in the middle bathroom remodel so not as many in 2017. Thinking a two week trip to Yellowstone but she wants to visit the east coast(Myrtle Beach). May do both and call it good. Alot of places I'd like to go but getting to point I don't want to come home after trips, the boys and the wife wouldn't mind either.
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer
malexander wrote:
Spend lots of weekends at the lake. Go to Branson a few times. Go to Oshkosh for two weeks in July.

What part OF okc do you live in? I also reside in OKC on north side near Penn Square mall area.

Gumbolady
Explorer
Explorer
Trip out West in May, Yellowstone and beyond...we are any timers...

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
Maine this year.
Been going to Maine every other year since 1980.
Tent, pop-up and now the first trip with the B+.

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
We have a cruise out of Texas in a couple weeks. Then another in July out of Seattle to Alaska. We usually do one in the winter but the DW wants to go to Alaska on the boat. Otherwise we just do several weekend trips to a local haunt with the camper (practically every weekend). Add in a few extended weekends to neighboring states.
That about does it. My wife's employer changed how vacation is given out and she lost days so we won't have as much flexibility from now on. Bummer. It doesn't go well as my work schedule. I work about two and a half months in the spring and again in the fall. Rest of the time is work if I want and enjoy the rest!
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
These smaller print signs are hare to read when traveling in unfamiliar roads at hwy speeds.

This is why I recommended a good GPS program-you can put the parameters in to avoid these roads. Not an end-all, I agree, so that's why I've recommended the Road Atlas as well.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're going to try to get to Assateque in May. I really want to hit Prince Edward island this summer, maybe July or August. Stayed home this winter and sold the house and bought a condo, so the Sahara is in storage. I'll need to replace the house batteries before I do any serious boondocking.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crowe wrote:
Toll roads, low tunnels and trusses, lack of boondocking, not being permitted to drive on some roads like parkways ETC. We are accustom to RVing in the West and South it will just be a learning process.

Get a copy of the Trucker's Road Atlas or a similar book/smart phone app. The low bridges/trusses are only on back roads-the major highways are fine. CT & NY do have parkway restrictions but a good GPS app will help you avoid them. As far as I know the only major road restriction in MA is in Boston on Rt. 93, which you'd want to avoid anyway. Can't help with boondocking as it's something I never did but I'm sure there are others who can help you.
This can get confusing if you are not familiar with the area. For example RT 15 or the Merritt parkway which parallels I95 through CT says no commercial vehicles in large letters (most RV's cant fit through the tunnels) in smaller print it lists other vehicles over 7500 lbs are prohibited from the parkway. These smaller print signs are hare to read when traveling in unfamiliar roads at hwy speeds.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully buying a small Class C! I miss our old one - it just was so perfect for spontaneous trips!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Toll roads, low tunnels and trusses, lack of boondocking, not being permitted to drive on some roads like parkways ETC. We are accustom to RVing in the West and South it will just be a learning process.

Get a copy of the Trucker's Road Atlas or a similar book/smart phone app. The low bridges/trusses are only on back roads-the major highways are fine. CT & NY do have parkway restrictions but a good GPS app will help you avoid them. As far as I know the only major road restriction in MA is in Boston on Rt. 93, which you'd want to avoid anyway. Can't help with boondocking as it's something I never did but I'm sure there are others who can help you.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The toll roads are a nuisance but beat trying to save a few $ by avoiding them. Been all over the NE & never had a problem with low tunnels & trusses. The parkways, mostly around the greater NYC area, are not difficult to avoid. Other than height restrictions & no commercial traffic, a good thing, you may be able to use them provided you fit. I'd check that one. I know at >12'6" I am well over height.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe wrote:
Two weeks in Norway (yes, Scandinavia) in August. Not having a camper allows us to do more extensive traveling but no where near as often. Miss the lifestyle but not dealing with the headaches.

July, August and September touring the upper East Coast from Blue Ridge Parkway to upper Maine. Little nervous due to all the horror stories I have heard.

Don't want to hi-jack the thread, but what horror stories? Roads? Weather? Maybe some of us can help put your mind at ease (maybe in another thread?).

2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains