cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starcraft, less than 12hrs old and already issues

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the tittle says it all. Picked up our new star craft travel star 239tbs at 2pm and here it is 9pm and I got a list of issues going already. The biggest is the largest window blind fell clean off the window somewhere between the dealer and home. A peice of the skirting flaps in the wind, which a little movement is understandable, but this piece moves so much there is no doubt in my mind it won't last long. Also were part of the couch frame mounts to the wall it is pulling out. Along with those few things there are some minor things such as loose screws and another blind being installed incorrectly. First thing in the AM I will contact the dealer and see what they have to say. Also, and this just seems odd, to switch from the radios indoor speakers to outdoor speakers you need to use the fade control. Anyone else have a system like that? I've only ever seen ones that have a speaker switch, like A,B,C, or something similar, that's not really any issue, just a curiosity question.

Sorry to whine and complain but I just needed to vent, it's a little disheartening spending $20k+ and having Sh!tty craftsmanship like this... The wife is also not very happy with these issues either. Hopefully this isn't an outlook on what to expect.
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)
33 REPLIES 33

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
There are often wire anchors on the backside of the skirting that connect to underside of trailer. We had one fall off and cause flappy skirting, easy fix.

certified106
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely take it back to them and have them resolve everything to your satisfaction. That being said if it was just a screw in a blind I would be inclined to put a screw in it and then take it camping for a weekend and note anything else that you would like resolved. When you spend a weekend in them using all the features you may find some new issues.

Another trick I have found is to make a list in Microsoft word and bullet every item that you want checked or fixed. I even attach photos of the things in question so that the service techs can go right down the list and check the items off. The service techs I deal with appreciate the list as they work on a lot of different rigs and it is easy to forget something.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Hypertech Tuner Running Stage 2
2013 Jayco 28BHS

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be more and more acceptance of RV manufacturers doing less than adequate work these days. I'll admit that I'm old and perhaps we had a different work ethic when I was working than folks have today ,but, I think we as part of the population are becoming more and more resigned to get junk when we buy things.

I think that instead of preaching to the choir, we should be contacting the only agency that is supposed to be setting the standards, RVIA. I am a dreamer and I know it may not do any good but maybe it would. RVIA has no authority but they might take an interest if enough of these situations are brought to their attention.

I have been having engine performance problems with my rig for several years, I have been to State approve ASE mechanics and all failed to find and fix the problem. I intend to notify the ASE licensing agency and file a formal but non-financial complaint with them. That is assuming my new mechanic who ran a extensive and expensive diagnostic program before recommending any repairs has it right and can fix my problems. If he does, I will include his shop in my complaint as an example of a professional shop that deserves the ASE label.

Sorry about be so long winded but as the news anchor in the movie Network said, I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, I do understand that I can go out there and fix most of these issues myself. Most likely I will do just that. Although the loose skirting will take a little planning to reinforce it properly. The reason i was upset is because of the lack of quality control, from what I've read and what everyone has said most new Rv's, TT's, etc, come off the line and need immediate repairs. IMHO these manufactures need to step up their game a bit.
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those things you mentioned are not surmountable. Now if a tank won't drain or a wheel fell off I would be concerned. I learned that most of the things you mentioned are easily fixed myself. Not worth the time and money driving back and forth.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
If OP had paid 20000 + for a car and it was falling apart the first day would there be more sympathy and outrage? Yes. Would we be recommending they fix it themselves? I would take it back to the dealer, make them deal with it, and ask for the " dealer prep " charges back.

Can't understand why the manufacturers get by with this c__p. Same with mobile homes, which as a contractor I am more familiar with. No quality control.

Been thinking of buying a new / newer TT and this makes me want to keep my 2007 which is apparently in better shape than new ones on the lot!!

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 06 Starcraft Hybrid, continually fixed things from the get go. I believe that one should have or develop some handyman skills when one gets into trailer camping, doing it yourself will save much time and stress.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

uglybear11
Explorer
Explorer
how dare we continue to excuse the poor quality anf poor engineering involved in the majority of campers being built? rv companies do it as they can - cut corners and use inferior materials. i can rmember when cars were made teh same way. then toyoto believed that a car should come to owner without issues and it did. then when the competition could do it the us auto makers decided to follow suit. a car use to last 100,000 miles at best. changes came remember ford changed its ads to say quality is job 1........... jeeze the rv manufacturers and dealers will only change when we demand it. wake up and demand it.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
If it's only a few loose screws, I'd suggest you fix it yourself. Yes, it's covered by the warranty and you shouldn't have to do it but if you're going to bring the rig back every time a screw comes loose, the dealer will have the RV more time than you will. It's a thing about RV'ing, learn to do some repairs on your own.

I completely agree and you will be doing these sorts of minor repairs the entire time you own the RV so why not just start now doing them and avoid the hassle of taking it back to the dealer for every minor thing.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the forum..

This is 100% expected too...

I had a 1995 Travel trailer that I bought in 2009... I was fixing assembly issues until the week before I sold it.

I suggest getting use to a screw driver and a dedicated set of sockets... Otherwise you are going to go CrAzY driving back and forth to the dealer for little things like this....

Oh, I suggest getting about 2 packs of extra interior light bulbs, open the fuse box and see what kind of fuses you have.. throw a pack of those in the drawer too. Heck.. I carried an extra manual tongue jack, bottle jack, and jack stand in my TT.... Makes changing a TT tire on the side of the road easier....

RV = Rolling Earthquake built out of sticks, staples, screws, steel, tin/fiberglass... Built FAST and with a mind on not stopping the assembly line.

I'm really sorry you had issues right out of the gate... it's going to happen. Screws are going to back out, moldings are going to pop off. Slides are going to come out of adjustment... Tires are going to wear out faster than your Trucks...

But... IMHO... Its ALL worth it..

Thanks and good luck!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Tlauden wrote:
Well, the tittle says it all. Picked up our new star craft travel star 239tbs at 2pm and here it is 9pm and I got a list of issues going already. The biggest is the largest window blind fell clean off the window somewhere between the dealer and home. A peice of the skirting flaps in the wind, which a little movement is understandable, but this piece moves so much there is no doubt in my mind it won't last long. Also were part of the couch frame mounts to the wall it is pulling out. Along with those few things there are some minor things such as loose screws and another blind being installed incorrectly. First thing in the AM I will contact the dealer and see what they have to say. Also, and this just seems odd, to switch from the radios indoor speakers to outdoor speakers you need to use the fade control. Anyone else have a system like that? I've only ever seen ones that have a speaker switch, like A,B,C, or something similar, that's not really any issue, just a curiosity question.

Sorry to whine and complain but I just needed to vent, it's a little disheartening spending $20k+ and having Sh!tty craftsmanship like this... The wife is also not very happy with these issues either. Hopefully this isn't an outlook on what to expect.

Warranty should cover everything.

Understand your concern but things happen with all units.

All the best.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those are more or less fit and finish issues, and are unfortunately consistent with what I have been seeing in "ultra-lite" towables at RV shows and factory showrooms the past two years. This has been a disappointment, because I've been out of the market for a while, and I had not been seeing this much of finish problem in 2004 - 2006, before the RV market collapsed. Now that I am thinking about something new to meet a changing need, I'm finding things that look to my like junk.

8-10 years ago, you could see a difference between lightweight and standard weight towable RVs, but then it was more a matter of flimsiness rather than assembly quality. For fit and finish, I was seeing differences between budget models and standard models from the same manufacturer, rather than a correlation with weight targets. There were a some really well made, premium priced lightweights on the market up to 2006, but people didn't buy them and those companies are gone.

There are still supposed to be some well-made lightweights out there. People rave about how happy they are with Lance. I don't get to see that product where I live, so I can't inspect them and judge for myself. I know of some molded trailers that are well made, but those are relatively expensive and come in sizes smaller than what most families want.

If you are looking for something constructed to be extremely lightweight, yet sturdy, finding it is going to be a struggle, particularly without paying premium prices. More often today, a premium price brings more features and glitz, rather than better construction quality.

Hearing of pieces falling off a lightweight suggests to me than someone failed to install the backing plates in the walls before lamination, the plates got put in the wrong place, the installer missed the plates when driving screws, or maybe the backers are simply not heavy enough. These things are all critical in laminated wall construction, particularly lightweights, since fasteners do not hold in luan or plastic foam. I know one manufacturer in early 2000s that was having trouble with assemblers missing the backing plates, screwing into nothing, but they got those assembly problems worked out, upgraded some of the engineering, and eventually re-positioned an entry level lightweight as a standard to premium model.

Where you are now in the scheme of things, you've been put into the position of product tester, and the dealer will have to remanufacture the stuff the guys at the factory did not make time to do right. I'm sort of surprised the blind didn't fall off on the 500 mile trip from factory to dealer rather than your shorter trip home. Maybe this model was small enough to transport on a flatbed, rather than being towed.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
The sad state of American quality. Just look at all the automobile recalls lately.
Why are posters saying this is OK. It's not.
As long as we have low expectations about quality and value, manufactures will continue to deliver******and we'll happily accept it.
Why. :h

Was the money you gave the dealer as defective as the rig they gave you???
๐Ÿ™‚

therink
Explorer
Explorer
First off, sorry to hear about your problems. Secondly, take a deep breath. It sounds like all of the things you mentioned can be easily fixed.
I have owned seven rvs and not one didn't have problems right out of the factory. It is the nature of the beast, some brands worse than others.
I too learned the hard way to do a thorough PDI myself and go through every square inch of the rig before I sign the papers.
With my current rig, I found about 12 items that needed repairing before I would sign the papers and drive away. Most had to do with loose screws, poor for and finish and as bad as a leakimg back flush valve on the tank flusher.
I had them fix every item to my satisfaction before I drove away with it. Again, I had to learn the hard way as I have been in your shoes.
Rvs as a general rule are built poorly, no matter what brand. They build one in a day or two and it is all about spitting out units.
The manufacturers depend on the dealers to fix these items and do provide dealers with a per unit prep allowance. Most dealers pocket the money banking on buyers bringing them back so they can be reimbursed for warranty work.
It wasn't until I learned this dirty side of the business that I became so attentive to what I was buying.
Just make a list of things wrong and wait until you spends a few nights in it as you may find more items. Once you feel you have found the issues, schedule an appointment and plan on leaving the rig for a while. The dealer will have to get approval from the manufacturer before doing warranty work.
Keep your chin up. It will get better.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If it's only a few loose screws, I'd suggest you fix it yourself. Yes, it's covered by the warranty and you shouldn't have to do it but if you're going to bring the rig back every time a screw comes loose, the dealer will have the RV more time than you will. It's a thing about RV'ing, learn to do some repairs on your own.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton