cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storage compartment keys

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
All the RV compartment doors on my Tiger are keyed alike. Storage, electrical hookup, gasoline, and generator doors all take the same key. One of the originals had broken, leaving me with one. If I don't get some made right now, I'm sure to lose the one original. Just the way the world works.

So I took that to the nearby Home Depot without much hope. Right, they don't carry that blank. My "Where?" was met with a shrug, but also a weak "Ace Hardware, maybe?"

OK, I could combine that with lunch at my favorite hot dog stand. I went by, they had the blanks, and cut them for a few dollars each. I took them home and tried them. Yep, a perfect fit. And the hot dogs right down the road were, as always, really good.

Jim, "Scientists have discovered The missing link that connects apes to intelligent life. It's human beings!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')
10 REPLIES 10

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
The CH 751 keys will also fit the rental golf carts at Disney World. It is indeed the universal key. Here is the same key sold by Amazon to fit time card machines. Suspect you can buy locally cheaper. Wal Mart may have them in their RV supplies section of the store. Local dealers should have in their store or parts dept.
http://www.amazon.com/REPLACEMENT-PYRAMID-4000-4000HD-CLOCK/dp/B00BM9J1CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=139...
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with a three-digit combo lock. Figured if in storage others will be easier than mine....who knows.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The amateurs are the ones with the biiig screwdrivers/prybars. The pros know they only need a medium sized one. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went to Home depot and after pawing through the racks found four replacement locks keyed alike. They were easy to swap out from the old #751 locks and at $5 a piece it didn't break the bank. I put them on the two storage bays, the battery and generator compartments. I know just about anyone can break in, I was only making it easier for the amateurs to steal from someone else. :R

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use the master key: a medium sized screwdriver, prybar. ๐Ÿ™‚ Doesn't take much to pop the door on those compartments.

And the nice thing is there's always lots of spares around at the campground if you forget your key sometime. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
wingsfan20 wrote:
I replace all locks with locks with different series key.

How am I gonna check what your carrying around now?
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
I would not worry too much about it. Everybody's storage compartment key fits yours if it is the infamous 751 key.

Yup. They fit my shed too. You can also buy the key on-line.

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
I replace all locks with locks with different series key.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Every RV dealer I've ever visited has lots of CH751 keys for sale.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I would not worry too much about it. Everybody's storage compartment key fits yours if it is the infamous 751 key.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel