cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage on driveway

PierreBois
Explorer
Explorer
We are changing things up a bit this winter in that we are planning on heading south after New Years. I have always stored my trailer on grass with a tarp between the ground and the tires. This year i am parking on my driveway for the time before we leave. My driveway is asphalt. I was once told that the rig shouldn't be stored on a concrete pad for any length of time, and now I wonder if the same holds true for asphalt. Thanks for any advice
2017 319RLS OR 5th wheel
2017 Ram 1500

We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
— Pico Iyer
45 REPLIES 45

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truck, taxi cab, rental car, bus, car dealers, airplane and RV parking lots are all make of dirt, gravel, cement, or pavement - how many of them do you see using something under their tires................

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, on page 7 of the Michelin RV Tire guide, under "Long Term Storage", they say "Place a barrier between the tire and the storage surface. Suitable barriers include plastic, plywood, cardboard, or rubber floor mats. "

Michelin RV Tires

Of course, then the question becomes: Do we consider a couple of months to be "Long Term Storage"?

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in big trouble! I have about a foot of white stuff around my MH tires.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
enblethen wrote:
I would suggest keeping an eye on the tires. If you see any white material around the ground level, protect the tire in some way. Even the spray tire coatings will be enough.

What sort of white material are you talking about?

This morning the ground etc. around my house was covered everywhere in a few inches of white material that appeared overnight.

Under my previous TT, white stuff began to form under the tires. I was kind of disappointed, because we had the driveway resurfaced and it wouldn't wash down. To this day, the spot where the camper sat still has a light spot. I suppose that's what happens when you wash the roof of your camper with RV rubber roof cleaner!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
I would suggest keeping an eye on the tires. If you see any white material around the ground level, protect the tire in some way. Even the spray tire coatings will be enough.

:R

I currently have 1/8" of clear slippery stuff and 3" of "white" stuff (ice and snow) all around my trailer tires.. Not gonna hurt them..

I even have the passenger side of my trailer facing south (gets a LOT of summer and winter sun exposure) and have never had tire damage on said side..

My trailer even gets lots of PA road salt spray on the drivers side since my trailer parking is just off of a very busy traveled road and no tire damage on that side..

No need to slather on WATER BASED "fixes" that simply wash off with the next rain, you are just flushing your money down the drain..

Perhaps you can come up with another RV.net "tall tail"?

Next I suppose you will tell us that parking a RV on pavement will cause a cataclysmic micro climate change that causes catastrophic damage to tires :S

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
enblethen wrote:

Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:

What sort of white material are you talking about?

This morning the ground etc. around my house was covered everywhere in a few inches of white material that appeared overnight.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Here we go again. Rv'ers making RVing more complicated than it needs to be.

As many others above have correctly posted...park it and relax.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Concrete has chemicals (calcium) when water (rain) splashes it on to the tires, chemical reaction can damage tires.
No problemm sitting on asphalt.
Simply not true. My truck sits on my concrete drive everyday. My cars sit on my concrete garage floor everyday. Sorry but there is no truth to this at all.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Asphalt, concrete, wood, all will be fine for extended parking. I would not store with tires on grass/dirt for extended periods.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
enblethen wrote:
Concrete has chemicals (calcium) when water (rain) splashes it on to the tires, chemical reaction can damage tires.

Lol. Now I’ve heard it all!
Actually, you’re partially correct. If you parked IN freshly placed concrete before it set up, and it rained then the fresh concrete could splash onto your tires.

As for the OP, park it on your driveway. This isn’t even a question. What do you drive and park the trailer on when your using it?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if sitting on asphalt is a bad thing, then I suppose I'm in trouble. My pop-up, all 3 of my previous travel trailers and now my 5er sits on asphalt at home. They've been sitting on asphalt for some 25 years now. The only difference right now? I use a board under one side of the tires to make it level now. We had the drive way resurfaced this last Summer and they put a 6 inch slope (25 feet wide) so water would run off opposite side of the house when it rains. The board keeps the trailer level.

But, if you are concerned about your trailer tires dimpling the asphalt, then just put a long board under the tires on each side and you'll be just fine!

Does asphalt or concrete hurt your auto tires? Just asking?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:

Old "wives tales".

If concrete is going to "hurt" RV tires then I WOULD expect "asphalt" to totally MELT down the RV tires since the base of asphalt AND the rubber compounds is "hydrocarbons" or crude OIL fractions.. And we ALL know that oils do break down rubber compounds..

Besides, perhaps you could explain to me why everyone who owns a home with a garage that has a UNPAINTED CONCRETE FLOOR and never experience "damaged" vehicle tires from sitting on concrete?

In fact, I have an antique vehicle which had 50+ yr old tires on it when I got it, they were not damaged sitting on concrete or asphalt that they sat on all the years it was garaged in an unheated out building.. No, those tires were just plain tired from old age and the cotton cords used inside were rotted from time.

OP, you will not have any issues with your RV tires sitting on asphalt, concrete, wood, grass, dirt, mud, gravel, stone, river rock, pea gravel, flyash, wood ash, coal ash, plastic, ect..

I personally have concrete paver stones under my trailer tires, I did this so I don't have issues with the trailer tires sinking into the ground..

Do be aware, parking any heavy weight items on asphalt for extended times CAN eventually lead to the ASPHALT developing low spots where the heavy object sat.. So, as a precaution, make sure you at least put some wood or something like a paver under your trailer tongue or jacks which ever applies to your rig.. Would hate to see you end up with a hole in your pavement..

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker