cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stupid camping trick.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I finally did it. I made my next uncountable mistake. I moved the TT with the lock & chock installed. Funny thing is. It didn't feel like it was doing anything. Anyway. It fell down, and the rear TT tire ran over it, and the metal corner almost cut into the tire. It did put a scuff, and a raised discolored spot on it. So in the morning, It comes off to be checked, and prolly replaced. It will not go back on as a reg run tire. At best it will be used as a spare, IF it checks out all right. If not, a new tire is in order.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
9 REPLIES 9

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to my world
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, Got the tire off, and it loked worse than I thought, Took it to be checked. There is a cuty, andf a bulge. The bulge is from broken cord, letting air leak into the side wall. It could cause the tire to seperate, SO. There is a new tire on the rim. balanced and everything.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
that is not a trick. I know, I've done it too. so's not to insult you I will not call it any thing other than a trick too. I know how I felt when I did it.

Mr__Black
Explorer
Explorer
Did that a few years ago. All it did was spit it out and set it on the ground for me to easily pick up.

Now that being said, I wouldn't recommend doing this on a routine basis. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Steve

2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 LB, Bone Stock. B&W Turnover / Companion. Airlift Airbags 57291. Leveling Kit. RS9000 Shocks.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
OOPS
See Terry, you don't really need a diesel..You can pull your trailer just fine - even with the chocks in...:B

Yeah, Who needs a diesel. Thing is. It moved so easy. Didn't even try ti stop it. I'm thinking those things don't work so well. So I'm going back to the Lynx Leveler chocks on both sides. You don't just move them. They stop you.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had it been on the footprint, or tread, I wouldn't be so worried. It was in the side wall. It was the semi sharp edge of the chock / jack. Before I rolled it off the chock/ jack. the edge was into the sidewall of the tire enough that it looked like it was cutting it, and it actually put a bulge / knot, in it, and the rubber around the bulge, / knot, and cut looking scuffs is discolored.
As I've had a major blow out before. I'm not real excited about doing it again. So when a semi sharp object goes that deep into the sidewall of my tire. It comes off.

Had it not been on soft ground, the tire would have been cut thru, as it was the other side of the chock was pushed 3 inches into the ground.

BTW It is a home made chock. Made from basically a scissors jack, and it was what would have been the base of the jack, that was pushed into the tire sidewall.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMHO you shouldn't get too excited about the tire going over something at walking speed. It's high speed impact that rips stuff up.

I'd say there's been a hanful of trailer tires a DAY walked over curbs in my fleet for the last 20 years, they still wear out before they blow out.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
OOPS
See Terry, you don't really need a diesel..You can pull your trailer just fine - even with the chocks in...:B
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That's one of the few tricks I haven't done. Yet.
I suspect the tire is OK but let us know what they say.

Scott