cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protectors. Do You Use One?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I've ordered a portable surge protector from Camping World and expect to have it by next Thurs. Amazingly, I've managed to be OK without using one during my entire full time RVing career. I now feel that for the cost of one of these units (about $100+) the peace of mind is worth it.

If you're using one let us know if it has ever "saved your bacon" on occasion.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
49 REPLIES 49

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I use one but only because someone gave it to me. It has never been tripped. I did have an encounter with lightning several years ago that no surge protector would have mattered

Nice gift..:C

For those without benevolent friends -and purchase one- you only need it *once* for it to pay for itself.

Bullet dodger - and "Bulls-eye(s)"

Been many of those over the years.
"Murphy" is watching.......you!..;)

If you're in lightning prone areas - disconnect in advance from pedestal.

As stated, no help from surge protector.

~

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
we use a Progressive Industries SSP50 .... twice last year (once at the Huntington/Firefox KOA and once at a CG in Alabama) when I plugged it into the CG power box, it indicated that the box had a wiring problem .... both times when we notified the office, they sent out a person who confirmed there was a problem and fixed it .... to me it has more than paid for itself

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Yes

yes
Once in Missouri, bad campground wiring job.
second in Michigan, surge in campground. Someone hit a power pole of something.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr. ed wrote:
NanciL wrote:
If you got the $100 dollar one, it is probably the one that does not have automatic reset.
I made that mistake. If you leave the trailer/rv and there is low voltage, it will trip but won't automatically reset. then at the end of a hot day when you return, your Rv will be like an oven.
I gave my $100 one away for free.

Jack L

I had the same question and it so happens that this unit does reset I'm more concerned with surge suppression rather than voltage monitoring and incorrect socket wiring since I always check the pedestal with my DVM before even accepting a site. Additionally, I never leave anything motorized running when I'm away so I'm not as concerned with low voltage. I'm generally comfortable with just a fan since I try to locate in areas where the temps are not too extreme. I do appreciate your input, though.

For those other respondents who mentioned the Progressive brand, I'll check that out.

Those are a lot of assumptions and unless you are monitoring a voltmeter 24/7 it's impossible for you to provide the level of protection that one of the higher prices EMS units provides. The voltage could be great and 2 hrs later drop enough to fry your A/C compressor. As someone said do you carry a fire extenguisher, insurance, spare tire, etc. ... same logic applies to a good EMS system.

If you never leave the A/C on when gone your trailer must be miserable in hot weather:E

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
I don't have one.
I have never had an electrical problem in an RV.

Same here. Never had one since starting fulltiming in 1987. Just dodged the bullet, I guess....

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
I use the 30A Surge Guard. I use the portable model because I don't want to deal with having to bypass a damaged/fried hardwired model. Should my Surge Guard fail I will likely replace it with the EMS-PT30C.

I ordered one similar to yours. I'm also adding the 3 year guarantee for only a few $$ more. Peace of mind if the surge guard becomes an expensive throw away fuse...:B

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am astounded. A while back, say a year, this post would have received many replies that totally questioned the need for any sort of electrical protection. And, in a lot of cases labelled the concept as ludricous. Well, except for a Kill-A-Watt or a digital volt metre, which are in my opinion useless devices in an intended prevention environment. By the time you see the spike or brown you should be just looking for the number for your insurer. One cannot
un-ring a bell.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
If you got the $100 dollar one, it is probably the one that does not have automatic reset.
I made that mistake. If you leave the trailer/rv and there is low voltage, it will trip but won't automatically reset. then at the end of a hot day when you return, your Rv will be like an oven.
I gave my $100 one away for free.

Jack L

I had the same question and it so happens that this unit does reset I'm more concerned with surge suppression rather than voltage monitoring and incorrect socket wiring since I always check the pedestal with my DVM before even accepting a site. Additionally, I never leave anything motorized running when I'm away so I'm not as concerned with low voltage. I'm generally comfortable with just a fan since I try to locate in areas where the temps are not too extreme. I do appreciate your input, though.

For those other respondents who mentioned the Progressive brand, I'll check that out.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the portable 100 dollar units. I never had one before but, on this TT I decided it couldn't hurt. I'm just a weekend camper with a older TT and the cost of a more expensive one would not be worth it. We rarely ever have electrical problems around here and I never go more then 75 miles from home. Or, and I don't have a spare tire.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
I've ordered a portable surge protector from Camping World and expect to have it by next Thurs. Amazingly, I've managed to be OK without using one during my entire full time RVing career. I now feel that for the cost of one of these units (about $100+) the peace of mind is worth it.

If you're using one let us know if it has ever "saved your bacon" on occasion.
make sure you have one that runs in the neighborhood of $250+ mine has tripped several times I always use it.
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Honda Element following us :W
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
:C Rallys attended
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Quartzite, Az. '10...but not again:R
Good Sams "The Rally" Redmond Or. '11
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
That is eye-opening. Only the Progressive EMS protects against sags and accidental 220 volt plug-ins.

Looks like my next setup is going to have an EMS-HW30C or an EMS-HW50C.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a comparison of power protectors from rvupgrades.com. The full function power protectors offer better protection than the simpler surge only devices. The Progressive Industries units have better specifications, lower cost, field replaceable parts and they are made in the USA.

I have the EMS-HW50C and the inside remote is a significant usability advantage. It has been installed without cutting any wires so moving it to a newer rig and restoring the wiring was easy. The EMS-HW30C is similar.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Cancel your order...The $100 unit is a waste of money. If you are going to spend the money get an EMS surge protector like the Progressive industries with a lifetime warranty. JMHO

Agree also. Cheap prices will get you cheap products.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
For several years, we did not use a surge protector. We did check the post with one of those lighted power testers before we plugged and we never had a problem. Then one day, we were late getting set up, we couldn't find the tester (because it did not get put back in its proper place) so we just plugged in. Never had a problem before so didn't figure we'd have one this time. Wrong. The 30 amp outlet was incorrectly wired as a 220. Well we kissed the converter, microwave, refrigerator control board, 2 TV's, satellite receiver and a fan goodbye from that little omission. Insurance, minus the deductible, covered the converter, microwave and refrigerator control board because they were "attached" to the RV. The rest of the stuff was on us. Expensive lession. We got the Progressive Industries EMS for that RV. When we traded RV's the first thing we did was install a hardwired PI EMS. Yes it was over $300 but it was still a lot cheaper than replacing all the other electronics. Do what you want, but we will never be without one.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a portable Surge-guard 50 amp unit.

I you just bought a surge protector, sent it back and get a Surge-Guard or a Progressive Ind. unit. It protects you from more than surges.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.