cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tesla towing an Air Stream

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just came across this article. sounds interesting! I guess they know what it is capable of.

Link to the article!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
44 REPLIES 44

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tesla X should make a great tow vehicle, so long as you can find charging stations everywhere you are traveling. Maybe every 100 miles, or as often as 70 miles?

289 mile nominal range is based on performance with light load, mixed driving cycle, and great aerodynamics of the car itself (0.24 CD). A trailer with 60-80 sq ft and CD more like 0.8 to 0.9 is going to triple or quadruple drag on the highway, and at least double the loads for acceleration and grade climbing.

Electric cars are a move in the right direction, charging technology is improving, but they need a great expansion of charging infrastructure. When that is in place, electricity will not be given away free.

The trailer pictured is suspect. It looks like one of the 25-foot floorplans, and even if a basic Flying Cloud the empty weight will be over the listed towing capacity of the Tesla X. A Bambi or a 19-20 foot (single axle) Flying Cloud would be more credible as a tow for a light SUV.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
leeper wrote:
You don't see the problem with an electric car towing a trailer up a mountain road? Have you ever been behind an electric car going up a steep grade? I have, very slow! You don't think there is a difference between a gasoline vehicle and an electric one?
What vehicle? Must be a home built or just a pokey driver. Electric will easily keep up with anything powered by gasoline.

Maybe you are commenting on a vehicle you have never driven? My RAV4 will absolutely roast the front wheels if you put your foot in it.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
leeper wrote:
gbopp wrote:
leeper wrote:
Great just what we need. Now wait for some ding dong to tow it without a driver, auto-pilot.

I'm sure that's what they said at the dawn of the internal combustion engine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Apparently you see a problem with electric vehicles being used as tow vehicles? Could you share it?
I really don't see a difference between gas, diesel or electric. Except for the current limited range of electric vehicles.

Electric and self driving vehicles may be the future of transportation. Or we could go back to horses.

Can you share how you know what was said at the dawn of the combustion engine? You don't see the problem with an electric car towing a trailer up a mountain road? Have you ever been behind an electric car going up a steep grade? I have, very slow! You don't think there is a difference between a gasoline vehicle and an electric one?

Just curious. Why would an electric vehicle be slow going up a grade. What type of vehicle was it. I have driven a bunch of electric vehicles and own one. None have ever been slow on a grade, just the opposite. Curious. What was it.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
LJAZ wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
LJAZ wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
the beginning of the "FUN" of driving coming to an END.

I take that back.. it started with cell phone/computer while driving started it's end.

as "far" as drive system. no real difference.. when they get the recharge in 10 minutes working and available like gas stations.

Heh heh You may want to take a few more electric vehicles for a drive. WAAAY more fun than a gas burner. More power, quieter, nimble. Right now ferrari, lambourghini, Mazerati are trying to figure out how to make their million dollar 2 seat gas burners with 5000 dollar per year maintenance costs compete with a 100,000 American made Tesla with four coffee cup holders and a baby seat. 2.5 seconds zero to sixty and no chance of wheel spin. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Think Porsche 918. Gas engine has 600 hp, add in the electric motors and your at 880 hp and 940 ft-lb torque:E

Sounds like a nice car. Let me know when it can catch a Tesla. And I'll betcha its a lot more bucks.

We took a tesla for a drive last winter. Not in my budget but great car, Great American car Company. Some of the technology ended up in our little puddle jumper but nothing like the Tesla in terms of performance. Still drops many cars off the line though. Way fun.

It'll be waiting at the finish line for the Tesla. Car & Driver test of 0 - 60 was 2.2 seconds. OTOH you could buy 10 Teslas for the price of one Porshe 918.

HOLY Karp. That is a fast car. Can you imagine the G forces/. Hang on to your eyballs. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
LJAZ wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:

I take that back.. it started with cell phone/computer while driving started it's end.

as "far" as drive system. no real difference.. when they get the recharge in 10 minutes working and available like gas stations.

Heh heh You may want to take a few more electric vehicles for a drive. WAAAY more fun than a gas burner. More power, quieter, nimble. Right now ferrari, lambourghini, Mazerati are trying to figure out how to make their million dollar 2 seat gas burners with 5000 dollar per year maintenance costs compete with a 100,000 American made Tesla with four coffee cup holders and a baby seat. 2.5 seconds zero to sixty and no chance of wheel spin. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Think Porsche 918. Gas engine has 600 hp, add in the electric motors and your at 880 hp and 940 ft-lb torque:E

Sounds like a nice car. Let me know when it can catch a Tesla. And I'll betcha its a lot more bucks.

We took a tesla for a drive last winter. Not in my budget but great car, Great American car Company. Some of the technology ended up in our little puddle jumper but nothing like the Tesla in terms of performance. Still drops many cars off the line though. Way fun.

It'll be waiting at the finish line for the Tesla. Car & Driver test of 0 - 60 was 2.2 seconds. OTOH you could buy 10 Teslas for the price of one Porshe 918.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
When ya'll are 85 and the kids say "dad time to give up the keys " you can give em all the finger and get in your self driver and go about your day.

i can't wait
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
leeper wrote:
Great just what we need. Now wait for some ding dong to tow it without a driver, auto-pilot.

I'm sure that's what they said at the dawn of the internal combustion engine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Apparently you see a problem with electric vehicles being used as tow vehicles? Could you share it?
I really don't see a difference between gas, diesel or electric. Except for the current limited range of electric vehicles.

Electric and self driving vehicles may be the future of transportation. Or we could go back to horses.

Can you share how you know what was said at the dawn of the combustion engine? You don't see the problem with an electric car towing a trailer up a mountain road? Have you ever been behind an electric car going up a steep grade? I have, very slow! You don't think there is a difference between a gasoline vehicle and an electric one?

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
tplife wrote:
I have nothing against Coal-Powered automobiles towing RVs, and why not, I have a Prius with a TorkLIft hitch, Reese lighting kit and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. Now don't tell that to my Cali legislators, they like to hire phony pHDs and promote environmental hoaxes to tax us out of our own homes.

Must be where you live. No coal has powered my car. Power produced from coal continues to decrease every year. There is no easy fast fix, but ya gotta start somewhere. ๐Ÿ™‚

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
I have nothing against Coal-Powered automobiles towing RVs, and why not, I have a Prius with a TorkLIft hitch, Reese lighting kit and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. Now don't tell that to my Cali legislators, they like to hire phony pHDs and promote environmental hoaxes to tax us out of our own homes.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
Except for the limited range problem an electric vehicle would make an excellent tow vehicle. Electric motors have excellent low speed torque which is just the thing for moving heavy loads. Just look at freight trains; those locomotives are really a large diesel generator producing electricity for the electric motors at the drive wheels.

without question... 6,000 turbo diesel horsepower engine driving a very large power generator to reversible traction motors....

there were many EARLY cars that were powered by battery only.

90 percent power at 5 rpm....

google battery powered drag racing motorcycle.. super fast.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
LJAZ wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Would get better range with Trailmanor or similar. 200 miles per day and you would have no fuel cost. Superchargers are getting far more common that many routes could cover more miles, still free.

https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
tpi wrote:
... or affordable...

Like all new technology, the first versions are usually VERY expensive. After they've been around a while, they sell for a small fraction of what they use to be.

Remember when the first microwave ovens first came out? They ran one-thousand dollars. Now, you can get one for $35.00.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I always enjoy seeing what technology is capable of whether or not it is something usable or affordable to me.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
John & Angela wrote:
I forget what super car it was but I saw a video of Model X leading in a drag race... 'til the camera panned back to show the Model X was not just winning but also TOWING a like super car on a trailer. OK the gassers are not really dragsters but still amazing for a comfortable family vehicle.