cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

There are so many things I don't understand

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Currently it's the guy who's spent most of a half hour trying to back his fiver into a pull-thru site. There must be a logical explanation - he is human, after all - and we humans are rational beings, aren't we?

Free amusements are sometimes the most fun.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.
50 REPLIES 50

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
That reminds me of a similar question I have always wondered about. Maybe some one here can answer it for me: Why do some people feel the need to make fun of others; and then, just for an extra good measure - post it on an internet forum?

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
When we had a boat we often camped with a great view of the boat ramp. Sunday afternoons and evenings were always full of entertainment.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the camp that makes an offer of help once, then let the people know I am available if they might want me.

I will speak up if it looks like major damage might occur that the driver doesn't know about.

I have found that those who rudely refuse help usually don't know what they are doing -- experienced drivers usually will, at a minimum, politely decline.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Last time I offered a 'extra set of eyes' cause site was 'tight' I got chewed out by lady driver......she had been a bus driver for 20+ years.

SO I pulled up lawn chair on my site for better viewing angle and WATCHED her smash front bumper on a boulder, whack MH tail on a tree and then dent compartment door an another boulder.

I still offer but doesn't take much to turn me into a spectator.
Hate to see what the bus she drove looked liked. I consider myself a decent backer been backing trailers for 40 years. I'm grateful for a spotter if it's a tight area to cover my blind side, Saved me from damaging my rv in Colorado on a boulder.

I guess people sometimes let pride come before common sense.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double post.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Last time I offered a 'extra set of eyes' cause site was 'tight' I got chewed out by lady driver......she had been a bus driver for 20+ years.

SO I pulled up lawn chair on my site for better viewing angle and WATCHED her smash front bumper on a boulder, whack MH tail on a tree and then dent compartment door an another boulder.

Well, "Old Hard-Tack" - you should have asked the lady bus driver if the bus she drove would bend in the middle (articulated?).

IMO - I would have made a second offer after she hit the 1st boulder.
Second refusal, you're on your own.

For my 30 year FS career, a driver was *required* to have a "back up" person on the tailboard.....no matter how talented you were.

BTW - those "lady drivers":
Went on a traffic accident once. Good looking gal had a fall off her M/C. Broke her wrist.

A week or so later she stopped by the station to thank the guys.
Several M/C riders there, and on chatting they found - not only was she polite & smart - she *worked* at a local Harley shop.

Figured she must be the clerk or counter person, and one asked what she did there.

No desk job - she worked in the *shop* because she wanted to learn M/C mechanics, but as the "newbie" she was the person to take the shop "wrecker" to pick up disabled bikes on the road or at owner's homes.

One of the guys jokingly asked if she could/would back his pickup w/boat on a trailer - into a spot for him behind the sta.
(NOT a pull-thru, LOL)

She said sure!
"I've got a Class A CDL with all the endorsements!"..:W

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjf7g wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

As a "lady driver," I have to say that I am offered help quite a lot - mostly backing up a trailer. I can do that just fine, thank you. So many times, it seems as if men are assuming incompetence and most women are quick to say, "I could never do that," feeding in to the assumption of incompetence. I am fortunate in that my Dad was a long haul truck driver and I grew up watching him confidently and competently back up a 53' trailer with what seemed like 3" leeway on each side. The first time I tried to back my new boat in to my shed, I got in a bind and called Dad for help. He was at my house in minutes and taught me everything I need to know about backing up a trailer. I have been fine since then.

What I do need help with and do not hesitate to ask for it is the stuff that requires brute strength. I use physics to my advantage but sometimes that still isn't enough.

I don't know what helpful men can say without sounding corny - "Hey, you look like you know what you're doing but I figure everyone needs help sometime - if you need help while I am around, just holler" . I don't know...heck, I watched a guy with a 3500HD Duramax Dually spend what seemed like an hour trying to back a boat trailer down a ramp I hit the first time...I was hesitant to offer assistance and felt guilty after. I wasn't sure what to say...

The CG sites were back-ins from an off angle short road with trees/boulders one had to negotiate to get in.
THAT is why I offered extra set of eyes, not because 'she was a lady' (which turns out she wasn't with the language that came out drivers window.)
Had NOTHING to do with 'being a lady' as in 'incompetent'
It was a lousy sight that required more then one set of eyeballs watching front swing, tail swing and low obstacles.

If I see a situation that could use an extra set of eyeballs or if driver is having tough time I will offer help.
BUT I will also walk away at first sign of attitude and then
'ENJOY the Free Entertainment'.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

As a "lady driver," I have to say that I am offered help quite a lot - mostly backing up a trailer. I can do that just fine, thank you. So many times, it seems as if men are assuming incompetence and most women are quick to say, "I could never do that," feeding in to the assumption of incompetence. I am fortunate in that my Dad was a long haul truck driver and I grew up watching him confidently and competently back up a 53' trailer with what seemed like 3" leeway on each side. The first time I tried to back my new boat in to my shed, I got in a bind and called Dad for help. He was at my house in minutes and taught me everything I need to know about backing up a trailer. I have been fine since then.

What I do need help with and do not hesitate to ask for it is the stuff that requires brute strength. I use physics to my advantage but sometimes that still isn't enough.

I don't know what helpful men can say without sounding corny - "Hey, you look like you know what you're doing but I figure everyone needs help sometime - if you need help while I am around, just holler" . I don't know...heck, I watched a guy with a 3500HD Duramax Dually spend what seemed like an hour trying to back a boat trailer down a ramp I hit the first time...I was hesitant to offer assistance and felt guilty after. I wasn't sure what to say...
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
An offer is good.... you find out all about the new surroundings and make new friends. At least the places I go are like that.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it doesn't take make to amuse some people at others peoples misgivings. We all weren't born "experts" at backing up trailers. :R

Nor do we always understand somebody else's reasoning.

My wife is my spotter or I am hers when she is driving. No offense, but I don't necessarily trust a total strangers judgment.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I never turn down a second set of eyeballs helping me back!
I can back myself, because I don't have a choice, but some spotting help is very much appreciated.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Offer to help me back in to a site and I will gladly accept.... I have never seen anyway back into a pull thru, but, I myself have backed out of a pull thru..sometimes easier than trying to swing around a tree or obstacle .

In the beginning years, maybe I had to circle the block to get into the pull thru..heh heh.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I offer help to those that need it. Most of those that need help will accept help.
On the other hand I generally don't need help unless it's dark out.
However I'm not to proud to let someone spot for me. Ultimately I'm in charge and will not let a unknown spotter guide me the wrong way.
Always remember the
GOAL Get Out And Look
I've learned long ago not to laugh at the newbie's. Offer help if they decline let them muddle through it's the only way they will learn.
There are lot's of variables and pitfalls in the RV world. You can quickly find your self the source of someone else's laughter
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
You must have been close to us at Defeated Creek COE a few weeks ago! All us just sat and watched! Even with questions in our minds, we tried hard not to laugh!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.