cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thieves at campsite!

Scotccrn
Explorer
Explorer
Thieves hit our campsite in the middle of the night at Mission Tejas State Parke in East Texas this weekend. They stole a Yeti cooler and 2 campchairs and some beer in the middle of the night. Guess we are going to have to buy some bike locks and lock everything up at night from now on. Anyone have this happen to them? Share your stories. Never had this happen to us camping.
113 REPLIES 113

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
These days with battery powered grinders, thieves can usually get anything they want as long as nobody is around to hear them.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

The_Dung_Beetle
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's unfair to be critical of someone who's upset because they got things copped from their campsite. If it happens to you.. IT'S NOT PLEASANT. We've not had anything taken, but we were warned very early on by a friend who's been an avid traveler/camper for years to lock up our important stuff at night or it might *walk away*. We heeded her warnings and appreciated them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as they say.

Sort of a parallel here - our neighborhood has been a delightful, QUIET, burglary free area for 11+ years. Suddenly, we have been having burglaries very close (just last summer 2 took place on houses next to us). Summer before last - two day time hits during broad daylight just down the road. Absolutely EVERY PERSON WE KNOW who's EVER been burglarized puts in a security system AFTER they've been nailed. Hub and I talked it over, and we got proactive. We put in a security system late last summer. We know the pros can probably get into any home they pick, but we pull away knowing we've done the best we can to protect our place when we are traveling. Same with our campsite. We don't leave things of temptation sitting out. Just takes 5 min to secure camp before taking off for some exploration.
~ It's a fine line between hobby and mental illness ~ Dave Barry

Carl, Felicia, Eva & Pip (the fur kids)

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob Landry wrote:
I think the two most pilfer able items would be batteries and coolers. Cable locks are pretty easy to make up. My battery box gets one tomorrow as well as my propane bottles.

I secure my Eu3000 with a doubled lock: it is a heavy cable threaded through a heavy chain. A thief might have cable cutters...he might have chain cutters...but most likely, he won't have both!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

westend
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
It sure is interesting to see the contrast between the replies on this thread and the replies on the "Campsite/Campground Theft" thread.

Reading through this thread, one would think that occurances of theft are rampant, but go over to the other thread and one would think the complete opposite. I wonder why this is.

Bruce
Misery loves company and nobody likes whining at the dance?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
It sure is interesting to see the contrast between the replies on this thread and the replies on the "Campsite/Campground Theft" thread.

Reading through this thread, one would think that occurances of theft are rampant, but go over to the other thread and one would think the complete opposite. I wonder why this is.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Jean S wrote:
We had two pricey Raleigh bikes taken and a canoe taken in a Seminole FL campsite. Chains were cut to get the bikes. No idea how the thieves got away with it as our campground (which is now a Home Depot) was well lit at night and we had a dog. I can see how they got away with the bikes, but how did they get away with the canoe? We had a bayou finger behind us, but you could not get the canoe thru the mangroves. They would have had to carry it thru the entire park to reach a launch area, but no one saw or heard anything.

Levitation. UFO and aliens.

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
We had two pricey Raleigh bikes taken and a canoe taken in a Seminole FL campsite. Chains were cut to get the bikes. No idea how the thieves got away with it as our campground (which is now a Home Depot) was well lit at night and we had a dog. I can see how they got away with the bikes, but how did they get away with the canoe? We had a bayou finger behind us, but you could not get the canoe thru the mangroves. They would have had to carry it thru the entire park to reach a launch area, but no one saw or heard anything.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
Let's hope so - we all must take some responsibility.

No, I know. I'm not advocating carelessness or irresponsibility. Just wondering what insurance classifies as "secured". As we all know, locks
only exist to keep honest people honest and to delay would-be thieves.
if they really want it, they'll get it one way or another.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
many years back I had some fishing rods stolen out of my boat on Kentucky lake. at that time they did not cover "mysterious disappearances" another good reason to lock it up although some folks here claim that since locks don't do any good, don't bother.
bumpy

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
Wonder if the insurance would cover it?

This got me thinking about my coverage. Apparently I'm good up to $10K for loss or theft of items INSIDE the camper. But I wonder how that claim would play out for say...a stolen generator or a $500-800 cooler or a nice SS BBQ left OUTSIDE the rig? Does it have to be secured with a chain, cable or some kind of fastener to qualify? Does item(s) have to be within a certain proximity to the RV? Just pondering. I think I need to give my insurance a call. LoL
Let's hope so - we all must take some responsibility.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe, we have AAA homeowner's insurance. About 3-4 weeks ago my husband's $2500 mountain had the very thick cable securing it to the tongue of our TT cut during the night while we were in a campground. He filed a police report (police said it was an organized theft ring they were trying to crack) and our homeowners insurance had a check to him 3 days after filing the claim, less the $500 deductible.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if the insurance would cover it?

This got me thinking about my coverage. Apparently I'm good up to $10K for loss or theft of items INSIDE the camper. But I wonder how that claim would play out for say...a stolen generator or a $500-800 cooler or a nice SS BBQ left OUTSIDE the rig? Does it have to be secured with a chain, cable or some kind of fastener to qualify? Does item(s) have to be within a certain proximity to the RV? Just pondering. I think I need to give my insurance a call. LoL
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
You know,,, they used to hang horse thieves. In some countries you can loose a hand for it. How do you think we should keep people from taking things that don't belong to them. There should be a price to pay, but, there isn't.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:

Maybe some people would just like to have a nice cooler. Have you considered that?

Bruce

Sure!

"Some people" would like to (or do) have a nice generator or nice expensive mountain bikes, or?

Worth a bit more than a couple of lawn chairs, huh!

So they take -what should be obvious & simple security measures- to keep it from growing legs..:S