cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TKA miss the RV

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
Had my Knee replaced back in June it has been a very painful journey.
Have had a few surgeries and this has to be the worst.PT is hard to but have to keep it up to gain range of motion back. Its hard to see the MH just siting there waiting on me.
1997 Pursuit class A
10 REPLIES 10

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
As an RN, I have to say that the ability to get off the narcotics is going to vary a LOT from person to person. Likewise they don't make everyone feel stupid; they don't affect me mentally at all. The key is to use them enough to exercise properly, which will make you stronger and reduce the pain so you need them less and less.

I had a hip replacement and shopping for RVs this past week, which of course required me to walk up the steps to get into them, was ... interesting. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I had to collapse and rest for a while in every one we looked at before I could look around. But I *can* get into the one we are buying and wanting to hit the road will be motivation to work harder at steps!
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The 'running' is during play of Pickleball - on the court - running around the court for about 3 hours at a time. I've never been a road runner so couldn't say how far I could run. No pain afterwards.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
2gypsies wrote:
4-5 weeks is definitely the turning point. You'll see big changes. Keep up with the exercises...they're boring and sometimes painful but if you don't do them you won't recover fully.

Don't be afraid to over-extend yourself during exercise. You won't do anything to your replacement. My doctor explained what they do after the surgery while still in the operating room to make sure everything is working properly. They bend that sucker every which way. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Had one done the end of March and was out playing Pickleball the end of May and doing it 4-5x/week right now - lots of running. So there's hope yet. Had another done 3 years ago and still can't kneel comfortably but walking/running is no problem. Plan to use a cushioned knee pad or pads strapped on your knees. Use plastic storage tubs to store things so you can just pull them out without a lot of time on your knees. If you have a chance to use a exercise or even a regular bike as you travel, do so to keep that knee moving.

Had a shoulder replaced also and the knee was much harder. Keep on pluggin'!
How far can you run with the replacements? Any pain afterwards?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
4-5 weeks is definitely the turning point. You'll see big changes. Keep up with the exercises...they're boring and sometimes painful but if you don't do them you won't recover fully.

Don't be afraid to over-extend yourself during exercise. You won't do anything to your replacement. My doctor explained what they do after the surgery while still in the operating room to make sure everything is working properly. They bend that sucker every which way. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Had one done the end of March and was out playing Pickleball the end of May and doing it 4-5x/week right now - lots of running. So there's hope yet. Had another done 3 years ago and still can't kneel comfortably but walking/running is no problem. Plan to use a cushioned knee pad or pads strapped on your knees. Use plastic storage tubs to store things so you can just pull them out without a lot of time on your knees. If you have a chance to use a exercise or even a regular bike as you travel, do so to keep that knee moving.

Had a shoulder replaced also and the knee was much harder. Keep on pluggin'!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
Well working on week four finally settling a little which is good working on easing up on the pain meds. They were suppose to put a line in my groin for pain control did not do it till I was in recovery once they did it I fought pain all the way it just did not work. I will never have one done at loma linda again. I have PT coming to my home 3 days a week for a couple of weeks they go outside for the rest. Doing better now just wanting my life back.
1997 Pursuit class A

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every person is different. Your PT is the most important thing for recovery. Do the exercises as directed. Make it your job. I was the poster child for TKR. I was released from PT and the doctor at seven weeks and was hiking the Superstition Mountains in AZ at 10 weeks. It is now my strong knee. After surgery, my back quit hurting as did my other knee. Didn't realize how I had twisted myself to compensate for the bum knee.

For those looking at TKR don't put it off too long. If you are overweight, loose some pounds. After surgery, go to the gym every day and ride a bike. Elevate, ice and anti inflammatories. Most of all get off the narcotics asap. They will make you stupid, lazy and constipated! I was off everything except ice and Tylenol in three days when I realized the post surgical pain was less than the knee pain before surgery.

TKR is like everything. I seems we hear horror stories and not the vast majority of successes.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Had my left knee replaced 3 years ago. Took 3 months to get back to work. Recovery is NOT an overnight thing. Take one day at a time and don't worry about the RV. It will be there when you're ready.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Not the knee for me but a back injury. Was supposed to be on the road to Alaska by now. Frustrating and painful. I feel for you - hang in there and be patient and time will heal it. Yesterday I could barely move and today I managed to put stuff in my truck and will head out in a few days, come heck or high water. Watch some travel docs to take your mind off it, if possible.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
2 TKR's for me. Much pain at one month, where you are now. On the road in the RV, even easy hikes, at about 10 or 11 weeks each time.

Hang in there!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
I feel for you. I had both replaced (on the same day) a couple of years ago. I did mine in December so I di miss camping season. Boy that 1st walk around the campground felt good! Good luck