cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet clogging up

Lowcountrydupre
Explorer
Explorer
We have a brand new Coachman Chapperal and from camping trip one the toilet will easily clog from someone pooping in it. Even if no paper is flushed it will clog. Before I take it back 70 miles to the dealer to look at it I was hoping for some ideas. Could this be a vent issue? Maybe jetting some water down the vent stack to see if something is clogging it? Thanks for any help.
22 REPLIES 22

HuckFinn410
Explorer
Explorer
We had similar issues when we first got our camper. No matter how much water, and how little waste, it would clog up. We finally took it back to the dealer (under warranty and after several Flush King cleanouts) and they took apart the system. It turns out that there was a slight obstruction in the bend (did not dump straight down). Just enough to catch the smallest piece of paper and block the whole thing up. Glad I didnโ€™t have to do that repair. Toilet has worked flawlessly now for last several years. Using the awning hook to clear nasty toilet blockages got old in a hurry!

It could be a structural issue with the pipes?
Homesick for a place that I've never been

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jferre9570 wrote:
I know of at least one instance where the pipe down into the tank wasn't cut short enough; as liquid built up in the tank, solids could not free-fall into the tank. You should be able to see this condition if your connection is straight down.

This is what I suspect is your problem......
The dump line from toilet to tank is too long and sticks down inside tank very close to bottom of tank. Solids and TP are piling up regardless of amount of water used.
To correct, the dump line will need to be shorted.
Remember , waste tanks are not very deep...they are wide, long but shallow.

And yes RV toilets will 'burp'.
When they get close to being full the liquid can block the vent line. When you flush toilet air has to escape the tank in order for liquids/stuff to enter as it is a gravity operated toilet.
Hence the toilet dump line becomes the vent source and produces a 'burp' sound as you flush.
This should only occur when tank is nearly full. Happens at other levels then vent line is obstructed OR too long.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
After dumping, we put about 5 gallons of water in the black tank. When using the toilet, we have about 5 inches of water in the bowl. After we flush, we keep the flush valve open a few more seconds so more water flows into the tank.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Water, water, and water in the tank and when you flush AND not leaving your black tank valve open when parked at a CG.....you will never have a problem with the black tank.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
Ive had that problem after about 2 weeks in a new unit. Dealer picked it up and found a pyramid. Blew me away,. I used water and happy camper. Decided my poop was extra sticky due to some colon problems years before. My trade in also had the problem. Mine would also burp. Everything was checked and actually happened another time. At that time i was using rv digest. Read on bottle due not freeze. Bought some fresh rv digest, and problems gone.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
Without knowing your normal dumping procedure, I would suspect a poop pyramid. You might want to try one of these.

On edit: If the toilet burps on every flush, even after dumping, the other possibility is that the vent pipe extends too far into the tank.

30 years of RV'ing and I've never heard my toilet or anyone's for that matter burp!!
Yet you read on the forum just about everyday that people have 'toilets that burp all the time' and some 'know when to dump' when it burps? :?

Perhaps you are right that these RV's that 'burp' have a pipe installed wrong! I'd find it real difficult to believe that these manufactures make RV toilet systems that burp!! :B

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Without knowing your normal dumping procedure, I would suspect a poop pyramid. You might want to try one of these.

On edit: If the toilet burps on every flush, even after dumping, the other possibility is that the vent pipe extends too far into the tank.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Broken\malfunctioning flush valve is my guess.

Is it a foot pedal flush toilet...most are these days.
Remember light push on the pedal to fill the bowl a bit.
Full press to flush.

Oops delay what I said,
Read your post above there...

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lowcountrydupree wrote:
Sorry for lack of info. It does not drop straight down into the tank. The drain line has a elbow making a 45 degree turn then runs about a foot and half before dropping into the tank. I am getting a burping like gulp when flushing.

Do you put more water in the bowl before using it? Typically, the system will only put a few ounces so you have to add a lot more water. I always put at least a gallon (about 1/2 full bowl) prior to sitting down. The more water, the better.

Try this and see if it helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen people use commercial-grade wet/dry vacs in their black tanks in order to slurp up poop pyramids. I wonder if this would be a possible solution. However, if it is the plastic disc from a hole saw, then that wouldn't help much, if at all.

Lowcountrydupre
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for lack of info. It does not drop straight down into the tank. The drain line has a elbow making a 45 degree turn then runs about a foot and half before dropping into the tank. I am getting a burping like gulp when flushing.

jferre9570
Explorer
Explorer
I know of at least one instance where the pipe down into the tank wasn't cut short enough; as liquid built up in the tank, solids could not free-fall into the tank. You should be able to see this condition if your connection is straight down.
John & Diane
1996 Beaver Monterey 3403
2005 Honda CRV toad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
beckid wrote:
Sounds like the very same problem we have...our toilet has a pipe that runs sideways at an angle and into the holding tank. I think paper and solids get stuck in that pipe and don't actually make it to the holding tank. I have a clear tube at the end of the sewer hose so I can see whats coming out when dumping, and the last time we dumped after the weekend I saw no paper or other solids coming out - even though we did the black water flush (cha-cha-cha)- so now I'm worried. I put 5 gallons of water down the toilet along with a blue drop-in that helps dissolve, and some boraxo. I hope this solves our problem the next time we head out - maybe it will solve your problem too. I'm taking a yardstick just in case. Seeing as we will be out for 17 days I'm a little concerned.

Your chems and using good TP that breaks down dissolve the TP so when mixed with the sewage you are not going to see sheets of TP flowing thru the pipe.

If you think the paper is sticking from the bowl and pipe up there, you need to FILL the tank up as far as you can with water. Just putting a couple of gallons in isn't going to get the water 'up there'.

Start filling the tank with water and hold down toilet flapper and shine a light down there and fill the water till you see it come to the top THEN dump. Hopefully that will wash away any sticking up there. Good luck!

JoeGood988
Explorer
Explorer
Water, Water, Water...you can never have enough water in the black tank. At home you have a tank that uses a couple of gallons of water to flush...most people use very little water and they end up with more poop than water. There should be 2/3 water and 1/3 waste when you empty the tank...the force of all that water trying to get out of the tank creates a suction that draws out most of the waste...then it's a rinse to get the rest out...after flushing, add about 5 gallons of water with chemical for next filling
2003 3330 Jayco Legacy