cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Paper?

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Is it really necessary to use RV toilet paper or can I just use some good old Scotts septic safe stuff. I hate paying three times as much for crappy toilet paper and it is a hassle when you run out.
Minnesota Viking fan trapped in Wisconsin
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, Ext Cab, 5.3L Z71, 4x4
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV
74 REPLIES 74

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:
Spent some time in Brazil, and everyone there throws their TP in a waste basket next to the toilet. Their septic tanks mostly consisted of round cesspools, with brick laid on edge. No drain field. The wastewater leached out the holes in brick so TP (and other inorganics) would clog the holes and prevent draining. The cities had wastewater treatment facilities, but people still put their TP in trash cans, presumably because of the cultural practices.

My business is in the water and wastewater treatment industry. There is not a working wastewater plant in the USA that cannot handle TP. Baby wipes are a different story. If you are connected to a municipal sewer line, there's no reason you should not be flushing TP.

As for RV's, here's another vote for doing #2 and using regular TP. Sure, you might get a wad that gets hung up in there from time to time, but as long as mostly everything drains out, your OK. Just put some waste treatment stuff in there and get the remnants next time. I don't care about the sensors...you don't have sensors on your septic tank, and just like your holding tank, you'll know when it's full.

Yes, you do have sensors on your septic tank. At least mine does and I believe they all do these days. If your system is working correctly, you will never trip it however.
The pump in my septic tank got hung up last fall and it filled to the point that it set off the alarm which is in the house.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
I will not use the 'el cheapo single ply tp for obvious reasons. We've been using whatever 2 ply is on sale at the time. No clogs, no issues.

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another vote for Costco (Kirkland) TP. We use it all the time in the sticks and bricks and weekend camping. However, when we're spending the winters in Texas we don't have the storage space for those large quantities. We then use the Scott's septic paper and combine it with RV Digest It as a deodorizer/break-down agent. I have a large black tank (62 gal.) and dump it about every two weeks. I monitor the effluent, with one of those clear inserts, when I dump and have noted that I have very few solids in the tank. In particular, the paper has broken down into very small pieces. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
4X4Dodger wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
mikensallyt wrote:
I know that this may sound gross but ..... Place a small trash can in the bathroom. Just roll up the paper and toss it in the can. You can also use those plastic grocery bags to roll it up in. Just remember to empty the trash can.

Really? You might as well sit on a five gallon bucket and dump that into a rest stop toilet while your at it.

Actually outside of NA, Europe and Australia this is exactly how most of the world handles their toilet paper. It's not unusual. Most sewer and water treatment plants wont handle the toilet paper well.
Really? Then how do you explain this?

On edit - looked up TP prices. RV paper is actually cheaper at Wally Mart

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Spent some time in Brazil, and everyone there throws their TP in a waste basket next to the toilet. Their septic tanks mostly consisted of round cesspools, with brick laid on edge. No drain field. The wastewater leached out the holes in brick so TP (and other inorganics) would clog the holes and prevent draining. The cities had wastewater treatment facilities, but people still put their TP in trash cans, presumably because of the cultural practices.

My business is in the water and wastewater treatment industry. There is not a working wastewater plant in the USA that cannot handle TP. Baby wipes are a different story. If you are connected to a municipal sewer line, there's no reason you should not be flushing TP.

As for RV's, here's another vote for doing #2 and using regular TP. Sure, you might get a wad that gets hung up in there from time to time, but as long as mostly everything drains out, your OK. Just put some waste treatment stuff in there and get the remnants next time. I don't care about the sensors...you don't have sensors on your septic tank, and just like your holding tank, you'll know when it's full.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
mikensallyt wrote:
I know that this may sound gross but ..... Place a small trash can in the bathroom. Just roll up the paper and toss it in the can. You can also use those plastic grocery bags to roll it up in. Just remember to empty the trash can.

That's what we always did in the TT. No problem. Just take it out every day with your regular trash.

If you have guests who are not versed in the issue.... they are prone to using wads of TP and little water. Not a pleasant surprise. And a big wad does not break up as well as the few sheets in the jar.

Amazing! - Reads like a bathroom stop for Mexican buses in 1960s Baja.

It *is* a problem!
In most jurisdictions where you will find city, county, state, or Fed campgrounds - your "disposal" method would rate a Hazardous Materials cite for disposal of a Bio-Hazard (Human fecal matter).

Sure would (and did) at both the city & state beaches within the city where I worked.

RV parking in the winter & also public toilets available.

Usually a misdemeanor (not an infraction) - and it ain't cheap!!..:R

If you are "boondocking" in the wilderness - check on approved disposal, bring along your shovel and dig a pit toilet.

If you have ignorant guests that aren't "versed" - - verse 'em!..:S

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Reglur ole stuff.

Another vote for - 'ROS'..:C

Instead of the "RV Stuff" - spend your $$ on sandpaper for your woodworking projects.

Toss some sheets of 100 grit in your RV for emergencies -
it's about the same as the "special" RV variety...;)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
old guy wrote:
mikensallyt wrote:
yes that is gross, it's a holding tank not a septic tank. how do you put up with the smell. I'll use the toilet thank you very much.

Agree! And then I suppose they dispose of it in the trash and landfill instead of it going to a waste treatment plant. Ugh. :E

Yep, right along with all the disposable diapers in the landfill.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I use whatever I use at home
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
To be perfectly honest, when I got my first TT, I didn't use the toilet at all. I had never dumped tanks before and read all the "precautions" one must take (rubber boots, gloves, plastic overalls, hazmat protection, etc.), and figured it wasn't worth it. My decision actually came in handy when, on the way home from a camping trip, I lost the dump pipe and both valves on the highway. All I dumped on the road was some kitchen sink waste water.

When I got the clipper, I had a relative show me how to dump. I still prefer to #2 at the campground facilities whenever convenient, but at 3 a.m., I will do whatever needs to be done. ๐Ÿ™‚

As for acceptable practices, I don't think anything mentioned is not acceptable. For me, I would happily stand over a hole to dispose, but I don't want to do it if I can sit on a toilet. Likewise, if I'm somewhere where toilet paper cannot go down the toilet, then I'll put in a basket; but if I can put it down the toilet, I'm going that way.

I am right there with you toedtows. We didn't use the toilet for anything for the first year of camping. I was intimidated just as you were. Then after using the trailer and getting more familiar with the plumbing in general, I finally decided to give it a go. Still no #2 action going on, but my wife loves the convienience of not having to hit the CG facilities all the time. Many times, I would prefer a bucket or even a freshly dug hole to some of the CG pit toilets.
If it comes down to an emergency and we have to use the toilet for #2, then fine, I won't be scared to do so, but I will be a bit more careful at the dump station than I am now.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
For the past 6 years I have used the cheapest SINGLE ply TP that I can purchase. No problem. I only had problems when the DW wanted to use the ultra soft, multiply, expensive TP. Now it is single ply el-cheap-o
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
tonymull wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
esox07 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Actually, Northern brand does not break down easily. I have a recurring tree root problem with my house pipes and cannot use Northern because it would get caught up and not disintegrate - causing me to have to get the pipes snaked more often (once a year). When I use other brands, I can go over 2 years without needing to have the pipes snaked.

I will be sure to remove all trees from my holding tanks.

My point was that Northern brand does NOT break down like the other brands. Northern is far more likely to get caught up in the valves, etc. than other household brands.

Northern is a Georgia-Pacific product. Their paper products contain non-toxic waste from their other operations. Dixie products, Brawny paper towels, etc, check the package for the parent company. You get a stronger product, but not good for disposal systems and pipes. Anytime you can sell someone your waste products instead of paying to dispose of them corporate America cheers.

Interesting. I hadn't known that. I read that the quilting made it less likely to disintegrate, but didn't put too much belief into that claim.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
dewey02 wrote:
While each person is free to use their RV in any way they see fit (as long as it doesn't impede on others), I am always amazed that some folks don't use the amenities that they've paid for.
  • Some don't use the toilet at all in their RV
  • Some won't do #2 in their RV (because they say it is gross)
  • Others (apparently NOT the ones who are grossed out in the item above) don't throw their toilet paper into the holding tank, but instead keep it in a waste basket next to the toilet
  • Some don't cook in their RV because they don't like the smell. (If it smells that bad, I guess I wouldn't want to eat their cooking either)

We bought our RV to enjoy and have convenience. We use all of these features as they were intended and designed to be used. I especially appreciate the toilet in the middle of a cold night when I wake up at 3 AM and nature calls. I can't imagine putting on clothes and taking a midnight stroll to the nearest vault toilet in the campground.

But to each his own. They bought it they can use it (or not use it) as they see fit. And comments about what other countries do don't seem relevant to me. When I was in college, there were some foreign students that actually stood on the toilet bowl because in their home country, they were accustomed to standing over a hole in the floor to do their business. That doesn't mean that I should want to do that or that I should find it an acceptable practice.

To be perfectly honest, when I got my first TT, I didn't use the toilet at all. I had never dumped tanks before and read all the "precautions" one must take (rubber boots, gloves, plastic overalls, hazmat protection, etc.), and figured it wasn't worth it. My decision actually came in handy when, on the way home from a camping trip, I lost the dump pipe and both valves on the highway. All I dumped on the road was some kitchen sink waste water.

When I got the clipper, I had a relative show me how to dump. I still prefer to #2 at the campground facilities whenever convenient, but at 3 a.m., I will do whatever needs to be done. ๐Ÿ™‚

As for acceptable practices, I don't think anything mentioned is not acceptable. For me, I would happily stand over a hole to dispose, but I don't want to do it if I can sit on a toilet. Likewise, if I'm somewhere where toilet paper cannot go down the toilet, then I'll put in a basket; but if I can put it down the toilet, I'm going that way.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
esox07 wrote:
toedtoes: Yes, I fully understood your post. I was just joking around. ๐Ÿ™‚

I sort of thought that you were, but got scared that you weren't, so figured I'd better clarify. ๐Ÿ™‚

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
While each person is free to use their RV in any way they see fit (as long as it doesn't impede on others), I am always amazed that some folks don't use the amenities that they've paid for.
  • Some don't use the toilet at all in their RV
  • Some won't do #2 in their RV (because they say it is gross)
  • Others (apparently NOT the ones who are grossed out in the item above) don't throw their toilet paper into the holding tank, but instead keep it in a waste basket next to the toilet
  • Some don't cook in their RV because they don't like the smell. (If it smells that bad, I guess I wouldn't want to eat their cooking either)

We bought our RV to enjoy and have convenience. We use all of these features as they were intended and designed to be used. I especially appreciate the toilet in the middle of a cold night when I wake up at 3 AM and nature calls. I can't imagine putting on clothes and taking a midnight stroll to the nearest vault toilet in the campground.

But to each his own. They bought it they can use it (or not use it) as they see fit. And comments about what other countries do don't seem relevant to me. When I was in college, there were some foreign students that actually stood on the toilet bowl because in their home country, they were accustomed to standing over a hole in the floor to do their business. That doesn't mean that I should want to do that or that I should find it an acceptable practice.