cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Paper?

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Is it really necessary to use RV toilet paper or can I just use some good old Scotts septic safe stuff. I hate paying three times as much for crappy toilet paper and it is a hassle when you run out.
Minnesota Viking fan trapped in Wisconsin
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, Ext Cab, 5.3L Z71, 4x4
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV
74 REPLIES 74

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in many countries around the world in the Navy and have never seen any country that did not flush TP down the drain. Your black tank is nothing more than a holding tank. We use Charmin for the last 7 years and have never had a problem draining our black tank.

F450
Explorer
Explorer
How about the guy that lets his diesel idle for a half an hour before he leaves.

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
+1 ^^^^^
After starting this thread and reading all the posts, this sounds like good advice and a good summation of the thread.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess the whole upshot of this entire thread is trying to answer the OP's question about what toilet paper to use. After reading all the comments (strange ones, funny ones, icky ones, and good ones), I think it all boils down to this.

• If you are going to flush your toilet paper, use a brand (several brands mentioned) that dissolves readily in water
  • If you are among the crowd that likes to save their used toilet paper and keep it in a basket next to them in the bathroom, you have the freedom to use ANY toilet paper that you want. You can use baby wipes, industrial strength TP, or even cloth towels. Just wrap it up when you are done and place it in the trash can next to you.

Regardless of which option you choose, You will have "no problems, no flies, no odors, no disease. They promise!" ๐Ÿ˜‰

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
Scott RV septic safe is what we use.

X2....and a further comment...

Our coach has a black tank flush-out hook up and after 2-3 minutes our led panel is back to lowest light (clear). Both black and grey indicators are back to empty.

AND WE DO NOT USE OUR DRINKING WATER HOSE to rinse out the black tank! :B
I carry a separate old lawn hose about 25 ft in case the dump station does not have one.
2003 Safari Sahara 350HP Cummins ISC Allison 6 speed
Model 3753 - Triple Slide
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 toad

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
GaryWT wrote:
...I have been using Scott's for 25 years and never an issue and as for the sensors, rarely look at them anyway.

Never had an issue with tossing it in the trash. Use a WM bag for a liner in a small trash can. Wrap up the TP well in a little more TP. Take it out daily with the other trash. No problems, no flies, no odor, no disease. I promise.

Never had an issue with putting it down the commode. Am sure to use some water and dump it out with the black tank just before the gray water. No problems, no flies, no odor, no disease. I promise.

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
esox07 wrote:
must be regional. I dont have a "grinder" pump station. And no municpal system out here. I have a drain field. I do like the alarm though. I don't have to worry so much about a backup.

Yeah, everything in our neck of the woods is a gravity septic system. Not to say that even some people down here don't have a pump setup, but it wouldn't be the norm.
We have a built-in, no fail alarm on our septic system. When the toilets don't flush and there's some nastiness in the bathtubs, you know you have a problem ๐Ÿ˜‰
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
esox07 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:

Really? You might as well sit on a five gallon bucket and dump that into a rest stop toilet while your at it.

Actually outside of NA, Europe and Australia this is exactly how most of the world handles their toilet paper. It's not unusual. Most sewer and water treatment plants wont handle the toilet paper well.
Really? Then how do you explain this?

On edit - looked up TP prices. RV paper is actually cheaper at Wally Mart

-------------------------------------------------------------------
You can't compare a roll of 1000 ply Scotts to RV paper. I am guessing, but I have a feeling one roll of the scotts would last as long as a 4 pack of the RV stuff.

You better learn how to quote somebody, I said what you are saying Coleman said.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
must be regional. I dont have a "grinder" pump station. And no municpal system out here. I have a drain field. I do like the alarm though. I don't have to worry so much about a backup.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
esox07 wrote:

Yes, you do have sensors on your septic tank. At least mine does and I believe they all do these days. If your system is working correctly, you will never trip it however.
The pump in my septic tank got hung up last fall and it filled to the point that it set off the alarm which is in the house.

Nope, no sensors in my septic tank and never seen one that does have them. No pumps either. Perhaps there is a regional difference between septic systems in the north vs. those in the south...?? Could it be that you're talking about your grinder pump station which has a manhole. These pump the sewage into the municipal line. They do have floats and other sensors that can sound an alarm.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
esox07 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:

Really? You might as well sit on a five gallon bucket and dump that into a rest stop toilet while your at it.

Actually outside of NA, Europe and Australia this is exactly how most of the world handles their toilet paper. It's not unusual. Most sewer and water treatment plants wont handle the toilet paper well.

You can't compare a roll of 1000 ply Scotts to RV paper. I am guessing, but I have a feeling one roll of the scotts would last as long as a 4 pack of the RV stuff.

And anyone with a brain can see that my quote was about this statement:
So it if people in Europe - London is in Europe, right? used a bucket next to the toilet to discard the stuff they wipe their behinds with, there would be no big ball of wipes glued together with grease. Get it?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
An American RV is light years ahead of any sewer system in London.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
mikensallyt wrote:
I know that this may sound gross but ..... Place a small trash can in the bathroom. Just roll up the paper and toss it in the can. You can also use those plastic grocery bags to roll it up in. Just remember to empty the trash can.

This has nothing to do with TP---it has to do with cooking grease and "flushable" wipes. And the article says NEITHER of those should be in the sewer ANYWHERE, which anyone with a brain knows. The article also is about London's sewer system, which is no doubt pretty sophisticated.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

Actually outside of NA, Europe and Australia this is exactly how most of the world handles their toilet paper. It's not unusual. Most sewer and water treatment plants wont handle the toilet paper well.Really? Then how do you explain this?

Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV