cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a Nissan Titan

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, got a slight problem. I bought a used 2012 Nissan Titan from a dealership, was under impression that is towing capacity was 9400lbs. After hours of research, I find out my particular model only has a towing capacity of 7400lbs. It's a 2012 Nissan Titan crewmax, looked to be a factory trailer setup on it. Anywho, in my case I'm pretty bummed. I have a 6600lb coachmen Catalina, set up with a weight distribution hitch. What are yalls thoughts? Am I still good to go? Thanks in advance
26 REPLIES 26

APT
Explorer
Explorer
As Equipped payload is listed on this sticker on driver's door or door jam on every 2006+ passenger vehicle. Your is probably in the 1500 pound range. Note what it lists where mine is 2051:

3.36 is the optional/towing package gear for the Titan. You should upgrade the trans cooler.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
On one side of the coin, that's a fair amount of trailer for a half ton, but on the flip side , none of the weight cops on here would be saying anything if it was a beloved max tow max whatever Eco Boost ford.
Bottom line, it's a very capable half ton truck and 7000lbs is not out of line for any newer half ton in good shape. If you have the higher geared rear end, it won't be as fast as lower rear gears. Maybe have to drop a gear sooner, or pull a hill a little slower.
However, what the masses here seem to forget is that for a particular model truck, the chassis' are basically the same. Same frame, front end, rear end strength, brakes, etc.

You may want to upgrade a couple things depending on how hard or far you're pulling, like a transmission cooler if it doesn't have an external cooler, or maybe the rear suspension. But at that, you have a wd hitch so suspension shouldn't be a problem.

Hooker up and go!

If it was an Eco Boost Ford max tow whatever.........
Payload rating, RAWR and rear tire load ratings matter just as much regardless.....150/1500, 250/2500, 350/3500

Simple math.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
On one side of the coin, that's a fair amount of trailer for a half ton, but on the flip side , none of the weight cops on here would be saying anything if it was a beloved max tow max whatever Eco Boost ford.
Bottom line, it's a very capable half ton truck and 7000lbs is not out of line for any newer half ton in good shape. If you have the higher geared rear end, it won't be as fast as lower rear gears. Maybe have to drop a gear sooner, or pull a hill a little slower.
However, what the masses here seem to forget is that for a particular model truck, the chassis' are basically the same. Same frame, front end, rear end strength, brakes, etc.

You may want to upgrade a couple things depending on how hard or far you're pulling, like a transmission cooler if it doesn't have an external cooler, or maybe the rear suspension. But at that, you have a wd hitch so suspension shouldn't be a problem.

Hooker up and go!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DRKMinWA
Explorer
Explorer
The Titan SL may have the 3.36 gears. My 2013 SL does. If the rear end is 3.36 then the tow rating is 9,300. The easy way to tell if you have the 3.36 gears is to get on the freeway and at 70 MPH you should be running about 2100 RPM. If you are around 1700 RPM then you have the 2.94 rear end the lower tow rating of 7,400.
Rick & Kathy
2014 Econ 16RB
2013 Nissan Titan Crew Cab

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
buffaloKev wrote:
Thanks for the info. Payload capacity is 2063lbs. Still seeing info online that the towing capacity for my model, 2012 Nissan Titan SL crew cab, is 9300 lbs. is there anyway to find out for sure what the capacity is? Can I call Nissan and give them VIN?

Max Tow rating Crew Cab SL....7400#

Course that is a magical marketing number using base trim model with 150# driver and 20# cargo......
You will run out of PAYLOAD long before you reach that Max Tow number

2063# Payload IS that off the Tire/Load Information sticker on your truck?????
Subtract your weight above 150#, then your wifes weight and the kids weight then any stuff in cab, stuff in bed, hitch.
How much of that PAYLOAD is left over for tongue weight???

12% of 60000# ----720# (got enough for that ADDED weight?)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
jakebank wrote:
You need to find out if you have the "big tow " package. That will have the tow mirrors, transmission temperature gauge, and 3.31 gears. That's the difference in tow capacity. See if you can get a build sheet.
3.31 gears?? That sounds a bit tall..

edit: found a brochure for 2012 that mentions 3.36 as the 'lower gear ratio'. Guess the auto-trans has some low gearing.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

jakebank
Explorer
Explorer
You need to find out if you have the "big tow " package. That will have the tow mirrors, transmission temperature gauge, and 3.31 gears. That's the difference in tow capacity. See if you can get a build sheet.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a yellow sticker on the drivers door, likely near the latch that lists your specific vehicle payload..maybe you already found that.

You can find all of the various combinations and tow ratings in TrailerLife 2012 towing guide

You can likely request a build sheet from Nissan, that should list all of the details you need to find the correct "tow limit"
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Payload capacity is 2063lbs. Still seeing info online that the towing capacity for my model, 2012 Nissan Titan SL crew cab, is 9300 lbs. is there anyway to find out for sure what the capacity is? Can I call Nissan and give them VIN?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
buffaloKev wrote:
I'll have to check on that payload rating. Wife and 2 small children, we are light packers when it comes to towing. We don't usually fill fresh water tanks etc. We have clothes, towels, chairs, small bikes for the kids. I'm sure there will come a day when we take a week long trip but right now it's mostly weekend trips. 6600lb is the weight on sticker on trailer

Then NO!. That tells me you only have 800lbs of towing capacity for the truck. figure you and the wife 300lbs, leaves you 500lbs of towing capacity, and then a 50lb WDH leaves 450lb. Then take off the bike weight, and the child weight.
You need more truck, or less trailer.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to check on that payload rating. Wife and 2 small children, we are light packers when it comes to towing. We don't usually fill fresh water tanks etc. We have clothes, towels, chairs, small bikes for the kids. I'm sure there will come a day when we take a week long trip but right now it's mostly weekend trips. 6600lb is the weight on sticker on trailer

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Is it 6600lbs loaded up or dry weight? What else (passengers and cargo) do you plan on carrying in the truck. What the trucks payload rating? ( see door sticker)

It's not just about tow rating. Trucks today have plenty of power to pull. What a hey lack is payload and the components to "carry" the extra weight.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley