cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing without a W/D, 7K trailer, Ram CTD 3/4 ton

Bheffington
Explorer
Explorer
Im moving about 350 miles next week. I need to drop the front of my trailer about 2 inches but have ran out of room on my drop hitch. No where near me has a WDH drop long enough. But I can get a standard 8 inch drop locally. This will make my trailer level but Im concerned about not having the WDH. Do I really need it, pulling a bumper pull 7K pound trailer with a 3/4 truck?
14 REPLIES 14

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wheelholder wrote:
I have an 08 3/4 ton chevy (2500 HD ) and my factory hitch is a class V rated for 1000# tongue weight. Not sure if mine is unusual or not for the weight rating.

The OEM hitch I took off my 2002 Chevy 3500 was only rated for 750# tongue weight! It needed a WD hitch for any more than that, and then it was only rated for 1250#.

On a truck with a 5100# payload capacity, I found that stupefying.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your profile shows, you are located in MO. The online hitch company, eTrailer, is also located in MO.

Contact eTrailer. They can get you the needed parts, very quickly.

I live in northern Illinois, ordered a hitch from etrailer, on a Monday morning, and received it Tuesday afternoon.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
hmknightnc wrote:
8" drop hitch to get level with a TT on 3/4 truck??? I have a dodge dually (factory standard taller than your 3/4 ton) and only need about 3" of drop to be level with a TT using torsion axles (read low ground clearance)

You got to have at least a 4" lift on that truck. Bad idea to be doing serious towing with that anyway but really bad idea to do without all the help you can get. If the truck wasn't lifted then 7k# TT properly balanced wouldn't need WDH with a Dodge 3/4 (used to do it all the time with an '04 CTD 2500)

My truck is stock and my TT STILL sits a little high with my 8" WD drop...

To the OP - per the Dodge owners manual WD is 'recommended' for anything over 5k lbs, however you see people towing construction equipment day after day with our trucks without it... Just sayin'... ๐Ÿ˜‰
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 08 3/4 ton chevy (2500 HD ) and my factory hitch is a class V rated for 1000# tongue weight. Not sure if mine is unusual or not for the weight rating.

As stated in the above posts, I would go for the overloaded hitch also. There is a safety factor built in, I would imagine. Nose high is just asking for trouble when towing. Balance the trailer and be careful.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
wintersun wrote:
With the GM 3/4 and 1-ton trucks no weight distributing hitch is needed or advised and they can tow up to 13,000 lbs. with a ball hitch. The frames on these trucks are considerably stronger than with smaller trucks, SUVs, and automobiles.

Check the towing guide from the manufacturer as it should state for your model whether or not a WDH is needed.

That may be true...my Burb has a 12000 lb tow rating and the cover of the brochure shows a giant boat on a triple axle trailer and no WD hitch. The WD hitch has got nothing to do with the tow rating of the truck, it's to keep the rear suspension from sagging under the load of the tongue weight. This helps avoid a floaty steering wheel with no directional stability and headlights that scan the trees for birds at night.

The truck may be rated to tow 13,000 lbs but most factory receivers are rated for 5000 lbs weight carrying only, with 500 lbs of tongue weight. Ditto for an 8" drop ball mount. Chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

However faced with OP's choice of a nose-up trailer or overloaded rear end on the truck, I would probably choose the latter. Neither is ideal and should be avoided if possible. Not sure what the OPs timing is but may be a good idea to order the right equipment from an online store rather than choose between the lesser of 2 evils....

You can get what you need here at eTrailer.com...a whole asortment of 8" drop WD heads.

babies_dadeo
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
With the GM 3/4 and 1-ton trucks no weight distributing hitch is needed or advised and they can tow up to 13,000 lbs. with a ball hitch. The frames on these trucks are considerably stronger than with smaller trucks, SUVs, and automobiles.

Check the towing guide from the manufacturer as it should state for your model whether or not a WDH is needed.

X2 as long as the truck and hitch are rated for it, I would say be a little caution for the first while then go for it

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you hitch is rated for the tongue weight without WDH you should be fine. I regularly tow 12,000 or more on my equipment trailer without WDH. I load it for proper tongue weight and go. My Super Hitch is rated for 1,500 pounds tongue weight without weight distribution.
WDHs were basically invented to let much smaller vehicles tow much larger trailers. A 3/4T truck and a 7k trailer isn't mismatched enough to need one.

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
8" drop hitch to get level with a TT on 3/4 truck??? I have a dodge dually (factory standard taller than your 3/4 ton) and only need about 3" of drop to be level with a TT using torsion axles (read low ground clearance)

You got to have at least a 4" lift on that truck. Bad idea to be doing serious towing with that anyway but really bad idea to do without all the help you can get. If the truck wasn't lifted then 7k# TT properly balanced wouldn't need WDH with a Dodge 3/4 (used to do it all the time with an '04 CTD 2500)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
What will probably be more important for this trip is sway control.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
You'll probably be over the weight rating of the hitch, since you will have around 700 lbs minimum tongue weight. Of the choices, I would go over the weight rating rather than try to tow a trailer with too light a tongue weight.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Bheffington
Explorer
Explorer
Thats a good point. Ill see if I can find a scale near by. Ill also look up the ratings without the WDH. I had a little sway with the WDH and sway control, and I think it is due to the tongue of the trailer being 2 inches high. Ill get it weighed before I head out, and move stuff around to make it right. Thanks for the insight.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Bheffington wrote:
Im moving about 350 miles next week. I need to drop the front of my trailer about 2 inches but have ran out of room on my drop hitch. No where near me has a WDH drop long enough. But I can get a standard 8 inch drop locally. This will make my trailer level but Im concerned about not having the WDH. Do I really need it, pulling a bumper pull 7K pound trailer with a 3/4 truck?

Probably. Make sure the trailer is properly loaded so that there is adequate tongue weight, but don't put anything in there that isn't needed, so as to keep the weight down. If possible, stay on smooth roads, and watch your speed. 60 MPH is likely more than enough.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

closurdo
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the receiver rating on the truck and the actual tongue weight of the camper. Receivers have 2 ratings one without a weight distribution hitch and one with.
2003 Silverado 2500hd Duramax
1998 Sunnybrook 26cks
Equal-i-zer Hitch