cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer axle capacity

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any positive way to identify the capacity of the axles on an old camper? I looked all over the axle tubes and can't find any sort of tags or stampings. They are kind of rusty though so I may have missed them.

They are drop axles and have 6-lug 15" wheels with e-brakes. The leaf springs have 4 leaves each counting the main leaf. The trailer GVWR is about 7600lbs, if I remember correctly. So I'm guessing they are either 3500 or 4000 lb axles. But I'd like to be sure.

Thanks!
Bob E.
9 REPLIES 9

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
My new TT has 3" axles and are rated for 3500lbs each.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob E. wrote:
Is there any positive way to identify the capacity of the axles on an old camper? I looked all over the axle tubes and can't find any sort of tags or stampings. They are kind of rusty though so I may have missed them.

They are drop axles and have 6-lug 15" wheels with e-brakes. The leaf springs have 4 leaves each counting the main leaf. The trailer GVWR is about 7600lbs, if I remember correctly. So I'm guessing they are either 3500 or 4000 lb axles. But I'd like to be sure.

Thanks!
Bob E.
My guess they're. 3,500 lb. axles based on your GVWR. 3,500 + 3,500 plus a "token" hitch weight equals 7,600 lb. GVWR.

If your axles were 4,000 lbs. your GVWR would probably be closer to 8,500 lbs.

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick update...I pulled the tarp back and found the sticker on the corner of the camper. As suspected, it is so faded that it is not legible. While cleaning out the camper, I did find the original paperwork that indicated that it was equipped with Dexter axles, so that gave me a starting point. So I went on Dexter's website and started comparing everything. From what I can tell, based on the 3" diameter tubes, 4" drop spindles, and wheel stud count/diameter, the axles are actually 5200# axles with 4000# springs (2000# each side) based on the "stack height" of the leaves and length. The only thing is that I don't know whether what is in today's Dexter catalog (that I matched everything up to) was the same back in 1989. So I sent Dexter an email last night. Hopefully, they can confirm what I think I have.

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM...That's interesting that the sticker would say GAWR=3500lbs, but the tag on the axle says only 2800lbs.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Is there a metalized tag near the left front corner of the trailer? The axle specs will be there.

That FMVSS tag/label DOES NOT have the actual axle specs and it's numbers are based on not just the axle, but the springs, tires, hubs, etc.

AFAIK all axles have a metal tag affixed to them somewhere that will show the actual axle only specs. It will show the actual axle manufacturer. My 2007 HR trailer axles have two tags one is from Lippert that is a sticker as shown below and includes the total axle

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/12491/media/8306S%20General/Rear%20axle%20tag%202_zps2gljyytd.jpg.html?sort=6&o=13

That actual axle proper is made not by Lippert but by Henschen and it identified by a metal tag welded to the axle as show below. This tag is often extremely hard to find and mine was on the back of the axle at the very edge on the driver's side of the axle. There are very, very few actual axle manufacturers in the U.S.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/12491/media/8306S%20General/Rear%20axle%20tag%203_zpszdlroe5c.jpg.html?sort=6&o=

P.S. Pics not showing up so link is shown below each missing image

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I'll have to look for the tag on the corner of the camper. Hopefully it is there and still legible. I didn't measure, but I'm pretty sure they are 3"diameter tubes. I'll have to crawl under there again and measure. But hopefully they are stronger than 3500#.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there a metalized tag near the left front corner of the trailer? The axle specs will be there.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the tire max load rating?

MFg. use axles that are just enough and 3500# can/do use 6 lug

Measure the axle tube
Typical Axle Diameters Based on Axle Capacity
- 1,000-lb - 2,000-lb Axles: 1-1/2 inch - 1-3/4 inch diameter
- 3,500-lb Axles: 2-3/8 inch diameter
- 5,200-lb - 6,000-lb - 7,200-lb Axles: 3 inch diameter
- 8,000-lb Axles: 3-1/2 inch diameter
- 9,000-lb Axles: 4 inch diameter
- 10,000-lb Or more axles: 5 inch diameter

Positive way....bearing size and number stamped on bearing
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
6 lug axles are usually 5200 lb capacity. 3,500 lb usually have 5 lugs.