cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer tire sealant??

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Considering using this sealant in my trailer tires.
Is this common practice??
https://www.multiseal.us/rv-trailer/

I use sealants in my quad tires. Works great.
Am wondering if it stays plyable and moves thus perhaps working as a balancing use too.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
48 REPLIES 48

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GY “E” more than enough for a 12k rv
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chuck again I say ...I don’t think you checked out my original “link”.

Red rock I appreciate your comments. But I don’t think I suggested that sealant would prevent a “blowout”, other than one that could happen when a tire gets down to say half the pressure it is supposed to have, gets hot and comes apart at 60 mph.

To sum up I would just like to add that sure, that specific product, might be a waste of my time and money and perhaps I might be “conned” into buying it but I also feel I being conned into believeing I’m getting what I pay for in the several brands of “G” rated tires I have gone through.
Having 4000 lb’s plus tire capacity under a 12,000 trailer with perhaps 2000 of that on the truck and having them fail before they are 50% worn ...something is wrong.
The guy who sold me the Hercules tire stated as much.
Happy New Year you all.

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Running tire sealant in garden tractors, ATVs, wheel barrows. Etc is fine... putting this of any kind in RV trailer tires .... naw.. not for me... either my tires hold air or I fix the issue by replacing, tire, wheel, valve stem to correct issue....

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
So, let me preface this with I do not and will not be planning to run any tire sealant in my TT tires. I do not believe tire sealant will prevent a blow out as tire sealant is designed to seal small holes, like a nail/screw that is leaking. A guess here, but trailer tire blow outs seem more caused by a catastrophic tire failure, something tire sealant won't help with.

Having said all of that, the tire sealant the OP has linked is not the same tire sealant most are going on about. Stuff like fix-a-flat and Slime are horrible products and not the same as the newer formulas. The newer formulas use a suspension liquid to carry "large" particles, if you will, via a quick burst of air releasing, where that particle helps plug the leak. That suspension liquid is a lot lighter and easier flowing than fix-a-flat/Slime.

Tire sealant is an extremely common practice now for tubeless tires on mountain bikes that are actually used for MTBing. I have been using it for years with no adverse issues. Yes, my MTB hubs and rims are aluminum. The tire sealant works incredibly well unless you slash a sidewall. And for those saying, but yeah, a flat on a MTB is not the same and is not going to cause a big issue. To you I'd say you are 100% wrong. With the types of trails I ride and the way I ride, I could seriously injure myself or worse from a tire/wheel problem. MTB is a passion for me and to support that comment, my two most ridden MTBs have cost me upwards of $10k US dollars. I ride those a lot.

I have liked my tubeless MTB tires with sealant so much, I have added an ATV recommended tire sealant to my front Yamaha Grizzly ATV tires. Those ATV tires are mounted on aluminum wheels. So far no issues but I've only ran that tire sealant on the ATV for about 1 1/2 years so far. Again, the way and places I ride (CO high country, Moab), I would not want a tire issue on my ATV either. I have not added the sealant to the ATV's rear tires, yet, as the good sealants are not cheap.
I love me some land yachting

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I did not even make it half way thru this thread.

IMHO the OP is predisposed to put the goo in his tires or is just having fun. :h

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ivbinconned wrote:
The Endurance sounds good. However our trailer calls for a “ G “ rated tire. 110 psi.
Not available in a G rating. Should this bother me? Seems that would be going to something lighter!
Or does one only look at weight rating.

GY makes a great “G” rated tire also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Oh man....ivbinconned....highway 16 and cold weather says to me that you live in BC somewhere between Prince George and Smithers....if so, then yeah, you have really been conned!!....put LT tires all round on your trailer and have a nice trip!....I live iin BC and never ever heard " illegal to run LT tires on a trailer"....only problem I ran into was that I could not get LT tires in 15"....if you have 16" or larger then go for it. TPMS and LT tires makes your trailer same as most tow vehicle trucks on the road...how many of them have tires blow out??
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Your trailer must have 7k or 8k axle which the load G tire is needed.
The Hercules brand has been around for years mostly farm and ranch stores...grain elevators...small towns in mt area.
The Hercules H-901 ST load G shows up on the NUWA and other brand specific heavy trailer forums.

The Sailun S637 16" ST tire seems to be the most popular with commercial haulers .....farm and ranch...and fast becoming the go to load G tire in the rv world.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last summer while away north at the lake tire went down in camp site. Went to local shop. He had something similar in a trailer tire. I think I mentioned above that he convinced me to put on a LT tire instead. Stating many trailer manufacturers are going to this tire....

https://simpletire.com/hercules-lt235-85r16-14-85751-tires

So I did. This is the tire that has a notably stiffer side wall. 14 ply. We will see how it stands up as we plan to pile on some miles this winter. Heading south in a couple weeks.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Endurance sounds good. However our trailer calls for a “ G “ rated tire. 110 psi.
Not available in a G rating. Should this bother me? Seems that would be going to something lighter!
Or does one only look at weight rating.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Where do you live that LT tires are against the law on trailers?
Hmmm.. really. Perhaps he went to a tire store that can't put LTs on a trailer. Some do that for liability issues, making it 'against the law' for that store.

There are large 5ers that come with LT tires as original equipment
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wilber1 wrote:
I know mine work when it is several degrees below freezing but I don't know how cold they will go.
Is trailer tire sealant effective at cold temps? 🙂
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
TPMS would be great. Trying to decide if I can afford a set. I called the manufacturer of them and the batteries will not work in colder weather which of course could be a big part of our trip south.

How cold? I know mine work when it is several degrees below freezing but I don't know how cold they will go.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Where do you live that LT tires are against the law on trailers?
Hmmm.. really. Perhaps he went to a tire store that can't put LTs on a trailer. Some do that for liability issues, making it 'against the law' for that store.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman